Poll: Roberts for 4/44?

ChaosLex

Do you like a 4/44 deal for BRob?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like a 4/44 deal for BRob?

In 2006 he was coming back from arm surgury and had a groin issue that year as well. He probably wasn't in baseball shape at the start of the season because he spent so much time in rehab. I personally felt that B-Rob's 2006 season was pretty good for a guy who suffered a career threatening injury in September of 2005.

I actually went to the first spring training game he came back in. Spring Break in Miami....

....... with the girlfriend.

Sand to the beach, man. Sand to the beach....

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Merely basing on OPS+. His 05, 07, and 08 campaigns. One could contend that his 06 season was an aberration, but I'm just going off the numbers. I do like, however, that he started stringing together plus seasons within the last few seasons, as opposed to right out of the gates and then being inconsistent.

Shouldn't you be judging him against other second baseman, though, rather than some crude metric like OPS+?

The risk of losing BRob is pretty much the same as the risk of losing Mussina or Ryan by letting them go into their contract year. The Yankees are unhappy with Cano. The Mets are unhappy with Castillo. What are the chances that one or both of them go hard after BRob if he's available next winter? Quite high, I'd say.

2B is a premium position, and Roberts is a premium player. If the Yankees perform below expectations next season (which personally I think will happen), they could easily go after 2 or 3 more Type A free agents next year, which could mean we don't even get a 1st round pick for Roberts.

Are we overpaying with 4 years / $40 million? Possibly. I'd say it's about 60/40 for whether or not he earns that contract. But we do have a lot of money coming off the books in 2010, and it just so happens that the infield is one of our weaker points in the organization. If Roberts were, say, a left fielder, I wouldn't be so quick to extend him.

I've never seen the Sun or Roch or anyone say specifically if these deals mean an extension, or starting in 2009. That really makes an enormous amount of difference. It'd be nice if they clarified. I think its likely an extension, but its not definitely an extension. I'm surprised they are all being so consistently vague, maybe even they don't really know.

Assuming its an extension, I wouldn't give him a 4/$44M extension. I won't be furious if he signs it though, even though the odds may be against him being worth that money in 2012 and 2013, he'll almost certainly be worth more in 2010 and 2011 and I don't think he'd get us much in a trade at this point.

Hey i'm ok with it, just don't give him a no trade deal and if we get an offer down the road and it makes since to move him we move him if not thats ok to. I think Brob will still be a pretty good 2B at 35-36 just not as many SB's.

You know it continues to amaze me how some people on here are tired of the O's making bad decisions, are such die-hard fans, would give anything to see us win again, and acknowledge the past mistakes we've made..

But then just don't even think twice about giving BROB this deal because he's a fan favorite, a nice guy off the field, good for charities, etc etc.

So what you guys are saying is that if the fans didn't like BROB and if he was a shy, unfamilar guy off the field but had the same stats, that you wouldn't mind seeing him go, or would think harder about giving him the extra year?

That is a horrible way to run a franchise and to make personel decisions. Look at the Ravens....we have the Ray Ray situation. Now, if there is one person that marketing may come into play when you look across every single professional sports team, Ray Lewis may be #1 on that list. And yet, Ravens fans seem to be divided on whether he's worth more than his on field value.

Yet it seems the majority of O's fans want to see Brian get overpaid to keep him here. Really doesn't make sense.

I keep repeating that I'd give him a 4/44 deal if he had a crappy personality and looked like Billy Bob Thornton. His on-field performance merits it.

With no heir apparent waiting in the wings, this is a great deal. We've got enough holes in the IF to have to worry about one that is already properly filled. By all accounts his decline will be negligible over the course of the contract. You have the makings of a very promising young line up with Brob at the top. Good deal.

Archived