MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Spencer Strider: MLB pitch clock may exacerbate 'injury epidemic'
https://nypost.com/2024/02/26/sports/spencer-strider-mlb-pitch-clock-may-exacerbate-injury-epidemic/

You know what probably exacerbates more, all of these pitch designs aimed at maximal velocity and movement.  No reason they can't just adjust to the time limit.  If that means you can't throw 100% every time, then so be it.

4 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Even if Boras' clients were plagued by rare circumstances this off-season, it still serves as a reminder to our young guys that those rare circumstances can and will periodically occur. Even if it doesn't move the needle for them a lot, every little bit of extra incentive to get them to sign now should be viewed as beneficial IMO. Hopefully the combination of this off-season's signing issues plus Rubenstein's acquisition align just right for our young guys to lock in deals this year.

Kyle Bradish is going to be okay financially even if he never pitches again, but we are also now living through the moment he "only" has a couple few million in career baseball salaries.

10 minutes ago, baltfan said:

You know what probably exacerbates more, all of these pitch designs aimed at maximal velocity and movement.  No reason they can't just adjust to the time limit.  If that means you can't throw 100% every time, then so be it.

I don’t know, Mark Buehrle was always getting injured. /s

5 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Mgr Bob Melvin hinted that Ahmed is ahead of Luciano. Fangraphs has Ahmed as the SS with Luciano in AAA too.  (They have Holliday as our 2B.)

Mateo or Ahmed?  I haven't gone stat hunting but feels like a near bump.  Age and speed definitely to Mateo.  Maybe an edge to Mateo overall.

Westburg, Mountcastle, Hays, and Santander would all scratch an itch for SFG's RHH.  Assuming we have any type of appetite to deal from the top (which I doubt).

Its so fuzzy between the 25th and 35th best shortstop in the world for any given set of 30 Opening Days.

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s on Snell, not Boras.

It depends on what Boras sold him. I assume these guys out a lot of stock into what an agent tells them they can get, especially someone as experienced as Boras. 

42 minutes ago, waroriole said:

It depends on what Boras sold him. I assume these guys out a lot of stock into what an agent tells them they can get, especially someone as experienced as Boras. 

And all of this can be true and it’s still Snell’s decision. He is the client, not Boras.

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And all of this can be true and it’s still Snell’s decision. He is the client, not Boras.

Sure it’s ultimately the client’s decision, but his other clients see the poor/risky advice and may start to rethink their partnerships. 

4 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Sure it’s ultimately the client’s decision, but his other clients see the poor/risky advice and may start to rethink their partnerships. 

They are signing solid AAV short term deals with opt outs.  So far none are doing badly.

7 hours ago, Too Tall said:

I'd like to think it's also that more owners/GM's are taking note re how the O's and Elias are doing things in perhaps the toughest division in baseball. Big/long FA contracts to any pitcher is IMHO a crap shoot. These one year - opt out contracts are also in my opinion, not condusive to building a team that sustains a winning profile. Boras is a snake oil salesman and I hope he just got bit by the snake!

I think this is valid. We've noticed a complete 180 degree turn in the way the Mets view building a roster in one half of a season. It's been my belief that Cohen has noticed the success of the Orioles, and combined with the fact none of his big priced free agents helped the Mets to have a successful winning 2023 season, and probably decided it was smarter to build from youth & talent development rather than buying older high priced free agents.

And on that note, Carlos Rodon was an attractive free agent after the 2022 season and he's been a major let down so far for the Yankees in spite of his price tag. And that has helped us.

The Rodon case was a lesson for me in not getting carried away with off-season hype.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Should the reigning Cy Young winner have to settle for a 2 year deal?

He didn't have to settle for a two year deal.  Word is the Yankees offered him 150M last month and he turned it down.

That's on him.

27 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I think this is valid. We've noticed a complete 180 degree turn in the way the Mets view building a roster in one half of a season. It's been my belief that Cohen has noticed the success of the Orioles, and combined with the fact none of his big priced free agents helped the Mets to have a successful winning 2023 season, and probably decided it was smarter to build from youth & talent development rather than buying older high priced free agents.

And on that note, Carlos Rodon was an attractive free agent after the 2022 season and he's been a major let down so far for the Yankees in spite of his price tag. And that has helped us.

The Rodon case was a lesson for me in not getting carried away with off-season hype.

I thought that  Cohen was the disrupter last year—a shot across the bow to spendthrift owners. Paradigm shift!! Now, he’s following the O’s. LOL.

2 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I thought that  Cohen was the disrupter last year—a shot across the bow to spendthrift owners. Paradigm shift!! Now, he’s following the O’s. LOL.

I don't see how you can say anyone is following the O's when a lot of the teams are locking up young talent.

Is any other team only signing guys to one and two year deals?