BRob News to Come on Thursday?

Aglets

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who Cares? Not being a jerk. But really though. The guy wants to be here and play for the Orioles for the next four years. To me thats exciting and refreshing. Who do we have behind Robert's to replace him? No one. He is deserving of a good deal and he is getting one. Cant we all just be glad that a player who has been in this organization from day one and has experienced the losing, wants to stay and be here? Its a great day to be an O's fan.

I'm glad that we inked him, but I don't think it was a good deal. You look at Hudson, who is just trying to GET a deal (probably about $5M per).

Now, this is a long way off, but LJ Hoes is behind Roberts. I'm sick and tired of people saying we have absolutely no middle infield depth (This isn't directed at you, more of a general comment.) Now granted, he may never pan out, but he is a 2B prospect.

I was for signing Roberts to an extension. I don't feel like the O's needed to give him $10M per season; just look at the other 2B/SS free agents around, just trying to get a gig. I'm just afraid that in 4 years, this deal could turn out bad, similar to what we have seen with the Gibbons and Mora contracts.

I was for signing Roberts to an extension. I don't feel like the O's needed to give him $10M per season; just look at the other 2B/SS free agents around, just trying to get a gig. I'm just afraid that in 4 years, this deal could turn out bad, similar to what we have seen with the Gibbons and Mora contracts.

People keep bringing up Mora and Gibbons, but I don't see the comparison. Gibbons wasn't good - he was basically Aubrey Huff without the 2008 season, and possibly even worse glove. Mora was a pretty good player, but was much older at the time of the signing (and the deal hasn't worked out badly anyway).

I think Oriole fans aren't used to the fact that you have to pay going rates to keep good players in their prime on your team because we just haven't had that many good players in their prime to keep. We're used to paying half the going rate for two-bit players, or formerly good players looking for one last contract. The closest comp to Roberts in recent Oriole history is Tejada in '04.

People keep bringing up Mora and Gibbons, but I don't see the comparison. Gibbons wasn't good - he was basically Aubrey Huff without the 2008 season, and possibly even worse glove. Mora was a pretty good player, but was much older at the time of the signing (and the deal hasn't worked out badly anyway).

I think Oriole fans aren't used to the fact that you have to pay going rates to keep good players in their prime on your team because we just haven't had that many good players in their prime to keep. We're used to paying half the going rate for two-bit players, or formerly good players looking for one last contract. The closest comp to Roberts in recent Oriole history is Tejada in '04.

When those 2 were signed, here were some things said about getting it done:

1) Pay the man.

2) Good in community.

3) Well liked by fans.

4) Wants to be an Oriole...We should embrace those types of players because so many don't want to be here.

That's your comparison and it is why people mention those 2 players.

True Mora was older and has played decent, but I was referring to more on the lines of what fans and people on this board say about him.

How many times over the past 2 years have we seen a "We have to trade Melvin Mora" thread? People always say "we need to get rid of him". Looking back on it, was he really worth $8M and a no-trade clause? Sure, he was a decent player for a pretty mediocre team.

I understand that, as a perennial losing team, you must overpay for guys you want to bring in and guys that you want to keep. It's just business. If a place sucks, but they still want you around, they're going to have to overpay. It's finally coming time that in Baltimore, decent players (Roberts, later Wieters, etc.) will be looking for a new, large contract. You are right: We're just not used to it yet.

1) Pay the man.

2) Good in community.

3) Well liked by fans.

4) Wants to be an Oriole...We should embrace those types of players because so many don't want to be here.

You are right. One thing I want to add about those deals, though. They both occurred after a 2005 season in which a star player was found to have tested positive for steroids, and implicated another star player, and team morale was at its absolute lowest point when that season ended. I think the O's really thought it was imperative to reward two players who had been stand-up guys during that whole process. Gibbons at the time was the player rep and had been the face of the team during media inquiries the last 6 weeks of the season. He also had a pretty good year, playing well down the stretch while most of the team was dogging it. Mora also had a very good year, and was the one who talked Tejada off the ledge in the offseason. I think the O's felt they needed to show the rest of the team that they were rewarding the loyalty of these players had shown in some difficult circumstances. I don't think anyone would have anticipated, at the time, that Gibbons was never going to play well again, and would get hurt. At the time, I think it was reasonable to expect him to put up an OPS between .770-.830 over the next few years. It didn't turn out that way.

You are right. One thing I want to add about those deals, though. They both occurred after a 2005 season in which a star player was found to have tested positive for steroids, and implicated another star player, and team morale was at its absolute lowest point when that season ended. I think the O's really thought it was imperative to reward two players who had been stand-up guys during that whole process. Gibbons at the time was the player rep and had been the face of the team during media inquiries the last 6 weeks of the season. He also had a pretty good year, playing well down the stretch while most of the team was dogging it. Mora also had a very good year, and was the one who talked Tejada off the ledge in the offseason. I think the O's felt they needed to show the rest of the team that they were rewarding the loyalty of these players had shown in some difficult circumstances. I don't think anyone would have anticipated, at the time, that Gibbons was never going to play well again, and would get hurt. At the time, I think it was reasonable to expect him to put up an OPS between .770-.830 over the next few years. It didn't turn out that way.

And honestly, what do you think those deals did for the faith of the fan base?

Comparing Roberts to Gibby or Mora is ridiculous. If you don't want to end up paying your home grown talent, then we'd be the AL East version of the Pirates. (this is where some smartass will tell me we've lost 11 straight seasons, like I don't know that). But if we ever want to get out of this rut, we have to sign our own. Part of the reason we are as bad as we are right now is because we let Mussina walk. We traded away young studs like Maine, Finley, Schilling. At some point you gotta sign the guys in the system, even if it means overpaying slightly. Like I have said before, if 10 million dollars in 2013 makes or breas this team, then we are NOT where we wanted to be anyways!

I think most fans are still very happy with Mora. Obviously Gibbons turned into a disaster. As I said, I don't think it was obvious at the time that the Gibbons deal would turn out that badly. 4/$21 mm for a guy who had always had a .780+ OPS except one year when he was hurt was maybe a mild mistake, but not a gross overpayment at the time.

I think Drungo hit on the key point -- the mistake there was locking up a player who, even if he hadn't failed, was basically only average to begin with. If you are going to tie yourself up, do it with players who are well above average.

Just because he put them in context doesn't he's mean he's saying they turned out right. Mora turned out OK, and Gibbons was a bust. Everybody knows that.

And, just because you can over-emphasis the parallels, that doesn't mean that AM is doing the same thing, or that he's basing his decisions on the context of back-then.

The situation is different now in several ways, as you well know. Over-emphasizing the superficial parallels beyond all reason doesn't turn "now" into "then", and it doesn't turn this GM into the tag-team we had then.

1) Pay the man.

2) Good in community.

3) Well liked by fans.

Exactly right, I'm not trying to say they are similar players, and said as much in my post. But people are letting these same factors go into their opinions on this Roberts deal. They are saying "who cares about 2013, he wants to be here now!"

Who Cares? Not being a jerk. But really though. The guy wants to be here and play for the Orioles for the next four years. To me thats exciting and refreshing. Who do we have behind Robert's to replace him? No one. He is deserving of a good deal and he is getting one. Cant we all just be glad that a player who has been in this organization from day one and has experienced the losing, wants to stay and be here? Its a great day to be an O's fan.

Totally agree with this. There's something to be said for Brian being that he had to put up with a losing team for his entire career and he still wants to be here. We have no one to replace him with for years.

I have no idea why there would be detractors to this. It's not like the money we're going to pay him is going to prevent us from signing FA in future years. No one wants to play here!

Keep whatever talent you have. And hope this pitching comes through.

It just sets a great precedent for your core guys in my book.

I'm with you Peace. The guy is a good ballplayer that will play well the entire length of the deal. He's a good clubhouse guy and he is good in the community. Listening to regular posters on this board complain is like listening to a nagging wife. No matter what the team does, there are certain posters that will find something negative to say. You would think that it is their money we are spending. I like the deal and think BRob will play a important role on a competing team. I wish people that continue to "rant" about this over and over in this thread do it in the "Rant" section. Which is where I may go to rant about all the ranters. :)

Archived