Bowden top 40 FA list

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

#30 on this list is Jordan Hicks. 

What if the O's trade Santander and use his proposed salary plus a bit more to offer Hicks a 1/$14m pillow contract to close. If you want to add an option, fine. But if Bowden is speculating his likely contract is 3/$30 and he's 27 years old, why not bet on yourself and join a likely playoff team that needs a closer?

Hick’s cannot stay healthy. Any new contract signed will cancel his two years remaining with the Yankees, I believe. Hicks may be an option if Hays and/or Santander gets traded, with plenty of at bats available considering Hick’s DL time.

Not sure how the O’s can fit in a better hitter than Santander with veteran experience, but would be more willing for an OF trade in this market if a better MOO hitter was available. Maybe the internal growth remedies all the potential offensive loss of a Hays or Santander trade too.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

Hick’s cannot stay healthy. Any new contract signed will cancel his two years remaining with the Yankees, I believe. Hicks may be an option if Hays and/or Santander gets traded, with plenty of at bats available considering Hick’s DL time.

Not sure how the O’s can fit in a better hitter than Santander with veteran experience, but would be more willing for an OF trade in this market if a better MOO hitter was available. Maybe the internal growth remedies all the potential offensive loss of a Hays or Santander trade too.

Only if it pays him more than what the Yankees are paying him.

Or how would the O's have signed him this year?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Only if it pays him more than what the Yankees are paying him.

Or how would the O's have signed him this year?

Hick’s has a guaranteed two more years, which far exceeds a 14m pillow contract. He can sign anywhere for league minimum and still get paid the $20+~ the next two years each from the Yankees. 

Edited by Since1984

9 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

Hick’s has a guaranteed two more years, which far exceeds a 14m pillow contract. He can sign anywhere for league minimum and still get paid the $20+~ the next two years each from the Yankees. 

Right so why did you say:

Any new contract signed will cancel his two years remaining with the Yankees, I believe.

51 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

There's a difference between Jordan Hicks and Aaron Hicks.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

Jordan Hicks.  The reliever.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

The remainder of Hick's Yankee contract is: It will cost the Yankees about $19 million for him to play against them in their own division—$9 million each for 2024 and 2025, with a $1 million buyout of a $12.5 million club option for 2026.

Well at least we get to keep Aaron Hicks. Gotta love the SH bat and the ability to at least stand out in CF.

As much as I want to think that we could get Giolito and fix him… I just don’t see us being a top destination for rebuild value spots for SP. Even though we have the wall… we still play in a division that is loaded with offense and homer friendly stadiums. 

I’m guessing we’ll make a run for Sonny Gray, but won’t go further than 3 years. He led the league in FIP and HR/9.  If we miss on him, then Giolito becomes an option. 

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well at least we get to keep Aaron Hicks. Gotta love the SH bat and the ability to at least stand out in CF.

As much as I want to think that we could get Giolito and fix him… I just don’t see us being a top destination for rebuild value spots for SP. Even though we have the wall… we still play in a division that is loaded with offense and homer friendly stadiums. 

I’m guessing we’ll make a run for Sonny Gray, but won’t go further than 3 years. He led the league in FIP and HR/9.  If we miss on him, then Giolito becomes an option. 

For the last few seasons the Orioles doled out a 1 year modest annual pay contract to Lyles and Gibson. I’m thoroughly convinced that the Orioles have no intent to compete for players that are in the category being mentioned here. Are you guys really setting yourself up to be disappointed again. My guess is they will find a comparable to Lyles and Gibson that they can claim is an upgrade even if it’s slight. 

10 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Again, you keep bringing up the SH stuff as if it’s a big deal. 

Hicks has been in the league for a decade. 2017 and 2018 are the only full seasons where he hit well from both sides of the plate. Otherwise, every other year he has been bad from at least one side of the plate.

Of the guys listed I would prefer ERod over anyone especially if you could get him for 4 not 5 years.  Will be 31 next year has a decent strikeout rate, gives up less than 1 HR per 9 and is lefthanded and has at least pitched in the postseason although the results were not very good.  Was dominate early in the season before he got hurt.  If the Orioles see something from before the injury that they think can be repeated and sustained I would love to have him in the rotation.

Edited by The Goob