I feel better about losing to Texas now

Frobby

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not much for excuses.

Ohh we can't win because the big bad market teams spend more money than we want to.

It's been shown that a team with a smaller payroll can win if properly run.

Yes, money isn't everything....but it sure helps. Yankee fans cant believe they missed the playoffs for the first time in like 25 years. 

Oriole fans will be happy with this new playoff system soon enough. Good chance this O's core doesn't win the division the next couple of years....but make the playoffs and anything can happen. 

I feel the same as I did.  Winners are random.  O's had a 50/50 shot of winning that series.  Plus or minus a few percentage points.  Then the same for the LCS and WS.  So about a 1 in 8 chance at winning it all.

The only real disappointment on my end is that they clearly didn't play their best baseball, but tough to place too much blame on any one thing in a 3-game series.  Just have to hope you're playing well at the right time.

8 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

Yes, money isn't everything....but it sure helps. Yankee fans cant believe they missed the playoffs for the first time in like 25 years

Oriole fans will be happy with this new playoff system soon enough. Good chance this O's core doesn't win the division the next couple of years....but make the playoffs and anything can happen. 

They missed in 2014.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not much for excuses.

Ohh we can't win because the big bad market teams spend more money than we want to.

It's been shown that a team with a smaller payroll can win if properly run.

Oh I totally agree…but if you went to 4 playoff teams, the Orioles can only get a chance at 2 of them.

They can have an excellent year and still miss out. The extra margin for error that the big spenders get matters over 162 games. It doesn’t mean you can’t beat them but it does mean that over the course of a long period of time, the bigger spenders have that margin for error that makes it harder for them to get one of the 2 spots they have a chance at.

4 hours ago, 24fps said:

I only need to see one.  Two leagues, two divisions per league, one seven-game playoff for league champion and the WS.  Baseball in November is also a joke, and a bad one at that.

This is the worse part. At least this year it will be in warm climates. Baseball needs to be done by Mid-late October. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is the worse part. At least this year it will be in warm climates. Baseball needs to be done by Mid-late October. 

I was looking today at Milwaukee and Minnesota, which could have been in WS.  The high in Minneapolis next Tuesday is supposed to be 32.  Both cities have several days next week in the low 40’s.  And those are the high temperatures, not what it will be at 8 pm-11 pm.   

I think at some point the Rays or Orioles or Brewers will win a World Series, but I do kind of tinfoil hat feel like no cheapskates yet have flags.

Friedman became the Rays GM in 2004, really bringing the hedge fund stuff and - notably for me - the extreme atomization of all run prevention to the game.    Moneyball was out by then, and Billy Beane's stuff not working in the playoffs was a famous quote.

The last couple decades champions:

2004-2010: BOS, CHW, STL, BOS, PHI, NYY, SFG

2011-2015: STL, SFG, BOS, SFG, KC

2016-2022: CHC, HOU, BOS, WAS, LAD, ATL, HOU

Maybe the Royals were the cheapest, and they at least added Johnny Cueto to the Sal-Hosmer-Moustakas-Cain young stud group.

You can smartest guy in the room Ryan O'Hearn and Jacob Webb your way into the mix, but I don't think one of those squads has gotten all the way.    Tampa closest of course.    I do believe if BAL stays uber-cheap, it'll eat into the young star's competitive resilience.     They know Jacob Webb isn't as good as Aroldis Chapman.

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

I was looking today at Milwaukee and Minnesota, which could have been in WS.  The high in Minneapolis next Tuesday is supposed to be 32.  Both cities have several days next week in the low 40’s.  And those are the high temperatures, not what it will be at 8 pm-11 pm.   

I don’t see this happening anytime soon but I could see MLB eventually making the World Series a neutral site, week-long event in a warm or climate-controlled environment.   It may be necessary if they keep adding rounds to the playoffs.  😂

1 hour ago, btownoriole said:

I don’t see this happening anytime soon but I could see MLB eventually making the World Series a neutral site, week-long event in a warm or climate-controlled environment.   It may be necessary if they keep adding rounds to the playoffs.  😂

I can see it now, World Series games with 10K attendance.