All the Orioles news that's fit to print

jcroemer

Spencer Fordin of MLB.com reports that the Orioles have decided Radhammes Liz's place is in the bullpen. This move agrees with several projections of Liz's career, including the scouting report in the 2008 BA Prospect Handbook, which suggested Liz's stuff would play better out of the 'pen. Schmuck's take included this quote from the pitcher:

"I feel pretty comfortable with that,'' Liz said. "I think I've got a little better chance to make the team out of the bullpen. I think I can do both things.

"I think this is going to give me more of a chance to get comfortable and get used to the major leagues. Maybe in the future, I can start again."

KFFL reports that Brian Bass has a new chaneup grip that should improve his command of the pitch.

The song, "How 'Bout Dem O's" will be played 10 minutes before most home games this season.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Orioles complex is closed today but we have some updates:

First, appealing news out of Florida that Felix Pie and Terry Crowley have formed a close bond this March, reports The Baltimore Sun.

Crowley gave Pie the phone numbers of David Ortiz, Miguel Tejada and Daniel Cabrera, and suggested that the 24-year-old outfielder call his fellow Dominican countrymen, who all know the Orioles' longtime hitting coach well.

"It wasn't so much, 'Ask about Crow as a hitting coach.' It was, 'Ask about Crow as a person. Is he going to stand by you during tough times or is he going to turn his back on you and walk away?'. " Crowley said. "I encouraged him to call those people that know me from different walks of life. I know he's talked to them and now he knows a little bit about Terry Crowley the person."

That's good management, kids.

The latest on Melvin Mora is fairly vague, which I see as a good sign that it's a minor hamstring tweak. He is out of the next game, however.

Roch's injured pitchers updates: Rich Hill and Jim Johnson.

See if you can figure out this A-Roid photo.

After walking off the St. Patty's hangover (yeah it's the 19th, shut it) I tuned into the "live box score" mlb.com provides for the game against the Gnats today to catch Wilfredo Perez blow it.

Roch rounds up some rotation guesses but Guthrie is headed home.

"I texted him last night," said Kranitz, who attended the game in Miami. "I just let him know that I thought it was time for him to come back and get in a regular turn here. I know he went to L.A. I'll call him on my way back from Viera, but I have tentatively penciled him in to pitch on the 22nd. I don't think they really need any more starters, so in my mind, there's no need for him to be there. He needs to be here and he needs to pitch, and that would work out perfectly for scheduling purposes and for him, too."

Here's a roundup of recent Orioles happenings:

Chris Gomez is on the bubble. Schmuck and Zrebiec team up for a feature on the slumping veteran who is batting .115 in Grapefruit League action.

"It seems like the older I get, the longer it takes to get ready," said Gomez, 37. "It just starts getting embarrassing after a while not getting any hits. Once the season starts, it feels totally different and everything works out. But I don't have the luxury of banking on, 'OK, the season is going to be here.' Hopefully, something will get going."

Also, the Orioles made six roster cuts: Nolan Reimold, Brandon Snyder, Guillermo Quiroz (released), Scott Chiasson (released), Blake Davis, Wilfrido Perez.

Dan Connelly tackles the issue of Hayden Penn. It seems Penn's bid for the rotation is on its last legs.

Dave Trembley will be doing a weekly video segment for MASNonline this season.

The Bleacher Report offers an alternative in-depth look at Baseball America's Top 10 Orioles Prospects.

BetFirm offers their 2009 Orioles predictions.

And, condolences to George Kell's family. Kell is an ex-Orioles and Hall of Famer that you may better know as Brooks Robinson's predecessor. He passed away at the age of 86. Ernie Harwell remembers George Kell.

Jeff Zrebiec of The Sun reports that David Pauley is no longer in the running for a starting spot. Schmuck reports on Koji Uehara's return from minor injury.

Roch is putting the Jeremy Guthrie controversy to bed:

"I just asked him how his experience was. I was glad to have him back," Trembley said. "I think we can all put the WBC and him behind us. I know Jeremy probably as well or better than anyone here and I'm not blowing my own horn here, but I know him. The guy wants to compete. He was anxious to get back. He's going to pitch again on Friday, and five days after that he's going to pitch. I don't think there's been any hard feelings on anybody's part. I think the guy did what he felt he had to do and all that was said on our end was we wanted him back and needed him back. I think there was a lot of that sentiment echoed throughout Major League Baseball by a whole lot of other people whose players were in the WBC."

Here is the Chicago Tribune's account of Harold Baines' election to the Orioles Hall of Fame.

Catcher Matt Wieters was told Thursday that he is heading to Norfolk.

"I think he had a good camp," MacPhail said. "He certainly had a good spring offensively. He's certainly one of the best disciplined young hitters that I've ever seen in my career. I think there is probably more work to do on the defensive side of the equation. Hopefully, he'll continue the type of year he had last year and it won't be long before we see him in Baltimore. Those things become self-evident over time."

David Ginsburg at USA Today reports on the Orioles' rotation woes. It includes plenty of quotes by MacPhail, Trembley, and Guthrie.

A PennLive blog remembers the Orioles vs. Cuba and includes a great picture of Peter Angelos with Fidel Castro.

Steve Silva reports on the latest round of Teixeira comments about how it was the Yankees all along. Say what you want Mark, Baltimore will comment April 6.

Today the Baltimore Orioles ended their relationship with former prospect Hayden Penn by trading him to the Florida Marlins for IF Robert Andino. This is a significant move for the Orioles for a couple of reasons:

As Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reports:

In exchange for Penn, who is out of options and opportunity, the Orioles acquired slick-fielding infielder Robert Andino, who will make the team as a backup shortstop. Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail confirmed that means the team will go with 13 position players and only 12 pitchers.

It also meant that veteran infielder Chris Gomez was given his outright release as it became clear that he wasn't going to make the Opening Day roster and he had no interest in playing at Triple-A.

"I had been leaning toward 13, but if I had the opportunity to get a 24-year-old bona fide shortstop that can play defense, it was really something I can't pass up," MacPhail said. "As the season progresses, you don't know what twists and turns are going to take place. But we clearly are going to start with 12 pitchers and 13 position players as a consequence of this trade."

Roch reports that Penn is getting used to the idea of the trade:

Yes, the guy is known for his glove.

Andino is a career .258 hitter in 2,763 minor league at-bats, with a .311 on-base percentage and .368 slugging percentage. He's been in Triple-A the last three years. He hit .287 last season, with 14 doubles, three triples, six homers and 26 RBIs.

We know the Orioles are keeping 12 pitchers. We don't know for sure that Brian Bass is on the outside, but if the Orioles keep Danys Baez in the bullpen and Adam Eaton in the organization, Bass figures to be gone. And he's out of options.

Archived