Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hilliard is the Hicks replacement.  We just basically extended O'Hearn.  Trading Kjerstad, Norby, and a 3rd piece, for Cease isn't a panic move.  It's a smart move.  

We have all of our "guys" up on this team together now.  Kjerstad, and Norby, have no clear path to everyday bats.  Elias has acquired depth to help replace Kjerstad and Norby recently.  O'Hearn option negotied, waiver trades for Infielders Nevin, Maton, and Soto.  It hurts to see those guys go, but it will hurt less than losing this season.  

It's not a panic move.  Just resource allocation.  Grow the bats, buy the arms.  This has always been the plan.  Time to buy again.  

Hilliard could replace McKenna. You think we are going with McKenna and Hilliard? I would be pretty shocked if we don't open with at least one of Kjerstad and Cowser.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Hilliard could replace McKenna. You think we are going with McKenna and Hilliard? I would be pretty shocked if we don't open with at least one of Kjerstad and Cowser.

Last year the pre-September bench was McCann, Mateo, Frazier, and Hicks.  So it's looking like McCann, Mateo, Maton/Urias, and Hilliard.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Last year the pre-September bench was McCann, Mateo, Frazier, and Hicks.  So it's looking like McCann, Mateo, Maton/Urias, and Hilliard.  

Urias is a starter on opening day, unless Holliday makes it. They are also trying Mateo in CF.

There are lots of ways Kjerstad can make it, with or without Hilliard. He could bump Hays to the bench which makes McKenna/Hilliard unnecessary, especially if Mateo can play OF. 

I think there are 11 near locks right now: Adley, McCann, Mountcastle, O'Hearn, Westburg, Gunnar, Urias, Mullins, Hays, Santander, Mateo. Then we get two out of Maton, Hilliard, McKenna, Kjerstad, and Cowser. I don't think we should have all four bench spots be nothing bats.

Holliday is a wild card. If we bring him north that would reduce the need for a lefty bat. Is that what you are thinking?

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Where have you come up with Kjerstad being unlikely to break camp with the team recently?

1B - Mountcastle

2B - Westburg

3B - Urias

SS - Gunnar

LF - Hays

RF - Santa

CF - Mullins

C - Adley

DH - O'Hearn

Bench - McCann, Mateo, Hilliard, Maton

Where does Kjerstad or Cowser fit in?  Holliday affects only Urias and Maton.  

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

1B - Mountcastle

2B - Westburg

3B - Urias

SS - Gunnar

LF - Hays

RF - Santa

CF - Mullins

C - Adley

DH - O'Hearn

Bench - McCann, Mateo, Hilliard, Maton

Where does Kjerstad or Cowser fit in?  Holliday affects only Urias and Maton.  

Replace Hilliard with Kjerstad. Plenty of ABs to rotate between RF at home, LF on the road, and DH. Holliday replaces Maton, Urias to bench. Mateo is your backup CF unless there's a proper Mullins injury. 

Edited by interloper

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Kjerstad, Norby, and the #32 pick for Cease.  

I can't find if the #32 pick can be traded, one way or the other.  I'm assuming that since its awarded, like a comp pick, that it should be able to be dealt.  

It cannot.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Frobby said:

They can, but they shouldn’t.  

Well yea. I guess they could rely on Urias but I don’t think they do that. 

The guy on the WS board who is a true insider said the Os and WS have talked in recent days and Bruce Levine is saying he still thinks Cease is moved.

I think the offer would be  headlined by Cowser or Kjerstad and then there are several other guys that could fill out the package that I think the WS would do vs go into the season with Cease.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well yea. I guess they could rely on Urias but I don’t think they do that. 

The guy on the WS board who is a true insider said the Os and WS have talked in recent days and Bruce Levine is saying he still thinks Cease is moved.

I think the offer would be  headlined by Cowser or Kjerstad and then there are several other guys that could fill out the package that I think the WS would do vs go into the season with Cease.

I think the WS would rather go into the season with Dylan Cease than not get what they want for him. 

3 minutes ago, SoxFan3344 said:

I think the WS would rather go into the season with Dylan Cease than not get what they want for him. 

Maybe but we don’t truly know what they are willing to accept. There is what they are publicly saying they want and what they will truly take. 

At some point, holding out for a better second prospect when you get 2-3 solid guys instead is just foolish and a risk not worth taking. 

But I do think Kjerstad or Cowser has to be in the deal.

Edited by Sports Guy

I wonder if the O'Hearn extension was a message that Kjerstad is likely to be moved.  I'm hoping Kjerstad is good enough defensively to be a regular COF, but a lot of the more knowledgeable posters here have said he's not good enough to be an OF regular   If Kjerstad is mostly a DH going forward, it makes more sense to trade him, imo.

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Maybe but we don’t truly know what they are willing to accept. There is what they are publicly saying they want and what they will truly take. 

At some point, holding out for a better second prospect when you get 2-3 solid guys instead is just foolish and a risk not worth taking. 

But I do think Kjerstad or Cowser has to be in the deal.

I’m hoping that before Elias had only offered the Burnes package for Cease, and now he’s willing to offer Cowser or Kjerstad. A package of Cowser/Kjerstad, Norby, and Povich, hopefully will be able to get this done. Holliday, Mayo, Basallo, Westburg, and EBJ, are too important to trade.

Also, just because the news became public doesn’t mean that Elias is any more desperate than he’s been all offseason. Burnes essentially replaces Bradish and gets us back to where the offseason started. We’re just minus Hall for depth. 

Edited by sportsfan8703