MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Mgr Bob Melvin hinted that Ahmed is ahead of Luciano. Fangraphs has Ahmed as the SS with Luciano in AAA too.  (They have Holliday as our 2B.)

Mateo or Ahmed?  I haven't gone stat hunting but feels like a near bump.  Age and speed definitely to Mateo.  Maybe an edge to Mateo overall.

Westburg, Mountcastle, Hays, and Santander would all scratch an itch for SFG's RHH.  Assuming we have any type of appetite to deal from the top (which I doubt).

Nice try.  I don't think any other team really wants Mateo.  We just happen to have him, and the brain trust likes his versatility.  I see him now as McKenn'a replacement, with the added ability to also play infield.  I found it very interesting how the O's had him at 2B, Left Field and Right Field this past weekend.  No innings at SS.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, interloper said:

Let's see where Montgomery goes. Maybe he was waiting for Snell to set his market. He honestly makes sense for every one of the AL East teams, IMO. Boy I'd love to get him on the Snell deal but less AAV.

2/$56 with an opt out after 2024? He doesn't cost a draft pick. 

5 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Nice try.  I don't think any other team really wants Mateo.  We just happen to have him, and the brain trust likes his versatility.  I see him now as McKenn'a replacement, with the added ability to also play infield.  I found it very interesting how the O's had him at 2B, Left Field and Right Field this past weekend.  No innings at SS.

As long as keep Mateo allows the O's to jettison McKenna, I'm happy with keeping him.

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Until the sale becomes official we are unfortunately stuck operating with JA as our owner. 

Yeah. And I continue to caution that we know zilch about how Rubenstein will or will not spend. But I'm hopeful, at least. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

And the doctor in this article says he sees no correlation. Other doctors disagree. Probably won't know for years and much data collections and studies.

Spencer Strider: MLB pitch clock may exacerbate 'injury epidemic'
https://nypost.com/2024/02/26/sports/spencer-strider-mlb-pitch-clock-may-exacerbate-injury-epidemic/

Offseason Additions/Subtractions

Orioles

- Injuries to Bradish, Means, Bautista

- Lost Gibson, Fuji, Flaherty, Frazier, Hicks, Ortiz, Hall

- Gained Burnes, Kimbrel, just the #1 farm system

Yankees

- Injuries to Cole, Jasson, Kahnle

- Lost King, Thorpe, Brito, Vasquez, Hishigawa

- Gained Soto, Grisham, Verdugo, Stroman, waiver bullpen from daddy dodgers

Red Sox

- Injuries to Giolito 

- Lost Verdugo, Sale, Paxton, Duvall, Kluber, Turner, Luis Urias

- Added Grissom, O’Neil, Giolito

Rays 

- Injuries to Bradley, McLanahan, Rasmussen, Springs, Walls, Josh Lowe, Wander Franco lol

- Lost Glasnow, Stephenson, Margot, Raley

- Added Palacios, Callabero, Maton, Pepiot

Jays

- Injuries to Manoah and Jansen

- Lost Chapman, Hicks, Ryu 

- Added Turner, IKF, Kiemeier

The Rays lost a lot. The Jays failed to land Ohtani and Yamamota. The Sawx did nothing but sign Giolito to only get injured. The Yanks traded for Soto, but boy is their pitching shaky now. Judge playing CF with a toe that will never heal. Literally.

Maybe the offseason wasn’t so bad. 

I wonder if the lackluster contracts given to Boras’ clients this winter will cause Boras or some of his clients to become more amenable to considering extensions instead of hoping for the big score in free agency.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I wonder if the lackluster contracts given to Boras’ clients this winter will cause Boras or some of his clients to become more amenable to considering extensions instead of hoping for the big score in free agency.   

Can't imagine Burnes has loved what he's seen in the SP market. Basically just Nola with the big score. 

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

With so many “reporters” out there in the baseball world on various social media platforms, Boras can’t use his guys to drum up value.

The Luxury tax is also working to some extent. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Yeah. And I continue to caution that we know zilch about how Rubenstein will or will not spend. But I'm hopeful, at least. 

Just about anyone/anything will be a upgrade over the awfulness of Scrooge McAngelos. There is nowhere to go but up from where we've been from an ownership stand point.

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Just about anyone/anything will be a upgrade over the awfulness of Scrooge McAngelos. There is nowhere to go but up from where we've been from an ownership stand point.

I think it's very likely Rubenstein will be a significant upgrade on Angelos.

But as bad as he is I don't know if Angelos is even the worst owner in the game. Rockies fans have been suffering with an inept organization that remains squarely in the stone age like we were prior to Elias, and maybe to a worse degree. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think it's very likely Rubenstein will be a significant upgrade on Angelos.

But as bad as he is I don't know if Angelos is even the worst owner in the game. Rockies fans have been suffering with an inept organization that remains squarely in the stone age like we were prior to Elias, and maybe to a worse degree. 

I'm not well versed on Rockies ownership and it can certainly be argued that the A's have the worse ownership in the sport. 

What I am arguing is that Rubenstein will be a significant upgrade in terms of competent leadership. He is a self-made billionaire who by all accounts is very smart and has recruited very smart and successful people to join him with the ownership group. I am very confident, while not perfect, the org will be run MUCH better.

I'd like to think it's also that more owners/GM's are taking note re how the O's and Elias are doing things in perhaps the toughest division in baseball. Big/long FA contracts to any pitcher is IMHO a crap shoot. These one year - opt out contracts are also in my opinion, not condusive to building a team that sustains a winning profile. Boras is a snake oil salesman and I hope he just got bit by the snake!

4 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

I'd like to think it's also that more owners/GM's are taking note re how the O's and Elias are doing things in perhaps the toughest division in baseball. Big/long FA contracts to any pitcher is IMHO a crap shoot. These one year - opt out contracts are also in my opinion, not condusive to building a team that sustains a winning profile. Boras is a snake oil salesman and I hope he just got bit by the snake!

The Astros model?