Adley, Hays, Mountcastle finalists for Gold Gloves

Mooreisbetter27

2 minutes ago, ChipTait said:

Hays will get extra credit for playing LF at Camden Yards. 

no Gunnar for Utility?  Insane. 

It's the Gold Gloves, it's silly not insane.

I'm not shocked that Gunnar air mailed enough throws this year to move himself out of contention.

I fully expect him to win a couple in his Oriole tenure.

All three are decent GG nominees.  I’ll be a little surprised if any of them win.

Catcher

AR: +3 Rtot, +2 Rdrs, +13 FG defense, +7 blocking, +5 framing, 0 throwing 

JH: +10 Rtot, .+6 Rdrs, .+22.8 FG defense, 0 blocking, +10 framing, +5 throwing

AK: +4 Rtot, +17 Rdrs, +16.2 FG defense,  +14 blocking, +5 framing, -1 thtowing

Seems like both Heim and Kirk have a stronger case than Adley.  My guess: Heim.  

1B

RM: +6 Rtot, +2 Rdrs, +1.7 UZR, -1 OAA

NL: +9 Rtot, +3 Rdrs, +0.5 UZR, +4 OAA

AR: +4 Rtot, +3 Rdrs, -1.8 UZR, +6 OAA

My guess is Lowe, who was on the field a lot more than either Mountcastle or Rizzo.

LF

AH: +4/+2 Rtot, +6/+7 Rdrs, +6.6/+7.0 UZR, 0/-1 OAA

SK: +9 Rtot, +16 Rdrs, +4.9 UZR, +9 OAA

DV: +9/+2 Rtot, +8/+4 Rdrs, +11.6/+2.4 UZR, +10/+1 OAA

Both Hays and Varsho played more than one OF spot.  I’ve shown their OF/LF grades because I’m not sure which the GG voters consider.   My guess is the award goes to Kwan, who won last year.

In any event, congrats to our players for their nominations.

Edited by Frobby
F

8 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Not saying it in a negative way but Adley wasn’t the best defensive catcher on our team this year. Gunnar was by far our best defensive back player. 

The only aspect of catching where McCann was rated higher than Adley was throwing, where he was +2 compared to Adley’s 0.  Adley was much better in blocking (+7 to -6) and framing (+5 to 0).   

I do think Gunnar was our best defender,   He was hurt by the fact that he started 68 games at 3B and 64 games at SS, so he wasn’t close to the top at either position in cumulative stats.  I was surprised he didn’t get nominated at the utility spot, but maybe they’re looking for guys who played more than two positions.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hays deserves to win. The only reason I'm surprised Mountcastle is a finalist is because of how much time he lost because of either injury or sharing platoon time with O'Hearn. 

I don't think Adley had his best year catching. I think he was better in 2022. This year we saw him try to lazily backhand swipe too many bad pitches that got past him, and a few that were just aired iniches past his mitt. In 2022 he was more active in sliding like a goalie and using the correct technique (leaning forward and body block) to stop bad pitches. I think alot of the mistakes we witnessed during 2023 might have been fatigue.

• 2 weeks later...