Update Again Again: OPACY lease officially official, done and approved, for real this time

spleen1015

6 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

And they haven’t moved. This news seems to further the certainty they remain. Seems odd to criticize him for saying this. 

I was talking about the lease negotiations dragging on for years. The interest rates and the cost to the taxpayers would have been alot cheaper if he extended back then. They are not going anywhere. Might have probably been a different story if the legislation would not have passed a bill for 1.2  billion  in stadium improvements.  But probably would have given the team something. 

On 9/29/2023 at 3:01 PM, Sports Guy said:

But the deal isn’t agreed to. If it were, it would be signed. It’s not signed.

And it’s how and when they announced it. They wanted that publicity and they lied to get it.

They even said last night that Moore was going to have a press conference about it today at 10AM. Even that didn’t happen.

The Sun's Editorial Board (i.e. not one writer's opinion) summed it up perfectly for me

At a news briefing Friday morning, where journalists were told they couldn’t quote anyone by name, state officials confirmed that no actual lease had been finalized. Instead, a memorandum of understanding — containing no legally enforceable promises — had been signed expressing a commitment to an eventual 30-year lease and various other provisions. In other words, they’d agreed to agree at some point in the future, while the clock for the expiration of the current lease on Dec. 31 keeps ticking.

Isn’t that what they’ve been doing for the past three years? What makes this any different?

This line is a dagger

Why not just let the team’s clinch be the big news of the day? Why make it about you?

JA.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Over/under Angelos "actually" signing the lease by Dec. 22.5?

This whole thing is so ridiculous, I won't surprised if he takes this all the way up to the week of Dec 31. Any guesses on what JA is still lobbying for? Seemed to me that Moore squashed the potential for further redevelopment rights, but I could have misunderstood.

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The good news is that it is extremely difficult for a MLB team to move.  The Oakland A's are a huge failure using just about any metric, but they still don't have approval to move.  I don't think the O's would even be under consideration to move.

I'm not worried about the team moving. Though I do believe Angelos has attempted to explore that route. More that this has turned into a fiasco full of BS that is going to cost the tax payers of Maryland. And the man just won't relent.

Honestly, this whole thing is so infuriating.   The fact that it's not done yet.  The fact that they did a big special announcement on the day the O's clinched that ultimately was simply misleading the public further but looked good for the cameras.

ugh

56 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

I'm not worried about the team moving. Though I do believe Angelos has attempted to explore that route. More that this has turned into a fiasco full of BS that is going to cost the tax payers of Maryland. And the man just won't relent.

It is still impossible for me to see how he has any negotiation leverage at all.  The PR optics are bad for him and the politicians are playing nice with him to get something done even though they no doubt wish he was Steve Bisciotti lol. 
But the Orioles are a huge and only money source for him.  If he doesn’t sign the lease, where is the team going to play in 2024?  Norfolk?  If he does not sign, he defaults on his agreement with MLB as to venue.  In poker, his bluffing needed to be called long ago. 

Edited by tntoriole

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I have no concerns at all that the team will move.   I do have concerns that Angelos will extort a series of unwarranted concessions that benefit him personally but do nothing for the Baltimore Orioles or the city.   

Imo without any knowledge of the facts , just based on JA's behavior, I would say John A. is more focused on lining his pockets at the expense of the city and state than winning a World Series.  If he can get a World Series team on the cheap that will make him a ton of money, I'm sure he would be excited about that.

The Sun did an article today about the lease negotiations. Not a chirp. I guess no news is good news.

A chorus of Democrats was asked to sing the praises of an Orioles stadium deal. There hasn’t been a chirp since.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-pol-orioles-lease-democrats-20231019-n2x65ido65cetp4nf3mtrabwuy-story.html

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I have no concerns at all that the team will move.   I do have concerns that Angelos will extort a series of unwarranted concessions that benefit him personally but do nothing for the Baltimore Orioles or the city.   

And that could really hack off Steve Bisciotti !!! Who may then want to renegotiate lol 

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He wouldn't need to renegotiate.

Their deal includes an Os matching provision ?  I wonder how a srrounding the stadium development deal would be shared or if just an estimated cash value would flow to Ravens? 

So ,in that case, Bisciotti is rooting for Angelos lol 

Edited by tntoriole

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Their deal includes an Os matching provision ?  I wonder how a srrounding the stadium development deal would be shared or if just an estimated cash value would flow to Ravens? 

So ,in that case, Bisciotti is rooting for Angelos lol 

It does.  Ravens aren't fools after all.