Orioles could have 3 picks before the 2nd round

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

It’s like November 13th or something close to that.  Kinda stupid to wait so long. 

Why is it stupid?  Like all the other sports, MLB likes to find ways to keep the public’s attention year-round, even when they’re not playing.  There’s plenty of attention on the playoffs now, so why distract from it with awards?   November is a great time, after the playoffs are over and before most significant offseason events and transactions occur.  

Where will our pool money rank because of the extra pick and comp A pick?

It’s hard to predict what will be there when we pick but I like the idea of NCAA bat, HS bat overslot, NCAA bat. Keep buying the bats early and keeping a strength a strength. 

Also, the three “first rd picks” will hopefully keep Sig entertained enough. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Why is it stupid?  Like all the other sports, MLB likes to find ways to keep the public’s attention year-round, even when they’re not playing.  There’s plenty of attention on the playoffs now, so why distract from it with awards?   November is a great time, after the playoffs are over and before most significant offseason events and transactions occur.  

I guess now that I think about it, it probably is fine.  Your are correct that it will fall at some time after the World Series is completed.  I thought in the past this was announced druing the playoffs, but I might be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2023 at 8:50 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Where will our pool money rank because of the extra pick and comp A pick?

It’s hard to predict what will be there when we pick but I like the idea of NCAA bat, HS bat overslot, NCAA bat. Keep buying the bats early and keeping a strength a strength. 

Also, the three “first rd picks” will hopefully keep Sig entertained enough. 

Hmm. I wonder how many people here would prefer High School Pitcher, High School Bat, College Pitcher, or something close.

On 10/17/2023 at 9:41 AM, Rbiggs2525 said:

Should be pick 22 right? 

Do they do draft order based on what round you were eliminated in? If so, I'd think we're 25 based on this (maybe wrong) logic...

27-30 = final four teams (Texas, Houston, Philly, Arizona)

23-26 = teams eliminated in the division series', in reverse order of record. So Atlanta gets 26, we get 25, Dodgers get 24 and Minnesota gets 23.

Is that right?

11 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Do they do draft order based on what round you were eliminated in? If so, I'd think we're 25 based on this (maybe wrong) logic...

27-30 = final four teams (Texas, Houston, Philly, Arizona)

23-26 = teams eliminated in the division series', in reverse order of record. So Atlanta gets 26, we get 25, Dodgers get 24 and Minnesota gets 23.

Is that right?

I believe so.  

On 10/4/2023 at 10:24 PM, Frobby said:

I know this is why they wait but this is so dumb.

If you are watching the playoffs, does knowing who won MVP distract you from the game? This reasoning has always been dumb to me.(and that’s the case for all sports, not just baseball)

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I know this is why they wait but this is so dumb.

If you are watching the playoffs, does knowing who won MVP distract you from the game? This reasoning has always been dumb to me.(and that’s the case for all sports, not just baseball)

That is not the point.  The point is that the World Series end in early November, and then there’s virtually no baseball news until the Winter Meetings in December.  So, the awards announcements fill some of that void and keep some media attention on baseball when nothing else is happening.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

That is not the point.  The point is that the World Series end in early November, and then there’s virtually no baseball news until the Winter Meetings in December.  So, the awards announcements fill some of that void and keep some media attention on baseball when nothing else is happening.  

The media spends about 2 minutes discussing baseball awards.

And yes, I’m aware this is part of it too but it’s also a dumb reason to wait. 

Edited by Sports Guy