50 members have voted

1. 1. Who are the #21-25 Prospects?

• Baumler, Wagner, Fabian, Etzel, Lord
    • Bright, Baumler, Wagner, Fabian, Willems
    • Fabian, Wagner, Willems, Bright, Lord
    • Lord, Fabian, Etzel, Marao, Portes, Deivy Cruz
    • Wagner, Baumler, Willems, Brandon Young, Fabian

This poll is closed to new votes

This is where I'd have Baumler.  But I don't think many others, including Tony, will because of his health concerns.  Which narrows it down to the third or fourth options.  And I think Willems' bat showed enough holes in Aberdeen to drop him further.

So, I'll vote for Fabian and the Unknowns.  And get the extra prospect squeezed into this tier too!

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Go look at his last 40 game stats at Aberdeen and/or his overall offensive stats minus the 30-game stretch in Delmarva at the beginning of the year. 

I get it, but still think he showed enough as a 19/20 year old in A ball.  Think some consideration has to also be given to the offensive environment in the South Atlantic League. 

There is still a lot of upside there with the power, and assuming he can stay at catcher.  Has a chance to be in Double A at age 21 if he can bounce back in Aberdeen next year, the age of most college draft picks (as is pointed out often when referring to Mayo's development). 

Edited by ChuckS

I think we can eliminate option 4, since it has 6 names!  Too bad, because I kind of like Deivy Cruz, who doesn’t show up anywhere else in these choices.  

Fabian and Wagner show up in all the remaining choices, so this is about Baumler, Bright, Lord, Etzel, Young and Willems.  I really have no idea but I’ll go with Bright, Baumler, Wagner, Fabian, Willems.  

For me Etzel is the one must among all of these players.  He looks like a steal in the 10th round.  He has pop, speed and plate discipline--I am more excited about his potential as a hitter than Enrique Bradfield. 

I went with the top list because I wasn't impressed with the stats of the Latin pitchers in the other list with Etzel (the one with six names--a tie for 25th, perhaps?).  But scouting reports are more important than stats for players at the lowest levels, so I could be wrong.  

19 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Go look at his last 40 game stats at Aberdeen and/or his overall offensive stats minus the 30-game stretch in Delmarva at the beginning of the year. 

I was wondering why Willems slipped so much then finally looked at his A+ stats. Outside of a 30 game stretch he’s been a .190ish hitter.  Maybe the O’s were too aggressive with their promotion, but I’m sure if you find his milb thread, we were probably all clamoring for that promotion.

How much is learning the defense of the catcher position slowing down his bat?

Then moving onto Fabian… is he like a poor man’s Mike Cameron?  Lots of Ks. Some HR pop. The separation is probably defense where Cameron was GG level and Fabian is not on that level. 

As for Baumler, the lack of game innings are concerning, but with rehab, side sessions, and our development staff, he could be poised for a big year if they limit him to 3 IP starts most of the year. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I was wondering why Willems slipped so much then finally looked at his A+ stats. Outside of a 30 game stretch he’s been a .190ish hitter.  Maybe the O’s were too aggressive with their promotion, but I’m sure if you find his milb thread, we were probably all clamoring for that promotion.

How much is learning the defense of the catcher position slowing down his bat?

Then moving onto Fabian… is he like a poor man’s Mike Cameron?  Lots of Ks. Some HR pop. The separation is probably defense where Cameron was GG level and Fabian is not on that level. 

As for Baumler, the lack of game innings are concerning, but with rehab, side sessions, and our development staff, he could be poised for a big year if they limit him to 3 IP starts most of the year. 

I'm more concerned what we saw for those 30 games was just a guy on a heater.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Then moving onto Fabian… is he like a poor man’s Mike Cameron? 

“Poor man’s” or not, I don’t any comparison of Fabian to Cameron at this point in time is warranted.  Cameron had a 50 WAR career.  Repeating AA at 23, he posted a 20.8% K rate and hit 300/402/600.