of course, I CARE. But if we lose ...I'm perfectly happy with the season

Roy Firestone

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have a hard time working myself up to very upset when it is a matter of a group of folks I don't personally know playing a game against another group of folks I don't personally know.

I guess I'm not young enough anymore to get that level of invested in something I can't in any way influence.

In your old age your more of a “spend a couple hours a day, 365 days a year, posting about and analyzing your favorite baseball team” kind of investment level guy?😎

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

In your old age your more of a “spend a couple hours a day, 365 days a year, posting about and analyzing your favorite baseball team” kind of investment level guy?😎

I can't control the outcome so it is silly to me to get "very upset" about it.

It's short series baseball, I hope they win but I realize that even at this stage they are more likely to fail than succeed.

Someone is probably going to accuse me of not being a real fan again...

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

I will be momentarily deflated if we lose at any stage of the playoffs.   But it’s been a fantastic season, and nothing that happens in the postseason will detract what this team did over a 162-game marathon in a super-strong division.  I’ll be thrilled with how 2023 went no matter what happens from here. 

This is where I’m at. Initial disappointment but thrilled with the season. I’m also not overly pessimistic about this, unlike a lot of people. 

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can't control the outcome so it is silly to me to get "very upset" about it.

It's short series baseball, I hope they win but I realize that even at this stage they are more likely to fail than succeed.

Someone is probably going to accuse me of not being a real fan again...

Just joshing you.  I held out for a decade or so, but you’ve sense proven your fandom to me.  I’m sure some others are harsher judges.  Lol 

Edited by emmett16

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

This is where I’m at. Initial disappointment but thrilled with the season. I’m also not overly pessimistic about this, unlike a lot of people. 

They just keep winning.  I’ll be a little surprised/disappointed if that stops.  Theyve been doing it for 6 months.  I’ve come to expect it.  

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have a hard time working myself up to very upset when it is a matter of a group of folks I don't personally know playing a game against another group of folks I don't personally know.

I guess I'm not young enough anymore to get that level of invested in something I can't in any way influence.

I hear you. Everybodys fandom is different. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

The O's have  done this with homegrown players, not a  bunch of rentals.   There's still hope for 2024 and beyond.

As long as John Angelos doesn't screw things up this team as a bright future regardless of what happens this postseason. Most of the top prospects haven't come up yet or played a full season.

Gunnar and Grayson should only improve as they gain more experience.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

I'm new, but the loser mentality I encounter in some of these threads has to be a form of PTSD. The O's are the number one seed in the AL, they don't get to the WS, it's a f-ing debacle.  Full stop.  You are only getting so many shots at this. They got magic in a bottle this year, you win now or live with the very real possibility that might have blown your only opportunity. There is no guarantee they becomes the Astros.

The GM and owner already showed their hand in the off-season not going after elite pitching or a superstar bat because they didn't think our window was open, like correct me if I'm wrong, you ain't signing a decent pitcher unless you're giving them a multi-year commitment, why wasn't that commitment started this off-season? It maximizes your opportunities. 

Just now, Robert Drake said:

I'm new, but the loser mentality I encounter in some of these threads has to be a form of PTSD. The O's are the number one seed in the AL, they don't get to the WS, it's a f-ing debacle.  Full stop.  You are only getting so many shots at this. They got magic in a bottle this year, you win now or live with the very real possibility that might have blown your only opportunity. There is no guarantee they becomes the Astros.

The GM and owner already showed their hand in the off-season not going after elite pitching or a superstar bat because they didn't think our window was open, like correct me if I'm wrong, you ain't signing a decent pitcher unless you're giving them a multi-year commitment, why wasn't that commitment started this off-season? It maximizes your opportunities. 

No it's not a debacle.

It's baseball.

The top seed in the AL and NL often don't make the world series.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

No it's not a debacle.

It's baseball.

The top seed in the AL and NL often don't make the world series.

Speak for yourself. It's been 40 years since this team made it to a World Series. They are the #1 seed, they blow it, it's on them, they are responsible . Are you one of these guys who think the O's are just gonna roll for 5-6 years, so we'll have plenty of opportunities? Bollix. These opportunities are scarce. 

The fact many teams blow these opportunities is completely and utterly irrelevant to the Orioles.  What logic are you employing here? Other teams choke frequently, therefore if we choke it's not a disaster? Ridiculous.  I'm sorry, the O's aren't the Dodgers or Yankees in the playoffs every year, if you get one shot a decade, you better close the deal. 

Guess you didn't find those Showalter failures distressing, or found them somehow excusable and I don't agree with that. Don't agree with rationalizing failure which is what some of you do.  My point was this team could of been made better in the off-season and management decided not to do that. Should of went big in the off-season, the money will have to be spent, you should of started spending it last off-season.

Edited by Robert Drake

4 minutes ago, Robert Drake said:

Speak for yourself. It's been 40 years since this team made it to a World Series. They are the #1 seed, they blow it, it's on them, they are responsible . Are you one of these guys who think the O's are just gonna roll for 5-6 years, so we'll have plenty of opportunities? Bollix. These opportunities are scarce. 

The fact many teams blow these opportunities is completely and utterly irrelevant to the Orioles.  What logic are you employing here? Other teams choke frequently, therefore if we choke it's not a disaster? Ridiculous.  I'm sorry, the O's aren't the Dodgers or Yankees in the playoffs every year, if you get one shot a decade, you better close the deal. 

It's awesome when new members show up and are uber-aggressive on the board. I foresee a lot of quality posts in the near future.

Winning in the playoffs is easy, they should just do it when they get the chance. Why didn't Hyde tell them this before the game?

If they lose it's not because they choked, it's because winning in the playoffs is a very hard thing to do. The fact that you need that explained to you is both baffling and embarrassing.

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2023 at 7:58 PM, Frobby said:

I will be momentarily deflated if we lose at any stage of the playoffs.   But it’s been a fantastic season, and nothing that happens in the postseason will detract what this team did over a 162-game marathon in a super-strong division.  I’ll be thrilled with how 2023 went no matter what happens from here. 

23 hours ago, Malike said:

This is house money from where I sit. What a great season, and even if they don't advance out of this round I just hope they are competitive and grow from the experience of the playoffs.

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

Age is a factor in this way: some of us are old enough to have seen the Orioles win 1, 2 or 3 World Series.  Some of us aren’t.  I can certainly see that a longtime fan who has never seen their team win it all might be more frustrated with a loss than those who have already been to the promised land, even if it has been 40 years of wandering in the desert since then. 

This is about where I am.  There'd be a bit of a disappointment initially but it's been a great season.  To go from where we were in 2021 to last year to this year is unprecedented.  You could see it taking shape last year after Adley got called up, then Gunnar...and it took a quantum leap forward this year.

So yeah, if they lose to the Rangers here it'll sting a little bit but I know I'll look back on this season fondly with good memories.

9 minutes ago, Robert Drake said:

Guess you didn't find those Showalter failures distressing, or found them somehow excusable and I don't agree with that. Don't agree with rationalizing failure which is what some of you do.  My point was this team could of been made better in the off-season and management decided not to do that. Should of went big in the off-season, the money will have to be spent, you should of started spending it last off-season.

This is a bit of hyperbole.

Yes, the Orioles are set up to be good for the next 5-6 years, maybe even more.  IMO, as long as Elias and Sig are here, as long as they're pumping time, money and effort into the draft and the international/South American markets to find young talent, this is sustainable.  

I think you're the only one here who thinks this is our only shot.  Yeah, it might have been our first shot in awhile but it doesn't mean it's the only one.  

You should also know that spending money doesn't automatically make a ballclub better.  It's funny that you included Showalter in the opening of that final paragraph and then started blabbing about how they should of...excuse me, should HAVE spent money this past winter.  That's exactly what the Mets did and look where it got them.  Look where it got the Yankees.

I don't disagree that they'll need to spend money, I just want them to do it wisely.  Blowing money left and right in free agency is pretty risky and the results aren't always guaranteed.  But I'm assuming you knew that.

• Upvote 1