2023 Orioles #1 Prospect Jackson Holliday - SS/2B

Tony-OH

At least the O's didn't pick Green.  I know that there was a sizable faction of people who wanted to pick the best "athlete".   Baseball players aren't the best athletes in professional sports.  Position players are experts at hitting a round ball with a round bat.  Green had a .663 OPS in rookie ball and low A in 2023 w/ a 42% strikeout rate.  🤢  He seems like a long shot to ever make the majors. 

19 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

At least the O's didn't pick Green.  I know that there was a sizable faction of people who wanted to pick the best "athlete".   Baseball players aren't the best athletes in professional sports.  Position players are experts at hitting a round ball with a round bat.  Green had a .663 OPS in rookie ball and low A in 2023 w/ a 42% strikeout rate.  🤢  He seems like a long shot to ever make the majors. 

I think it is more the best athletes don't often chose to play baseball.

23 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

You have no idea how he would have been developed by the Os.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Well I don't think he would have been near as good as Holliday.  Putting the ball is a much more important skill in baseball than a 40 time.  How did the O's "development" work on Mateo?

They turned him into a useful player that has given them about 4 WAR or so the last 2 years.

• 2 months later...

@Tony-OHI'm curious to get your thoughts on whether it may make sense to try Holliday in CF?  CF is a more valuable position than 2B, and while Bradfield Jr is promising, Holliday should be ready sooner and could (at the minimum) add to his defensive versatility.  I'd still have him man 2B the bulk of the time, with starts at SS as well, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea to see how he adapts to it unless he's not fleet footed enough to cover ground well enough out there

Some may be concerned that it could be a distraction, especially with the switch to 2B seemingly coming, but, again, I'm not sure. 

Just spit balling.  Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

@Tony-OHI'm curious to get your thoughts on whether it may make sense to try Holliday in CF?  CF is a more valuable position than 2B, and while Bradfield Jr is promising, Holliday should be ready sooner and could (at the minimum) add to his defensive versatility.  I'd still have him man 2B the bulk of the time, with starts at SS as well, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea to see how he adapts to it unless he's not fleet footed enough to cover ground well enough out there

Some may be concerned that it could be a distraction, especially with the switch to 2B seemingly coming, but, again, I'm not sure. 

Just spit balling.  Thoughts?

I would accept him being Mookie Betts!     Mookie did about two-thirds CF and one-third 2B that first partial year.

It is going to be interesting to watch the intersection of Sigbot's appreciation for flexibility and the hope for a many All-Star lineup.    When super position player groups like the '23 Braves occur, it seems to me they tend towards being set lineups.      If you are flexing a position a lot, to me it is somewhat like quarterbacks - if you have two, you have none.     I hope by summer we see Gunnar-Holliday starting on that Seager-Semien or Trammell-Whitaker kind of thing.

Immaculate Grid made me think of Robin Ventura today, and he hit me as a fun Oklahoma State/immaculate hit tool comp if Gunnar pushes Holliday to 3B rather than 2B.     I imagine to Stillwater and OSU fans, he is baseball royalty.

• Upvote 1