The Tyler Wells story.

Natty

I’m not really sure what the question is about Wells.  First of all, let me say, I love the guy.  But the team is monitoring him in Norfolk and I’m sure they’d bring him up if they thought he’d be effective.  He got shelled his last time out, after a couple of decent outings.  If the team decides he can help them, you’ll see him.  If they don’t, you won’t.  Simple as that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I don't profess to know what happened to Wells - you apparentley don't know what happened to Wells - we can blame it on Hyde,Frazier, Elias, or even Wells, whoever fits anyone's agenda - we lost a one run game - one loss out of three games in Houston - our bullpen is taxed - we are playing a million games in a row without a break - Tampa is losing as I type - we still lead the division - the world will not end tonight. This team of players that nobody wanted is doing pretty damn well - thank you. We lost our best relief pitcher and are still winning. Pitchers break and Wells wearing down is not a new phenomenon. Let's just keep winning series.

• Upvote 1

Not sure Wells has a full season of being dominant so far in his career. He would be with the team right now based if he was dominant. Would be awesome if he had the gas to finish the year in the playoffs, but that is not happening at this moment.

right now we need someone to dominate in the bullpen! Who that is will be figured out or be filled in with control or veteran pitchers for the playoffs. Every team is going through this in some regards. Wish the team did not end the season with 20+ straight games

Edited by Since1984

13 minutes ago, Natty said:

The question is simple.  How did we lose our best starting pitcher at the break? 

Has this ever happened before to other teams?

He got hurt somehow, or just ran out of gas after exceeding his 2022 innings total.  Who knows?  I doubt it’s because the O’s gave him extra rest between his last 1st half start and his first 2nd half start, if that’s what you’re suggesting.  

39 minutes ago, Natty said:

It's just great to think we are going into the playoffs with this bullpen.

Good luck to our team. 

I hope our hitters can really hit good. 

Seriously, many of our pitchers, no other team wanted. 

It likely wouldn't be this way if Givens and Tate hadn't been hurt all year and DL Hall also hadn't regressed the first part of the year. 

If your criticism is that Elias should have done a bigger trade before the deadline to get a difference making reliever (maybe two of them), then many of us agree with you.  I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when he got Fuji and Flaherty, but they haven't exactly worked out.  And Wells does not appear to be back in form yet, so no dice there.  And then of course the team loses Bautista, causing more stress on the pen.  But Elias must have thought the David Robertson type pitchers were too expensive prospect-wise to strike a deal for any of them.

The good news is that Flaherty could end up being successful in the bullpen, Means looks like he can start on a regular basis, which also means Irvin would likely remain in the pen (I'm guessing anyway).  Fujinami probably should no longer be used in close game situations.  

I'm hoping in the playoffs the starters are allowed to go a little deeper, at least when they are having a good game or have a decent lead.  

1 minute ago, Natty said:

Who says we keep bringing in Fuji to ruin games like today. Instead of trying Wells? 

Speak now or forever hold your peace.

The O's management. Good luck convincing them on the OH that it's a bad idea. You could however, send an angry letter to the warehouse.

Edited by Malike