Poll: Roberts for 4/44?

ChaosLex

Do you like a 4/44 deal for BRob?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like a 4/44 deal for BRob?

The Orioles - according to Baltimore Sun reporting - were holding close to a three-year offer worth $30million until the past few weeks. Though no definite number came out of the Roberts camp, the word on the street was he was looking for closer to $40 million over that term and would look more kindly on a four-year offer. No one would be surprised if the final deal ends up being four years for about $44 million, which would be about the same average annual salary the Orioles gave Markakis.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.schmuck18feb18,0,5982414.column?track=rss

Do you like this deal or not?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never seen the Sun or Roch or anyone say specifically if these deals mean an extension, or starting in 2009. That really makes an enormous amount of difference. It'd be nice if they clarified. I think its likely an extension, but its not definitely an extension. I'm surprised they are all being so consistently vague, maybe even they don't really know.

Assuming its an extension, I wouldn't give him a 4/$44M extension. I won't be furious if he signs it though, even though the odds may be against him being worth that money in 2012 and 2013, he'll almost certainly be worth more in 2010 and 2011 and I don't think he'd get us much in a trade at this point.

That's a fine deal. He'll probably be just another 2B by the end of it, but that's ok. Chances are nobody in the system will be a MLB average second baseman in that period, and chances are he'll be better longer than any free agent available in the next year or two. The money would be a bargain anytime in the last half decade except right now. And I think folks are fooling themselves into thinking the economy means the player just needs to take whatever the team first offers and be happy with it - Brian Roberts does still have some leverage.

I'm waiting for SG to come in and bash this deal and say its "beyond awful" or something.

;)

I don't have a problem with it, the guys been good to Baltimore for awhile now. He's been through a lot of crap since he's been here and it's refreshing to see a high caliber player actually WANT to be here.

I'd hope the first year would be 2009 but if it's not I won't cry about it and act like its the end of the world....cause it's not.

I'd hope the first year would be 2009 but if it's not I won't cry about it and act like its the end of the world....cause it's not.
I agree with this. I feel that 4/$44M is the O's overpaying by a substantial amount, but he's the type of guy its ok to overpay for. I think we'll be kicking ourselves, definitely by the 5th year and maybe by the 4th, but we'll all be very happy to have him for another couple years before we get cranky.

From Schmuck:

Everybody will be on the Brian Roberts watch today, after he told reporters that he would not talk about his contract situation until Thursday and Andy MacPhail said yesterday that the club and agent Mark Pieper were "narrowing the gap."

MacPhail also was quoted as saying that it wasn't crucial to get a deal done by the day of the first full-squad workout, but it seems like it's important to Brian to sweep away all this uncertainty -- one way or the other -- before he hunkers down for a long training camp and gets ready for what's either the first year of a new deal or his option year.

It'll probably become more clear very soon.

If 2009 is the first year, I'd be very happy with a 4/$44M deal. It'd essentially be a 3/$33M extension with a $2M signing bonus.

I couldn't agree more with this.

I voted "No" in the poll under the assumption that 4/44 would be an extension to 2009.

Either way, I'll be glad when we can finally put this to bed.

Archived