BRob News to Come on Thursday?

Aglets

I think most fans are still very happy with Mora. Obviously Gibbons turned into a disaster. As I said, I don't think it was obvious at the time that the Gibbons deal would turn out that badly. 4/$21 mm for a guy who had always had a .780+ OPS except one year when he was hurt was maybe a mild mistake, but not a gross overpayment at the time.

I think Drungo hit on the key point -- the mistake there was locking up a player who, even if he hadn't failed, was basically only average to begin with. If you are going to tie yourself up, do it with players who are well above average.

But would there be any less fans today if we hadn't signed Mora and/or Gibbons?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The guy is a good ballplayer that will play well the entire length of the deal.
He certainly may, but not many middle infielders age all that well. Its not being overly pessimistic to suggest that by year 4 or 5 of this deal he won't be worth the money. Its applying a common aging curve to Roberts.

Now, Roberts may be an All-Star through all 5 years of this deal, and I hope he is. But since when does looking at things objectively make someone a bad fan? So many posters are criticizing the people who are criticizing this deal. That's fine coming from some of the people like Drungo who think that Roberts will be worth this type of contract and back it up with some statistical projections. But so many of the people criticizing the ones who don't like the 5th year on this deal are just using "logic" like "he wants to be an Oriole" and "I know he's gonna stay good".

I don't like the 5th year, but I am exceptionally happy to have him through 2009-2011 and think he should still be decent in 2012. I just am very concerned that he'll be liability in 2013 and think that given this market, we should have been able to get him to sign without having to take on that huge of a risk, even if it meant giving him more money annually and/or a full NTC for the first couple seasons.

Exactly right, I'm not trying to say they are similar players, and said as much in my post. But people are letting these same factors go into their opinions on this Roberts deal. They are saying "who cares about 2013, he wants to be here now!"

Yep...Amazing people aren't seeing this.

Even though Mora has been fine for his contract, is their anyone here who wouldn't prefer to get rid of him and his contract?

What we have to hope is that since BRob is clearly better than these guys that he doesn't break down too much and the other thing we have to hope is that this steroid stuff that he did, is out of his system now and he is no longer doing anything.(i am pretty confident about this but I guess you never know anymore)

I'm with you Peace. The guy is a good ballplayer that will play well the entire length of the deal. He's a good clubhouse guy and he is good in the community. Listening to regular posters on this board complain is like listening to a nagging wife. No matter what the team does, there are certain posters that will find something negative to say. You would think that it is their money we are spending. I like the deal and think BRob will play a important role on a competing team. I wish people that continue to "rant" about this over and over in this thread do it in the "Rant" section. Which is where I may go to rant about all the ranters. :)

And what is this worth?

Was this worth giving him another year and another 10 million?

If so, why?

And what is this worth?

If so, why?

Totally agree SG. As a business, a baseball team shouldn't base its contracts on how nice a person is, or how he helps the community.

While these things are great, I'd rather see the team focus more on how the players' stats are and how well he plays the game. Let that speak for how much the contract is worth.

And what is this worth?

If so, why?

I think giving a extra year and 10 million dollars is worth it because of the type of player he is, not because of his clubhouse leadership or community involvment. Although I do think he is the right leader and someone that the young guys can look up to. I think it is important to have a guy on the team that respect the game and community like BRob does. Although not perfect, he does set a good example for the younger players.

Just to be clear on my prior post, I am not suggesting, those that don't like this deal are "bad fans", as Mackus seemed to imply. Those words were never spoken from me. I just think some people are really reaching and over analyzing the terms of this deal. I believe he will play well throughout the entire length of the deal. If he doesn't, I still believe it is worth the risk that we are taking.

Based on things that guys like Drungo and BMoron have posted, I must say that I am less worried about a 3 year extension than I was before...I still feel that 2012 will give us an average at best BRob...Now, what that will be worth, who knows.

It wouldn't shock me to see him be replacement level in 2013 though.

To me, the Orioles are still very far away from contention...If things break right and we make some key signings, I think we have an outside shot at contention in 2010, with 2011 being more realistic.

With that being said, we have basically signed BRob to make a run for as many as 3 and as little as 1 year...I just don't see that being a smart move.

And then, on top of that, we have given him the extra year that we shouldn't have given in this market.

Who Cares? Not being a jerk. But really though. The guy wants to be here and play for the Orioles for the next four years. To me thats exciting and refreshing. Who do we have behind Robert's to replace him? No one. He is deserving of a good deal and he is getting one. Cant we all just be glad that a player who has been in this organization from day one and has experienced the losing, wants to stay and be here? Its a great day to be an O's fan.

I agree. Frankly even if it proves to be a year too long this is a great sign for the Orioles. We took care of one of our own, and a good player chose to stay with the organization when almost everyone assumed he would bolt.

I don't have any problems with this extension. It solidifies a position that we have squat in the pipeline for as well as keeping the "face" of the Orioles. The main think I like about this (as well as the Markakis signing) is it sends a message to our young players that if you work hard, keep your nose clean and produce we'll try to keep you here.

It would be nice if the college SS drops to us but I still don't see AM dealing for Boras.

I think giving a extra year and 10 million dollars is worth it because of the type of player he is, not because of his clubhouse leadership or community involvment. Although I do think he is the right leader and someone that the young guys can look up to. I think it is important to have a guy on the team that respect the game and community like BRob does. Although not perfect, he does set a good example for the younger players.

Just to be clear on my prior post, I am not suggesting, those that don't like this deal are "bad fans", as Mackus seemed to imply. Those words were never spoken from me. I just think some people are really reaching and over analyzing the terms of this deal. I believe he will play well throughout the entire length of the deal. If he doesn't, I still believe it is worth the risk that we are taking.

It is very much worth it. And he deserves it. I dont think we would be sitting here today with this news if the O's hadnt upped their reported 3/30 deal. Roberts wanted 4 years and around 48 million. But both sides meet in the middle and got it done. I said all along that this was how it was going to be for Roberts to resign.

Archived