RZNJ

Your Choice For FA Pitcher  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Your Choice For FA Pitcher

• Sonny Gray 4/90
    • Eduardo Rodriguez 4/82
    • Marcus Stroman 2/44

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/30/23 at 21:33

Erod is my choice both for the contract length and the fact that he's a lefty.

That said, I think some team will offer him a fifth year and Gray will get the fourth year that you included in the poll.  I would be most interested in Gray at two or three years, but not at all at four.

44 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

My apologies.  I have changed the Gray contract according to MLBTR.  Not sure if they updated or I just blew it.  If you’ve already voted for Gray at the 3/69 contract tell us if this changes your poll choice.

The 4th year switches my vote to Stroman.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Orange said:

You really think these kinds of contracts are possible for the O's? We don't have any history (especially recently) of doing anything like this. A trade is much more likely.

The O's signed Alex Cobb for 4/57 in March, 2018.  Obviously John Angelos' spending limits haven't been put to a real test yet, but the Orioles' finances are certainly improved from when Cobb was signed. 

I don't automatically rule out four-year deals in my mind, but I definitely believe three years or less is more likely.

3 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

Surprised to be in the minority picking Stroman here. All three pitchers are similar but for a FA pitcher in his thirties, I'm going with the shortest deal.

Does MLBTR have updated numbers since this article? https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/11/2023-24-top-50-free-agents-with-predictions.html
That link projects 4/90 for Sonny Gray.

It's fair to go with the shorter commitment for sure. I personally voted for Rodriguez because...

1. Gray would cost a draft pick.
2. Rodriguez is LH and doesn't cost a pick.
3. I'm worried Stroman has started to hit the wall.

That said, I fully expect the O's to go to the bargain bin for someone, I do not expect them to sign a top 7-10 FA pitcher because of the years or money, so I hope they acquire a top starter via trade.

I know it's not an option but I'd take Trevor Bauer (from that list I'd take stroman). Bauer started off rusty in NPB. He posted a 2.76 ERA through 130 2/3 innings while striking out 24.3% of opposing hitters. I doubt he wants a long term deal right now, and just wants a one or two year deal to show he still got it.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I would be happy if we signed any of these guys but at the end of the day, I don’t find them to be that much different and I don’t find any of them to be real difference makers in the playoffs.

So, give me the shorter commitment and not losing the pick is a bonus.

Then prepare to be disappointed.  The Orioles will not acquire a better pitcher than these three this offseason.

3 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I voted for Gray (prior to the change). I'm not giving out a 4 year contract to any of them so I guess I'd go with Stroman by default. He might be a smidge better than Gibson, but he's not really the type of upgrade that I'm hoping for. 

I’d call a pitcher with a career ERA+ of 116 more than a smidge better than Kyle Gibson.