BRob News to Come on Thursday?

Aglets

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course we are....and it's not necessarily a bad thing. It seems that MacPhail isn't interested in trading for a 2B right now, and we really have no one in the pipeline who will be ready in the next 2-3 years.

A 4 year / 40 million would be a bad deal right now. You have to live and die by the market. Right now Roberts won't get anything near 4/40 if he was a free agent.

I had been against re-signing Roberts but I think MacPhail has gotten enough done that re-upping him makes sense now and I don't think four years should be a problem. Yes he'd be 36 by the end of that deal but Roberts doesn't strike me as the kind of guy with a high risk of rapid decline and good lead-off men are extremely hard to come by. There certainly isn't a heir apparent on the farm for 2nd base either so I'd pull the trigger on it. Three years and a vesting option should work if the club is just dead set against four guaranteed.

I had been against re-signing Roberts but I think MacPhail has gotten enough done that re-upping him makes sense now and I don't think four years should be a problem. Yes he'd be 36 by the end of that deal but Roberts doesn't strike me as the kind of guy with a high risk of rapid decline and good lead-off men are extremely hard to come by. There certainly isn't a heir apparent on the farm for 2nd base either so I'd pull the trigger on it. Three years and a vesting option should work if the club is just dead set against four guaranteed.

He'll only be 36 as an Oriole if we are playing in October :)

Archived