All the Orioles news that's fit to print

jcroemer

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Enough with Hayden Penn already, seriously, go to AAA and prove you are the 87 IP AAA you were when you were 21. Why would he make the rotation over the immense amount of others who are more proven and probably more upside?

This is what I'm talking about:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/P/Hayden-Penn.shtml

Penn can't go to AAA.

Penn can't go to AAA.

Sure he can, if nobody claims him on waivers. And if he's bad this spring, I don't know why another team would pick him up and keep him on their 25-man roster. I'm hoping he pitches well and makes the team, but I'm by no means sure he'll be claimed if the O's try to pass him through.

Sure he can, if nobody claims him on waivers. And if he's bad this spring, I don't know why another team would pick him up and keep him on their 25-man roster. I'm hoping he pitches well and makes the team, but I'm by no means sure he'll be claimed if the O's try to pass him through.

I'd be very surprised is he isn't claimed, regardless of his spring. He's only 24. This isn't Oscar Salazar or Scott Moore we are talking about.

I agree. It doesn't take 5 or 6 teams wanting him, it just takes 1.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/P/hayden-penn.shtml

He had 14 starts last year in Norfolk and was terrible, he was terrible in '07, I do not have any idea where this love of this guy is coming from, I'm not going to toss him in the dumpster, but if that is what has to happen for someone else to be on the 25 man roster then so be it.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/P/hayden-penn.shtml

He had 14 starts last year in Norfolk and was terrible, he was terrible in '07, I do not have any idea where this love of this guy is coming from, I'm not going to toss him in the dumpster, but if that is what has to happen for someone else to be on the 25 man roster then so be it.

Do your homework and read up on the guy and what all occurred over the last 3 years, will you please?

Staring at year-by-year stats is not cluing you in. Not even close.

Alright, here we go again...

Roch kicks off the morning of the 19th with a story about Chorye Spoone, as he continues his rehab:

"My arm tightened up and it's been sore for about two weeks now," he said. "I tried to pick up the ball (Monday) and there's still a little pinch there. We'll see if we can stretch it out. I think it's just tight in the back from the surgery. I was hoping to be pitching again by the end of April or early May, but as long as I come back and pitch sometime this year, that's a plus."

Peter Schmuck runs with the pending Roberts extension this morning in the Baltimore Sun. 4/40MM was confirmed by Roch last night.

SC has an article up on Camden Chat about Luke Scott's desire to play with his glove, too.

I want to thank those of you who have kept the thread alive the past few days. Personal tragedy struck my family and posting to the Hangout has proved difficult the past couple days, and, of course, family must come first.

I very much look forward to getting back in the routine of posting the latest Orioles news, as it always proves therapeutic. Again, thank you to those who kept the news coming. Talk to you all soon.

-John

Very sorry for what you are having to go through.

The Sun is reporting this morning that Brian Roberts signed a 4 year extension. Here is a courtesy link to Schmuck's blog, who also published quite a few entries yesterday.

Roch spent yesterday blogging about an wide variety of subjects - Jake Arrieta, Rich Hill, Dave Trembely, Scott and Huff, Chris Gomez... the list goes on. I think there were 7 blogs published yesterdays, which seems a bit absurd, but is what it is.

Jon Campbell writes a nice piece about Brian Roberts that was published in the Delco Daily Times.

SI.com ran a preview of spring training in the AL East. And Heyman ran a piece that mentioned the Pie trade kept Jim Edmonds from signing here.

Roch hit a variety of topics yesterday including Ryan Freel's taking grounders at second, B-Rob's extension, B-Rob and the workout, and, oh yeah, a little more on Roberts.

Roberts:

"I'm going to use it for the good of this organization and for the good of the community in Baltimore," he said. "That's something that's always been so important to me, to leave a lasting impact beyond the baseball field with my career, and I have a great opportunity to do that in Baltimore."
"I don't think any of us can predict next October or November or December," he said. "I think there are different reasons why different players aren't signed, for whatever they are. l was fairly confident in my abilities to go out and play and give myself that opportunity. For me, I wanted to be here. This is what I wanted to do, but I wanted to do it on terms that worked for both sides. My goal all along was to play with one team my entire career.

"To be able to call one place home for 10 or 12 or 15 years of your professional career is so rare. That's what really excited me."

"The city of Baltimore has really become my second home," Roberts said. "North Carolina, where I grew up, will always be my first, I guess, but I've come to love the city, the fans. A lot of people had asked me, certainly with free agency looming, about the lure of the opportunity to go out and look at every team in major league baseball and see where you wanted to play. This was the only place I wanted to be the rest of my career.

"I think it's something that's very important. My family has taught me from Day 1, my parents, my dad certainly, the value of loyalty. The Orioles have shown that to me. I wanted to show it back.

"I think this organization, with Mr. MacPhail's leadership, is headed in the right direction. For the next four or five years, we certainly hope to have the chance to be playing meaningful games in September and October. I think with the group we have coming up and the group we already have locked up with Nick (Markakis) and Adam Jones and some pitchers, that we really have that opportunity."

Scmuck's blog was pretty similar - a lot of Roberts, however, here's a note about Koji Uehara encountering his first American drug test and his reaction.

Archived