Gunnar tried to steal second on his own...to disastrous results..

Roy Firestone

12 hours ago, baltimoriole said:

I remember reading data showing Henderson's 1st to 3rd time was in the 90 percentile, and his time from home to 1st was blazing fast relative to other hitters. I thought he'd be a bigger threat on the bases this year. He's really not. Sort of like Machado. 

He doesn't seem to get good jumps, and Heim is one of the better catchers at controlling the running game.

Pretty sure we still lose if he doesn't steal though.

49 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

He doesn't seem to get good jumps, and Heim is one of the better catchers at controlling the running game.

Pretty sure we still lose if he doesn't steal though.

He definitely doesn’t get great jumps.  He is also a top speed vs first step guy.  It takes a bit for him to get going. 

In addition to it being a bad out, the pitcher was struggling to find the zone.  You don't give up an out in that situation.  If Hicks walks there, it's two on and no outs and the pitcher continues to struggle.  But that out put some wind back in his sails and the inning ended.  Did it all cost us the game?  Probably not, but it was a shame not to play that inning out a little better.

The double play the inning before, I think, was a killer too.  Just a tough close loss.  We get another chance today.

“Thought it was a good time to take it. Didn’t happen. Hate that it didn’t happen,” Henderson said

Seems to me that either Henderson or Hicks missed the sign, but unless Gunnar was just trying to cover for Hicks, it kinda seems like he went on his own with this quote.

Hyde said it was a "miscommunication" which suggests the hit and run was on and Hicks missed the sign. Did anyone hear a Hicks quote on the situation?

5 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

In addition to it being a bad out, the pitcher was struggling to find the zone.  You don't give up an out in that situation.  If Hicks walks there, it's two on and no outs and the pitcher continues to struggle.  But that out put some wind back in his sails and the inning ended.  Did it all cost us the game?  Probably not, but it was a shame not to play that inning out a little better.

The double play the inning before, I think, was a killer too.  Just a tough close loss.  We get another chance today.

Yep. The Santander double play was a +27% win probability play. Gunnar CS was +22%, I believe the second biggest play of the game. The Garcia-Carter-Heim sequence was +26% all together, and the Jung HR was +13.