BRob News to Come on Thursday?

Aglets

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like others have said, I really want to see if the first year will start at 2009 or 2010.

Hopefully 2009.

Who Cares? Not being a jerk. But really though. The guy wants to be here and play for the Orioles for the next four years. To me thats exciting and refreshing. Who do we have behind Robert's to replace him? No one. He is deserving of a good deal and he is getting one. Cant we all just be glad that a player who has been in this organization from day one and has experienced the losing, wants to stay and be here? Its a great day to be an O's fan.

Like others have said, I really want to see if the first year will start at 2009 or 2010.

Hopefully 2009.

4/$40M extension per Roch.

http://masnsports.com/index_blog_roch.html

I think the 4th/5th year (however you look at it) will be pretty bad by the time we get there, but we'll be between indifferent and enamored with the deal up until that time.

Who Cares? Not being a jerk. But really though. The guy wants to be here and play for the Orioles for the next four years. To me thats exciting and refreshing. Who do we have behind Robert's to replace him? No one. He is deserving of a good deal and he is getting one. Cant we all just be glad that a player who has been in this organization from day one and has experienced the losing, wants to stay and be here? Its a great day to be an O's fan.
It was a pretty great day when Jay Gibbons signed his contract extension too, huh? Because just about everything you just said about Roberts applied to Gibbons before he signed his deal as well.

Gibbons was never as good as Roberts, but he signed a smaller deal. The same principles apply. This deal will likely be looked at as a bad one in the final year, and thats fine, you accept that with any long term deal. The real rub will be if Roberts declines so fast that we are stuck with him being vastly overpaid for more than just the 2013 season. If not, it'll be looked at as a good deal in retrospect, if so, the people against it will be viewed as correct.

I am very excited that Roberts will be on the team for the next 3 years at least though. Beyond that, lets hope he's one of the guys who stays good beyond the typical aging curve.

It was a pretty great day when Jay Gibbons signed his contract extension too, huh? Because just about everything you just said about Roberts applied to Gibbons before he signed his deal as well.

Gibbons was never as good as Roberts, but he signed a smaller deal. The same principles apply. This deal will likely be looked at as a bad one in the final year, and thats fine, you accept that with any long term deal. The real rub will be if Roberts declines so fast that we are stuck with him being vastly overpaid for more than just the 2013 season. If not, it'll be looked at as a good deal in retrospect, if so, the people against it will be viewed as correct.

I am very excited that Roberts will be on the team for the next 3 years at least though. Beyond that, lets hope he's one of the guys who stays good beyond the typical aging curve.

Apparently the team feels he will be worth the investment for 4 years. And don't expect him to as you say "decline so fast" Gibbons and Melvin are totally different situations in my mind. Robert's has more tangibles to his game than those guys have. Robert's hits, he steals, he fields, and he is a leader. I think he is just coming into his prime. Again like I said in the Pie thread..call me crazy, But I hope this contract starts in 2010.

I don't think Gibbons' contract has any relevance to this deal at all. Gibbons was a one trick pony. He was always bad in the field and had only had one good year with the bat. He had an injury history to boot. He should have never been paid the contract he was.

The big difference between Gibbons and Roberts is that Gibbons was a DH with a league-average bat, which is worth about $1.50 on the open market, while Brian Roberts is a top-40 in the world kind of player and will probably be worth more five years from now than Gibbons was at his peak.

Don't confuse possibly overpaying for very good talent with wildly overestimating the value of a decent player on a bad team.

I'm not surprised in the least. The basic reason is that I think that AM's approach is a lot more... um... what's the word?... how about "holistic"?

By this, I mean to convey that [stuff deleted]

Tangent:

Anybody know why it's "holistic" and not "wholistic"?

I looked it up, and it refers to "holism"... which itself is defined by using the word "whole".

English make no sense. It's beyond me how anybody who doesn't grow up with English can ever learn it.

Tangent:

Anybody know why it's "holistic" and not "wholistic"?

I looked it up, and it refers to "holism"... which itself is defined by using the word "whole".

English make no sense. It's beyond me how anybody who doesn't grow up with English can ever learn it.

Because the root is Greek, not English. Holos.

Archived