Orioles could have 3 picks before the 2nd round

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2023 at 1:05 PM, jem709 said:

Infrequent writer, I THINK I read some where that the pick can go higher depending on who exceeded the salary cap. Again just wanting to know not even close to an expert .

You are correct:

2024 MLB Draft lottery odds

The Mets, Yankees and Padres, by virtue of not making the playoffs, are in the lottery, and will hold their selection if they win a top-six pick. If they don’t, all three would have their selection moved back 10 places in the Draft because they exceeded the surcharge tax threshold with their player payrolls for 2023. If any of these teams do secure a lottery pick, its second-highest pick would be moved back 10 spots.

Here's to hoping that the Mets (7th best lottery odds), Padres (15th best) and Yankees (16th best) finish between 15th and 18th dropping the O's to the 21st pick.

**These picks are subject to change, and potentially improve, after CBT penalties are handed out to the Yankees, Padres and Mets.

Based on my understanding of these penalties, each of those teams could move down 10 spots (dependent on them NOT getting a top 6 pick in the lottery, so the O's #24 pick could potentially move up to #21 at the highest.

I think baseball has done a decent job of giving the smaller market clubs certain advantages in the absence of a salary cap.  Extra draft picks, bigger draft spending allotments, bigger international amateur spending allotments.   Those things do add up if a team knows what it’s doing.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think baseball has done a decent job of giving the smaller market clubs certain advantages in the absence of a salary cap.  Extra draft picks, bigger draft spending allotments, bigger international amateur spending allotments.   Those things do add up if a team knows what it’s doing.  

Disagree. MLB continues to poop on small market teams.  The draft is a crapshoot- many of these guys are never heard from, even first rounders. The International guys are also a crapshoot- some teams hit the jackpot with a Juan Soto while other teams get a Yusniel Diaz.  And the very best International Free Agents sign with the highest bidder- favoring the large market teams.  We'll see which zillionaire signs Yammamoto...

Billionaires can purchase World Series titles with a checkbook (it happened this year).

MLB has done nothing to create parity. This is putting lipstick on a pig. #Theonlysportwithoutacap.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, DocJJ said:

Disagree. MLB continues to poop on small market teams.  The draft is a crapshoot- many of these guys are never heard from, even first rounders. The International guys are also a crapshoot- some teams hit the jackpot with a Juan Soto while other teams get a Yusniel Diaz.  And the very best International Free Agents sign with the highest bidder- favoring the large market teams.  We'll see which zillionaire signs Yammamoto...

Billionaires can purchase World Series titles with a checkbook (it happened this year).

MLB has done nothing to create parity. This is putting lipstick on a pig. #Theonlysportwithoutacap.

My point is simply, if you’re not going to have a cap, they’ve done a pretty good job of thinking of other ways to allow small market teams to compensate.  And let’s be clear, the owners would gladly have a cap.   It’s the union that doesn’t want one.  Not that I blame them for not wanting it.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

My point is simply, if you’re not going to have a cap, they’ve done a pretty good job of thinking of other ways to allow small market teams to compensate.  And let’s be clear, the owners would gladly have a cap.   It’s the union that doesn’t want one.  Not that I blame them for not wanting it.

In my opinion, if MLB is not going to have a cap, they need to do more. There should be a foreign player draft like the June amateur draft where the teams draft the players in order of reverse finish. The worst team should have the opportunity to draft and add Yammamoto to their team, not whichever team's owner is the richest.  Teams above a certain payroll should sacrifice draft picks, and international draft picks. Teams that lose a valuable free agent should be picking at the front of the rounds in the draft, not after the top 30 players are gone...  there is a lot more that could be done...

Or the player's union could stop being such disgusting greedy pigs and allow a cap- like all other sports have done....