Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/details-on-dylan-cease-trade-talks-between-white-sox-reds.html

The Reds were known to be one of the clubs interested in Cease, though 670 The Score’s Bruce Levine reported that the Sox had asked for a four-player trade package — pitching prospects Rhett Lowder and Chase Petty, as well as two position-player prospects.

Jason Williams of the Cincinnati Enquirer sheds some more light on Chicago’s demands, writing that the White Sox wanted Lowder, Edwin Arroyo, Connor Phillips, “and at least one more prospect.”  This could mean that the Sox wanted a five-player return, with Petty and an unknown position player comprising the other two names involved. MLB Pipeline ranks Lowder, Arroyo, and Phillips within the top 68 prospects in all of baseball, while Lowder (45th) and Phillips (86th) also ranked within Baseball America’s last top 100 ranking from September.

White Sox apparently still making crazy demands for Cease even after the regime change. Hard pass for me at that price.

23 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/details-on-dylan-cease-trade-talks-between-white-sox-reds.html

The Reds were known to be one of the clubs interested in Cease, though 670 The Score’s Bruce Levine reported that the Sox had asked for a four-player trade package — pitching prospects Rhett Lowder and Chase Petty, as well as two position-player prospects.

Jason Williams of the Cincinnati Enquirer sheds some more light on Chicago’s demands, writing that the White Sox wanted Lowder, Edwin Arroyo, Connor Phillips, “and at least one more prospect.”  This could mean that the Sox wanted a five-player return, with Petty and an unknown position player comprising the other two names involved. MLB Pipeline ranks Lowder, Arroyo, and Phillips within the top 68 prospects in all of baseball, while Lowder (45th) and Phillips (86th) also ranked within Baseball America’s last top 100 ranking from September.

White Sox apparently still making crazy demands for Cease even after the regime change. Hard pass for me at that price.

Elias has probably made an offer and is holding to it.

4 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

The crazy part is that it's likely that the same people who say "Why is Elias hoarding prospects" are the same ones who will scream "He gave up too much!"

I don't think that's all that likely.

I think it is more the folks that think everyone in the minors is a sure fire MLB starter that will squawk about the price.

That being said if the White Sox are being unreasonable in their request you look at other options.

47 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

A package for Cease from the Orioles that is commensurate with what the White Sox reportedly asked for from Cinncinati would be something like Cowser, Ortiz, Povich, and McDermott.

That seems like a pretty massive overpay for 2 years of Dylan Cease, but I guess I'm just a prospect hoarder :noidea:

There’s zero chance we’d do this.  

49 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

A package for Cease from the Orioles that is commensurate with what the White Sox reportedly asked for from Cinncinati would be something like Cowser, Ortiz, Povich, and McDermott.

That seems like a pretty massive overpay for 2 years of Dylan Cease, but I guess I'm just a prospect hoarder :noidea:

It's hard to come up with an equivalency because it's so pitcher heavy.

I will continue to point out: They do not get a positional prospect better than Joey Ortiz in that package.