MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

8 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I think baseball used to have a more dominant hold on pop culture, for sure. But some of that is just because of how society has changed. In a certain sense there is just more pop culture in circulation at any given moment today than there was 50 years ago. I don't think that 70 million number is accurate but whatever it was, it was inflated by having only a few TV channels and no internet. In 2023 it's hard for anything to capture as much of the public attention market share on an ongoing basis. 

Well, they made 2 moves at the deadline. Flaherty sucked the big one. Fujinama was either dominant or downright pathetic. It’s great to find guys like Cano when you are expecting to win. It’s another to try to fix a 7 ERA guy when you are focused on winning. As I mentioned, I don’t care about the guy we gave up and this guy is fine if your planning on him as a AAA player because that’s all he is right now.

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

The earliest data for revenue I found showed NFL made 3.9 billion in 2001 while MLB made 3.6 Billion.  If you look at the tends over the last 20+ years it would be resonable to assume MLB was making more just a few years earlier which is why I went with 25 years.  I am sure it is somewhere in that range when MLB was bringing in more revenue.  Just last year NFL had 17.8 billion to MLB 10.8 billion  NBA went from 1.8 billion to 10.4 billion.  I believe NBA will pass it this year or next it is forecasted with their new TV deal.  

The year I keep seeing is 1972 for when a national poll clearly showed more people watched and preferred football as their #1 sport.   I haven't checked the economics of it.

3 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

The MLB free agency has become another boring snooze fest.  At The winter meetings the biggest thing now seems to maybe be one big singing and then one possible trade,  it used to be something to get excited about and I am not talking about just the lack of Orioles news or moves but in general.  In other sports it is a time to get excited and give a jolt in the off season where most of the signings happen in a short few day/week period.  I am not a big NFL or NBA guy but many people I work with are and they get really into the time when the free agency periods and trades periods are open.  They talk about when it  is happening and rumors and after a week or so pretty much everyone has signed and there seems to be a lot of buzz.  MLB you have basically nothing but a signing here and there and maybe if you are lucky 2 a week or so and it drags on for months and honestly it seems that fans don't really pay much attention anymore because it drags on for months.  The last few years we heard it was because of Covid and travel then it was because of the CBA and strike but here we are this year and again little to nothing is happening.  The media tried to push that there lot of talk and things should happen quick this year and people would sign early on yet we are nearing the Christmas holiday and nothing much has happened.  It is always this guy is holding up everything but then he signs and it someone else holding it up.  One of the biggest complaints about the game is it is slow moving to people and they have made a few adjustments to help out with that but now they have the exact same thing with free agency that just goes at a snails pace and most fans don't pay attention to it because it drags on.   So the question is who is to blame and should they do something about it and if so what to do.

Is it the owners, the players, the agents, MLB as a whole for not pushing it for quick signings?

Do you know who was singing and what the song was??

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

I think baseball used to have a more dominant hold on pop culture, for sure. But some of that is just because of how society has changed. In a certain sense there is just more pop culture in circulation at any given moment today than there was 50 years ago. I don't think that 70 million number is accurate but whatever it was, it was inflated by having only a few TV channels and no internet. In 2023 it's hard for anything to capture as much of the public attention market share on an ongoing basis. 

Back then people only had 3 channels and now they have 300 channels plus all the other entertainment choices.  If it wasn't 70 million, it was close.  I doubt they would have just made it up, I assume it was extrapolated from Nielson ratings.

30 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm excited that he's coming to MLB.  I just want him to sign anywhere but the AL East.  Ideally will sign in the NL.  Yankees will have one of the top rotations if they sign Yamamoto, especially if Rodon has a healthy year and Cortes is back.

I'm surprised you don't want the O's to sign him.  😉

So I decided to share this article from a Twins writer.

Twins get Kremer 

Orioles get Jose Miranda & Prospect #9 Dave Festa

Why would the Orioles want Miranda? Festa would be a get but I’m betting Elias would require quite a bit more. If the Orioles decided to trade Kremer I’d think he’d be asking for one of their 3 top 100 guys, Festa, and a 3rd guy, maybe Zebby Mathews. 

Kramer has been a mid rotation guy the last two years minus this past April and has 4 years of control.

https://twinsdaily.com/news-rumors/minnesota-twins/should-the-twins-trade-for-this-baltimore-orioles-starting-pitcher-r15423/

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

So I decided to share this article from a Twins writer.

Twins get Kremer 

Orioles get Jose Miranda & Prospect #9 Dave Festa

Why would the Orioles want Miranda? Festa would be a get but I’m betting Elias would require quite a bit more. If the Orioles decided to trade Kremer I’d think he’d be asking for one of their 3 top 100 guys, Festa, and a 3rd guy, maybe Zebby Mathews. 

Kramer has been a mid rotation guy the last two years minus this past April and has 4 years of control.

https://twinsdaily.com/news-rumors/minnesota-twins/should-the-twins-trade-for-this-baltimore-orioles-starting-pitcher-r15423/

Wow, that's terrible.  Festa could maybe turn into something but likely not in '24 and Miranda stinks at positions we don't need.