Kyle Gibson signs with the Cardinals

Going Underground

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

Half the board is trying to trade of Kremer too. LOL.

I like Kremer but for some reason I was more optimistic about him coming into 2023 than I am coming into 2024 right know. That is to say that any fantasies I had of him developing the way that Kyle Bradish has developed, has come back down to earth.  Now I look at him as a number 5, maybe number 4. His conclusions of the season was disappointing, but I guess that could be predicted with all that other stuff that was going on elsewhere that was out of his control.

8 hours ago, Pickles said:

Half the board is trying to trade of Kremer too. LOL.

Because Kremer got lit up in the playoffs. I remember after a few times through the rotation, alot of fans wanted Bradish and Kremer both gone last year. Kremer is a bulldog. He’s not going anywhere.

Irvin is out of options next year. His final numbers were actually pretty decent. Zimmerman has an option, and seems to have swingman potential in AAA. Right now, I’d say that Wells is a SP. 

The bullpen is what should have us worried for next year at this moment. 

18 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I like Kremer but for some reason I was more optimistic about him coming into 2023 than I am coming into 2024 right know. That is to say that any fantasies I had of him developing the way that Kyle Bradish has developed, has come back down to earth.  Now I look at him as a number 5, maybe number 4. His conclusions of the season was disappointing, but I guess that could be predicted with all that other stuff that was going on elsewhere that was out of his control.

If he's the fifth best pitcher in your rotation, then you're going to the playoffs.  I just don't get people acting like that's a bad thing.  People do not appreciate the dearth of pitching depth across the league and the value of a dude who posts up every fifth day and gives you 17 outs.

If you're really putting numbers on these guys, fairly, then Kremer's like a #3.  There aren't 90 starting pitchers better than him.

14 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Because Kremer got lit up in the playoffs. I remember after a few times through the rotation, alot of fans wanted Bradish and Kremer both gone last year. Kremer is a bulldog. He’s not going anywhere.

Irvin is out of options next year. His final numbers were actually pretty decent. Zimmerman has an option, and seems to have swingman potential in AAA. Right now, I’d say that Wells is a SP. 

The bullpen is what should have us worried for next year at this moment. 

I think you're right.  Everybody is focusing on the starting rotation, but getting the bullpen some help is likely to be just as if not more valuable.

We’re moving on from Gibson and that’s ok. What I liked about Gibson is he had the ability to give up 5-6 runs and still give you 5-6 IP. Sometimes a starter can not only cost you one game but tax the Pen.  That was valuable because our pen was always running on fumes last year.

We don’t have much flexibility with our relievers this year. Irvin is out of options too. Actually, only Cano, Baker, and Hall have an option for next year. Zimmerman does tool, but I expect he will be used similar to Irvin last year or even slightly less. 

If Wells is one of our 5 then we are replacing our innings eater with our SP that we will likely have to baby the most.