Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well I’m not sure it says we aren’t including those guys but it does say Cowser and Kjerstad aren’t on the board imo.

It is odd to think about it though. The Os went after Cease in July. They are going after him now.  For several months, he has been a target for them.  Clearly they value him and they like him.  Clearly they believe he is someone that upgrades our staff and you figure they believe they can “fix him” or else they wouldn’t be going after him. So, why are they not paying up to get him?

Either there interest in him has been completely overblown or they have other things in the works. 

Elias can’t be naive enough to think he has all the in house options he needs nor can he be naive enough to think this rotation sets up well for the playoffs.

Maybe he has a standing offer and has told Getz to let him know if/when he is ready to accept.

48 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So the Yankees would be trading guys that are borderline top 100 prospects and lottery tickets?  lol.  First of all, us not beating that would be incredibly annoying although we would need to see what else we do before providing final judgment.

Secondly, that is way off what WS fans think he is worth, which is of course not surprising.

I still maintain the Yanks don’t trade Dominguez but even if they do, his prospect luster has faded and he is overrated overall. 

Borderline? 2 of the names are 73-75 per Mlb and Hampton is #95. But Ortiz and Norby are probably close value wise with those 2. I'm not sure who the 3rd player would need to be. But, Getz can boast that he got 3 top 100 if the Yankees did that deal. We cant give him that without blowing the deal out of the water. Which obviously isnt happening.

Edited by Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Borderline? 2 of the names are 73-75 per Mlb and Hampton is #95. But Ortiz and Norby are probably close value wise. I'm not sure who the 3rd player would need to be. But, Getz can boast that he got 3 top 100 if the Yankees did that deal.

Once you get into the 70s on prospect lists, you are borderline.  Some could have you higher and others will have you completely off the board.

There isn’t much difference between prospect 65 and prospect 115. People get all lost in the numbers but they are meaningless.

Their one main insider just says the Yankees are getting aggressive. We don’t know what that means. He doesn’t elaborate. And we don’t know if that simply means they have gone from not really going after him to really stepping up their efforts or what.

In other words, getting aggressive could mean a lot of different things.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Their one main insider just says the Yankees are getting aggressive. We don’t know what that means. He doesn’t elaborate. And we don’t know if that simply means they have gone from not really going after him to really stepping up their efforts or what.

In other words, getting aggressive could mean a lot of different things.

They are texting like 90 times an hour, it's, you know, really annoying and kinda creepy.

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Once you get into the 70s on prospect lists, you are borderline.  Some could have you higher and others will have you completely off the board.

There isn’t much difference between prospect 65 and prospect 115. People get all lost in the numbers but they are meaningless.

I hear you ... as I mentioned I think Ortiz and Norby cover most of the mentioned deal.

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't get why the luster has worn off Jasson Dominguez as a prospect if the luster has worn off for a guy like Cowser.

Well ..He's 5'9" and has lost some speed as he's added bulk. He needed TJ surgery and won't stick in CF due to his "defensive inconsistencies"

1 hour ago, MCO'sFan said:

I was disappointed that he experienced the elbow pain and was not able to pitch in the ALDS but by all reports, it was minor and he would have been on the ALCS roster had they made it. He will have a full and normal offseason to prepare. I am going with the fact that a high percentage of guys return to form after TJ. I think there it is a good bet that he performs well. It is not 100% of course but I don't think it is "silly" to count on him which is the comment I was responding to. 

I agree.  I just think when injuries occur and someone gets shut down, the orgs MO is giving no info.   I hadn’t heard anything about his health so figured until reports were out and he’s throwing in ST it would be hard to count on him for too much, especially eating the “Gibson innings”.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't get why the luster has worn off Jasson Dominguez as a prospect if the luster has worn off for a guy like Cowser.

He definitely has age on his side and you just never never know how he will develop. He shows an ability to a walk, which is good for his development.

That said, he has struck out 25% of his MiL plate appearances to go along with a mediocre BA.  Cowser has a similar K rate but he hits for a BA that is 30+ points higher. He hasn’t shown a lot of power either.

Maybe the power will come but he’s a small dude and now he has the bad injury although that is obviously less of a deal for him than a pitcher.

Edited by Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He definitely has age on his side and you just never never know how he will develop. He shows an ability to a walk, which is good for his development.

That said, he has struck out 25% of his MiL plate appearances to go along with a mediocre BA.  Cowser has a similar K rate but he hits for a BA that is 30+ points higher. He hasn’t shown a lot of power either.

Maybe the power will come but he’s a small dude and now he has the bad injury although that is obviously less of a deal for him than a pitcher.

He's short, he isn't small.

wddrvnwxbb7fdhvcrrxg.jpg

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Well ..He's 5'9" and has lost some speed as he's added bulk. He needed TJ surgery and won't stick in CF due to his "defensive inconsistencies"

Fair.  But I don't really hold TJ surgery against anyone anymore.  It's weird for position players to have to have it, I agree there.  The only thing is that it takes awhile to come back from it, but it seems like most players do.  

I don't care that he's 5'9.  We love Cedric Mullins here, he's not that tall either.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

That said, he has struck out 25% of his MiL plate appearances to go along with a mediocre BA. He hasn’t shown a lot of power.

It's a small sample size but he hit 4 homers in 31 major league plate appearances last year after being called up.

I will agree that he's a bit overhyped, that's got a lot to do with being a Yankee prospect.  I will also agree that the power hasn't been there in the minors but that's okay, I still think he can get to it as he gets older.  I think if he were in our system he'd be behind Holliday, Mayo, Basallo and probably somewhere between Kjerstad and Norby.  

The age thing is a big plus for him though.

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't get offended.

I just think it's a very poor take to think that additional payroll is in any way going to materially impact the sale of the team.

It's like you want to buy a super rare car, one of 30 in existence, sure to appreciate in value.

Only one of them is for sale at a time and years go by before one is put on the market.

Are you not going to buy your dream car because the seat needs to be reupholstered?

I get that.

But when a shop down I95 also has that same car, which is sure to appreciate even more, and the seat doesn’t need to be reupholstered, which one is more appealing?