John Angelos is Right About Emulating the Rays

baltfan

9 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

For the record, I don't 'crow." Nor do I howl at the moon! I was talking Rays - Orioles. I was comparing fan bases. Look up Tamps's attendance this year and they have a much longer span of relavence. Tampa is 27th. In my opinion, they have a ho/hum fan base. See Attendance thread re Orioles increase in attendance in 2023. You should try scotch.

I don't drink.

I don't think you should suggest others drink without knowing their history.

2 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

Hell will freeze before I cheer on JA for anything other than selling the team. I could cheer ME for trying to emulate the Rays but I refuse to believe JA will let him. JA has already gone on record saying that increased spending depends on increased revenue. To me that says his baseline is current salary levels which allowed him to bank $150 M in profit the last 2 years. This year should be even better but I doubt ME gets another $30 M to spend.

This is what happens when you have an owner who is not independently rich. I know, different sport, bu compare the Baltimore Ravens under Bisciotti (independently rich), a class organization, to the Baltimore Colts under Irsay (only business was the team), trashy organization. It's not a fluke. Owners who are not independently rich count each dollar, they tend to micromanage and do not allow their front offices make any big-money transactions without their being involved all the way.

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't drink.

I don't think you should suggest others drink without knowing their history.

Good advice.  Although I do drink.  Stick with vodka and a healthy mixer like a watermelon juice.  Something clear and something that will keep you hydrated. You will never get a hangover.  It is the darkness of alcohol that causes much more of the hangover and ill effects rather than the amount you drink.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

It seems to me that it is quite clear that the key to the Rays success has been their consistent ability to have a top notch pitching staff almost year after year even as the players, manager, and front office executives change. Nobody has done this as good as them over the last 15 years. However, despite all of that they have no rings. Yes I know that there is a certain luck/randomness factor in the small sample size of the postseason. But I'm hesitant when adopting a goal of good but never good enough. What's wrong with the Astros model? They don't have a bunch of high priced Free Agents and have won championships. That seems like at least from a success standpoint who I would be trying to chance if I'm the O's.

I don't have the numbers, but the Astros are much more deep-pocketed than the Orioles or Rays. They are able to afford some big contracts. There is nothing inherently wrong with big contracts (when you can afford them), it's about the right big contracts. See Chris Davis.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You asked who else they had extended.

I gave you that information.

Not sure why you are busy now coming up with reasons why those guys shouldn't count.

You've been lamenting about us not signing our players. I've asked you who would accept arbitration buyouts at 3/12 or 4/31? Whether you realize it or not, your posts in regards to the Rays are implying that they are handing out deals like Franco's to all of their young talent. They simply aren't. I guess if they gave Ramon a 6/24 deal that would be in line with what Tampa is doing.

Edited by Malike

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

The O's have an elite scouting and development program and a #1 farm system.  Just need time to get them all established in the majors.

Why do you say the Orioles have "an elite" scouting and development program? To me, elite would imply that it's among the top five or six in MLB. I don't have any idea how the Orioles' scouting or player development (to me, they're two different things) ranks. By what criteria are they elite?

1 hour ago, Uli2001 said:

I don't have the numbers, but the Astros are much more deep-pocketed than the Orioles or Rays. They are able to afford some big contracts. There is nothing inherently wrong with big contracts (when you can afford them), it's about the right big contracts. See Chris Davis.

About 10 years ago they were considered a “small market” like the Padres used to be considered as well. The Astros went a season (maybe 2012?) without a tv deal I believe. The market size in baseball and just about most American sports comes down to the owners willingness to spend. Some teams generate more revenue than others but all of the owners have deep pockets. After all, they are all BILLIONAIRES.

8 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I really had hopes that when the Dad moved on the son(s) would be much better owners. 

Very similar to how good of an owner son Irsay is to daddy Irsay with the Colts.

Instead it is even worse now.  :(

How is it worse?  The team is in first and he isn’t interfering with the front office. 

1 hour ago, Malike said:

You've been lamenting about us not signing our players. I've asked you who would accept arbitration buyouts at 3/12 or 4/31? Whether you realize it or not, your posts in regards to the Rays are implying that they are handing out deals like Franco's to all of their young talent. They simply aren't. I guess if they gave Ramon a 6/24 deal that would be in line with what Tampa is doing.

The Rays under current ownership have been signing guys since Longoria.