The O’s - Rangers ALDS

Frobby

Here come the Rangers, 90-72 during the regular season and 2-0 vs. Tampa, outscoring the Rays 11-1 in the two games.  

During the season, the teams split 3-3, with the O’s taking 2 of 3 in Texas in April, and the Rangers taking 2 of 3 at OPACY in May.

No pitching matchups have been announced, but Andrew Heaney (10-6, 4.15 ERA), Dane Dunning (12-7, 3.70 ERA), and Martin Perez 
(10-4, 4.45 ERA) are all available for game one.  Presumptively, it will be Jordan Montgomery (10-11, 3.20 overall;  4-2, 2.79 with Texas) in Game 2 and Nathan Eovaldi (12-5, 3.63) in Game 3.  

The Rangers had the top offense in the AL at 5.44 runs/game (1st) , 113 OPS+ (2nd).   The O’s were 4th in both categories at 4.98 R/G, 107 OPS+.   The Rangers have a very balanced lineup with 5 players over 110 OPS and another 4 at 100 or better.   Corey Seager leads the way at .327/.390/.623 (170 OPS+), 33 homers and 96 RBI.  Adolis Garcia had an .836 OPS with 39 homers and 107 RBI, and Marcus Semien chipped in 29 homers and 100 RBI.   

The bullpen is the Rangers’ weak spot, at 4.77 ERA (11th in the AL) and a 48% save rate (dead last).  But, it will be shored up a bit by whichever starters are in the bullpen. 

All in all, it looks like the burden will be on the O’s lineup to score some early runs, drive up pitch counts, and get into that Texas pen.  The Texas offense isn’t one that’s easily held down. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Can’t wait. I remember how electric OPACY was in 2014 against the Tigers, and that was just watching on TV. Can’t even imagine what it was like actually being there. There’s nothing like playoff baseball at Oriole Park, it’s just a shame there have been so few instances of it. 

They have a lot of lefty pitchers too. Might see someone like McKenna/Urias instead of Kjerstad in this series.

I doubt this is easy. They also have a fair number of lefty hitters, which theoretically bodes well for them in Camden Yards. This could be a series where Coulombe, Hall and Perez get some high leverage innings.

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

They have a lot of lefty pitchers too. Might see someone like McKenna/Urias instead of Kjerstad in this series.

I doubt this is easy. They also have a fair number of lefty hitters, which theoretically bodes well for them in Camden Yards. This could be a series where Coulombe, Hall and Perez get some high leverage innings.

Was there ever a question of Urias being on the playoff roster?

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Heaney was moved to the pen although he did just go 4 IP recently, so they could have him start.

6th in OAA and 6th in DRS. Great offense. Starting pitching is top 10 in ERA.

Jon Gray factors in as well.

Os hitters have struggled vs their starters.

Gray is on the IL and not available for the series. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Was there ever a question of Urias being on the playoff roster?

Only a slight one. He has reverse splits, so it's not like he's a reliable RH hitter against lefties. Plus his defense has been, well not as good as it had been.

But yeah, he's going to be on the roster and likely starting at 3B against lefties in this series. You could argue that Mateo is a better option, but I think the plan is to use him in high leverage late inning base-running circumstances.

25 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

One of my big concerns in this series is their potential ability to shut down Gunnar with their plethora of lefties. He will not see many, if any, at bats after the 4th or 5th inning Vs righties.

Edited by Sports Guy

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

One of my big concerns in this series is their potential ability to shut down Gunnar with their plethora of lefties. He will not see many, if any, at bats after the 4th or 5th inning Vs righties.

Bochy seemed really hesitant to bring his bullpen in during the Tampa series. I doubt they start going to the pen in the 4th inning if they have a lead.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The three batter rule is still in effect in the playoff, so putting Mountcastle directly after Gunnar in the lineup will mitigate this somewhat.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 1