Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, I’m not super stoked but he’s fine. Some of those numbers you said are misleading, as I showed last week.

A lot of that “drop off” was really just a few bad outings that skew things.  Overall, he’s fine but I don’t think he’s overly exciting either.

When players pitch in one inning bursts you are going to see that type of drop off.  You can't have a string of 5IP 4ER allowed.  You are either going to get a 0 ERA outing or an at least 9 ERA outing.

He got blown up in the playoffs in 2023, he was removed from the playoff roster in 2022.

The O's should be looking to do better.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

When players pitch in one inning bursts you are going to see that type of drop off.  You can't have a string of 5IP 4ER allowed.  You are either going to get a 0 ERA outing or an at least 9 ERA outing.

He got blown up in the playoffs in 2023, he was removed from the playoff roster in 2022.

Probably want to groom Hall as a closer during the regular season so he can close in the playoffs.

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Of course they should be looking to do better but ownership doesn’t care about that.

Of course, the other side to that is “who is better”? 

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Agreed but we knew Josh Hader wasn’t coming.  Stephenson is risky.  Hicks is probably not as good as Kimbrel.   I would have preferred taking the risk on the upside play in Stephenson but Elias risk averse strategy has played pretty well so far.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

...and Kimbrel was also temporarily removed the closer role last season and only regained the role after Jose Alvarado, a significantly better pitcher at the time, was placed on the IL.

I also think they should be looking to do better. I'd personally take a better pitcher with less closing experience over Kimbrel in a heartbeat. The only argument I can see for signing him is the possible benefits of adding another veteran presence to the young core.  

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Agreed but we knew Josh Hader wasn’t coming.  Stephenson is risky.  Hicks is probably not as good as Kimbrel.   I would have preferred taking the risk on the upside play in Stephenson but Elias risk averse strategy has played pretty well so far.

I'd take a 27 year old Hicks over a 25 year old Kimbrel all day (and I'm not even a huge fan of Hicks). 

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

I'd take a 27 year old Hicks over a 25 year old Kimbrel all day (and I'm not even a huge fan of Hicks). 

3-4 years of Hicks versus 1 of Kimbrel.  It’s debatable which one is better this year.  I’ll go with the one year contact.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

3-4 years of Hicks versus 1 of Kimbrel.  It’s debatable which one is better this year.  I’ll go with the one year contact.

If you factor in those years it's definitely closer. I'm not sure why, but I just have a gut feeling that someone is going to give Kimbrel a two year deal. If that's the case then it would really swing my favor to Hicks over Kimbrel.