Orioles ZiPS are out

Just Regular

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why?  It’s an enjoyable pastime on a November day.  

To each their own, I don't begrudge anyone who enjoys this stuff, but for me, it's just empty calories. The projections mean nothing, they are frequently way off, and they just don't add a lot of substance to the general baseball conversation. When we say "oh wow they like Kremer this year", what does that even mean? Nothing, as far as I can tell. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

To each their own, I don't begrudge anyone who enjoys this stuff, but for me, it's just empty calories. The projections mean nothing, they are frequently way off, and they just don't add a lot of substance to the general baseball conversation. When we say "oh wow they like Kremer this year", what does that even mean? Nothing, as far as I can tell. 

I don’t really disagree, I just don’t see it as any different from arguing about some trade that has about an 0.1% chance of occurring.  

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t really disagree, I just don’t see it as any different from arguing about some trade that has about an 0.1% chance of occurring.  

Yeah I'm consciously trying to not engage in "trade scenarios" this year. My take is: trades barely ever happen, statistically, compared to other transactions and therefore, almost every trade "scenario" is not worth engaging in except to say, "well, this probably isn't going to happen so my advice is to not focus on it". 

Like, everyone is hung up on Cease and people will be annoyed when it doesn't happen because they've focused all this energy on it. We're not special. Every team needs starting pitching. We are therefore not very likely to acquire Cease (or whomever), regardless of our farm system outranking everybody. I don't really see the farm system being a big factor in trades being consummated, honestly. Anyway, I digress. 

Edited by interloper

I tend to look at these for the commentary more so than the specific projections (which are fun).  Kinda like how Tony says don’t wrapped up in the spot and the reports matter more in his prospect write ups.

This is one of the best offensive teams in baseball. While that’s never a guarantee of success, it’s a great place to start!

the rotation is at least acceptable so long as they don’t have poor luck with injuries. 

It’s tempting to consider Baltimore’s 101 win-total in 2023 to be the team’s “starting point,” but that’s a path to disappointment

Then finishes the last quote with bullpen quantifies sealed with Bautista’s absence.

Norfolk could be stacked again:

It’s only a slight exaggeration to say that I’d rather have a lineup of all the Orioles who don’t make their team’s 25-man roster out of spring training than all the Washington Nationals who do!