What is your realistic best case scenario?

Sports Guy

I don’t actually know what’s realistic.  I have no idea what constraints ownership has put on Elias, or what constraints Elias has put on himself, or how Elias feels about various prospects and trade targets.  

I think a good offseason would be a 2/3 starter, a reliever with some closing experience, and a couple of buy low players who might have a shot to contribute the way O’Hearn did.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Since1984 said:

The team puts $20m from this years profits in escrow to spend on WS impact talent for the coming season’s. That is what I would do with the current window now open!

Realistically, an impact MOR trade/signing, a quality BP signing and depth additions that hit every position with need.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t actually know what’s realistic.  I have no idea what constraints ownership has put on Elias, or what constraints Elias has put on himself, or how Elias feels about various prospects and trade targets.  

I think a good offseason would be a 2/3 starter, a reliever with some closing experience, and a couple of buy low players who might have a shot to contribute the way O’Hearn did.  

I don't even need the closing experience.  I just want a late inning bullpen arm and that almost assuredly comes through trade.

Realistic to me.  A trade for Cease hopefully without Cowser/Kjerstad.

OR

Possibbly sign a Stroman and offset the salary by turning around and trading Santander and his 12.7M.

The reliever is tough to figure.  Robertson might be cheapest.   A potential trade for someone like Tanner Scott or A.J. Puk.

Edited by RZNJ

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Trade for Cease, Kopech and Woo.

Sign Stephenson for the pen.

At least 1 of Santander or Mountcastle traded.

Kremer traded.

Note: Players traded could be in deals for mentioned players or just for prospect trades.

Oh, you meant realistic to you.  I thought you meant in a general sense.  Lol

• Haha 4

I (we) don't know what the O's are likely to spend, what limits ME has, or who is available. I think they will take salaries from $71 M (2023) to $85 M. We need a better SP than Gibson. I WANT to offer ERod 4 @ $78 M (18,19,20,21M) with a 5th year option ($22M) contingent on 450 Inn in the first 3 years w/ sub 4.25 ERA. I expect over 475 inn at sub 4.0 ERA in the first 3 years. I don't believe ERod turns down 5yrs @ $100 M for one of his 3 preferred trade locations. Basically, Gibson-Frazier salaries pay for most of that.  Absent that, trade for Cease with the top 100 guy being Ortiz with Norby/Stowers plus lower lottery tickets. You could twist my arm for Cowser over Ortiz but they only get 1. Failing that a 1-year upgrade over Gibson from whoever is available. In the BP I assume Tate will be healthy (tendered) joining Baker and Perez in setup. Hall, Wells. Cano as closer by committee. Webb and Columbe for the last 2. Zimm, Baumann, Akin, McDermett etc in AAA. Maybe try Lopez or Fugi as a reclamation project in AAA. Trade Urias and O'Hearn to MIA for Trevor Rogers, they need offense and infield defense. Add a Stowers/Norby if needed. Maybe one of Hall-Rogers can stick in the SP rotation. Trade Santa mid-year for more pitching help after Kjerstad and Cowser settle in.

2 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I (we) don't know what the O's are likely to spend, what limits ME has, or who is available. I think they will take salaries from $71 M (2023) to $85 M. We need a better SP than Gibson. I WANT to offer ERod 4 @ $78 M (18,19,20,21M) with a 5th year option ($22M) contingent on 450 Inn in the first 3 years w/ sub 4.25 ERA. I expect over 475 inn at sub 4.0 ERA in the first 3 years. I don't believe ERod turns down 5yrs @ $100 M for one of his 3 preferred trade locations. Basically, Gibson-Frazier salaries pay for most of that.  Absent that, trade for Cease with the top 100 guy being Ortiz with Norby/Stowers plus lower lottery tickets. You could twist my arm for Cowser over Ortiz but they only get 1. Failing that a 1-year upgrade over Gibson from whoever is available. In the BP I assume Tate will be healthy (tendered) joining Baker and Perez in setup. Hall, Wells. Cano as closer by committee. Webb and Columbe for the last 2. Zimm, Baumann, Akin, McDermett etc in AAA. Maybe try Lopez or Fugi as a reclamation project in AAA. Trade Urias and O'Hearn to MIA for Trevor Rogers, they need offense and infield defense. Add a Stowers/Norby if needed. Maybe one of Hall-Rogers can stick in the SP rotation. Trade Santa mid-year for more pitching help after Kjerstad and Cowser settle in.

FWIW, you can’t use something like ERA as an incentive in a contract.  In innings yes.

9 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Thanks, I suspected that but wasn't sure. I assume that rules out "quality" measures like fWAR or pitcher ranking at end of year?

“What teams can’t do is offer incentives based on performance, such as hitting a certain number of home runs or striking out a certain number of hitters.

“Suppose your brother’s pitching and [you’re] hitting and you need one home run to make $50 million extra or whatever,” Boras said. “You obviously don’t want that.”

But bonuses for winning awards such as a batting title or finishing in high in the MVP voting are common.”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-06-01/mlb-contract-perks-oddities-christian-yelich-scott-boras