Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

3 hours ago, PepeSylvia said:

If I've learned one thing about White Sox fans through this, it's that they believe 2022 Dylan Cease is what they are trading and any suggestion otherwise is stupid. They see him as a Cy Young caliber pitcher and nothing less, like we're trading for 2 cheap years of prime Kershaw or something.

This is such a great post.  Welcome.

It’s 100% exactly right and it’s also why Cease is still a WS. The WS have every right to ask for whatever they want but if they  are actually motivated to trade him, they have zippy chance at getting what those fans think they are getting.  If they could get it, the deal would be done.

Have said it from the beginning and I know several of other posters have as well (I know @Pickles is a prominent one) but I think WS fans are going to be disappointed at the return.

Not that I think he’s going to get traded for very little but I think they are expecting multiple top 35ish guys and then some.  I have seen some wild and very stupid things by WS fans on social media.

They are delusional about 1 year guys.  When Robert, who you all know I want to go after, has 1 year (2023) of having any kind of health, durability and consistency. No matter how strong his contract is and no matter how good he is, if he’s not available, it doesn’t matter and his lack of availability absolutely has to affect his value and his value isn’t 2 top 20 prospects and multiple other top 100 or borderline top 100 guys.  Thats just stupidity at its finest.

Now, if he has another monster year and shows he can stay healthy, that’s a different story.  He will be worth a ton and that’s fine but not today, not now.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have put in a request to join in on that site and it’s been in for over a week. I’m not sure it’s really monitoredz

I put mine in this morning and have heard nothing.  Well, their loss if they can’t receive our wisdom.  😉

45 minutes ago, Number5 said:

LOL. 

Question:  If Cease is all that, why trade him?  😀

31 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Good.  They're reading over here.

Hey guys.  Question for you:

If Cease is so good, why do the White Sox suck so bad?

And two: F Off and have fun with your 19 year old A ball pitchers.  That should work out great for you.

We won’t be winning the message board battle of wits this way. 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Ripken said:

It just keeps getting better over there...

What would Cease and Robert be worth together for Baltimore ? Let's say they keep Holliday but all their other prospects are available do you think a 2 for 7 or 8 very good prospects wouldn't be enough to excite the fan base or jump start this team for at least a run at the Central by 2026 ? Cowser, Kjerstad, Mayo. Ortiz, Beavers, Hall, Basallo, Norby, Westburg, Fabian, Bradfield, Jr., Povich, McDermott, Horvath. That's 14 guys. Take 7 of them and a couple lottery tickets and let's get this party started!

Is that Bizarro Bill Bavasi?

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Ripken said:

It just keeps getting better over there...

What would Cease and Robert be worth together for Baltimore ? Let's say they keep Holliday but all their other prospects are available do you think a 2 for 7 or 8 very good prospects wouldn't be enough to excite the fan base or jump start this team for at least a run at the Central by 2026 ? Cowser, Kjerstad, Mayo. Ortiz, Beavers, Hall, Basallo, Norby, Westburg, Fabian, Bradfield, Jr., Povich, McDermott, Horvath. That's 14 guys. Take 7 of them and a couple lottery tickets and let's get this party started!

In all seriousness, the White Sox should be thinking about something like this. They could actually get 7 of our guys for those two, but it's probably not including quite the headliners they want, and frankly not 7 of the guys listed above.

They don't have to necessarily do this in in one trade or with a single team either, but they have two guys that you could build a farm system with if you trade them. 

The problem is they'd have to agree that they're rebuilding, otherwise this doesn't make sense. 

It's funny they're all saying stuff like "they think he's the 2023 version of Cease" blah blah blah

No, because nobody would trade even Ortiz for 2023 Cease, much less Cowser. Trading Cowser plus other prospects is with the expectation of Cease being more like the 2021 version.

18 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

In all seriousness, the White Sox should be thinking about something like this. They could actually get 7 of our guys for those two, but it's probably not including quite the headliners they want, and frankly not 7 of the guys listed above.

They don't have to necessarily do this in in one trade or with a single team either, but they have two guys that you could build a farm system with if you trade them. 

The problem is they'd have to agree that they're rebuilding, otherwise this doesn't make sense. 

The only reasons for them to not trade Robert is if the offer really suck or they feel he needs another healthy year under his belt.

That org isn’t winning anything for the next 4 years. It’s arguably the worst org in the sport, not much different than what the Os were when Elias took over.

Keeping Robert is like having the shiniest turd.

1 minute ago, Sanity Check said:

Here is what I believe to be true......If/When a deal is done to bring Cease to Baltimore, we will think we overpaid (got screwed), and WS fans will think they didn't get enough (also got screwed).  Just watch....

Yeah and Getz will get lampooned by the Chicago media if he gets fair market value for Cease instead of a complete swindling, so my expectation is that he's back with Chicago next year.

I actually find the discussion on SoxTalk to be pretty civil and intelligent.  Are they a bit biased towards their guys?   Sure, just like we are biased towards ours.  Anyone who thinks we could or should get Cease with a package where Ortiz is the top prospect going back is kidding themselves.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I actually find the discussion on SoxTalk to be pretty civil and intelligent.  Are they a bit biased towards their guys?   Sure, just like we are biased towards ours.  Anyone who thinks we could or should get Cease with a package where Ortiz is the top prospect going back is kidding themselves.  

No doubt..any site is going to have “fan posts” that are just irrational and dumb…but those should be ignored when it comes to discussing things intelligently.

Cowser and Ortiz is a fair deal for both sides but I also wouldn’t blame Elias if he didn’t like to trade 6-7 years of Cowser for 2 years of Cease.

I still wonder if a quantity over top quality trade is something Getz would want?