I feel better about losing to Texas now

Frobby

16 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I think at some point the Rays or Orioles or Brewers will win a World Series, but I do kind of tinfoil hat feel like no cheapskates yet have flags.

Friedman became the Rays GM in 2004, really bringing the hedge fund stuff and - notably for me - the extreme atomization of all run prevention to the game.    Moneyball was out by then, and Billy Beane's stuff not working in the playoffs was a famous quote.

The last couple decades champions:

2004-2010: BOS, CHW, STL, BOS, PHI, NYY, SFG

2011-2015: STL, SFG, BOS, SFG, KC

2016-2022: CHC, HOU, BOS, WAS, LAD, ATL, HOU

Maybe the Royals were the cheapest, and they at least added Johnny Cueto to the Sal-Hosmer-Moustakas-Cain young stud group.

You can smartest guy in the room Ryan O'Hearn and Jacob Webb your way into the mix, but I don't think one of those squads has gotten all the way.    Tampa closest of course.    I do believe if BAL stays uber-cheap, it'll eat into the young star's competitive resilience.     They know Jacob Webb isn't as good as Aroldis Chapman.

I think this is actually a pretty good point when it comes to the big market teams vs the smaller markets that have to get away with career years from O'Hearn types to compete.

It will be interesting to see if the Orioles end up with the same problems, especially if ownership won't spend on to extend or acquire high end talent.

No team has ever won a World Series since free agency era started with a predominately internally produced roster.

Can Elias and company do it? We'll see. They built an extremely impressive and deep farm system. Will Mayo or Basallo develop into that 40+ homer bopper that they need? Perhaps. Will Holliday become that top of the order OBP machine to join with Henderson and Adley to be those on base guys with some pop? Perhaps.

Will Bradish and Rodriguez grow into a top 1-2 punch? Perhaps.

The talent looks to be there, but I do think they need to add a top starter to go along with those two and I'd like to see a legitimate middle of the order hitter acquired this offseason. 

But we'll see.

• Upvote 1

On 10/25/2023 at 4:26 PM, Frobby said:

I was looking today at Milwaukee and Minnesota, which could have been in WS.  The high in Minneapolis next Tuesday is supposed to be 32.  Both cities have several days next week in the low 40’s.  And those are the high temperatures, not what it will be at 8 pm-11 pm.   

Milwaukee has a roof, right? And Minnesota people are freaks about the cold, they would show up.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• It is absolutely possible. In 2022, the Mets gave a QO to Bassitt, Nikki, and DeGrom. The Red Sox gave a QO to Boegarts and Eovaldi. The Yankees gave a QO to Judge and Rizzo. The Dodgers gave a QO to Turner and Anderson. I know that it seems to be a foregone conclusion that Santander will not be on the team after this season, and while I generally agree that it is more probable than not that he will not be re-signed, I do think there is a non-zero chance that he will be retained. I think he is the most likely of Mullins, Hays, and himself to be retained, even if it is a small chance. The team has told us how they feel about his bat because he plays essentially everyday, and I have heard Kostka say that they value his clubhouse presence.
    • Santander won’t get a QO, and if he did, he would accept. His defense is declining and we have too many capable youngsters who should replace him effectively. But to your question, I don’t know if there’s a limit, but I doubt it.
    • O's will probably have to wait till July for a trade because there are so many more buyers than sellers.  I think teams like the Blue Jays, Rays Tigers and Mets are likely to be sellers but they are still in the race although not very good teams as constituted. 
    • No Scott. He’s way too undependable. We need someone who WON’T enter a game and walk folks like he’s promoting a healthy lifestyle. He’s been a lot bette4 this season, but he’s too undependable, and we already have too many of those. No Flaherty either. That’s like taking your GF back after she cheated on you.
    • The team's continued success has really put Elias on the spot IMO and I don't see a Flaherty type as an option anymore.  My money is on a sensible trade that comes at a price high enough that most of us here, including myself, won't like, but a premium comes with having bad luck and that's where the O's are at the moment.
    • I would be very surprised if every last one of the GM's Elias talks to about quality starting pitching doesn't start by asking about Westburg and the rest.  Again, I think it's a mistake to believe that the O's have a ton of leverage here.  They certainly have some, and Elias is smart and disciplined, but I don't see any bargains.  I especially don't see the luxury of acting like youth and multiple years of control is any kind of rigid starting point for the O's.
    • I say this as someone who defended Cowser like 2 posts ago, but like his fWAR number is entirely dependent on how much you're buying his defense.  I can totally buy the argument that maybe OAA is overrating him a bit, so he's not really on pace to be a 5.5 win player.  The OAA number is pretty eye-popping.
  • Popular Contributors