MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

9 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

$15m to be paid in 2024.   The rest paid out from 2030-2039.  

Are the LAD economic/inflation prognosticators on their A-game as much as their scouts and development system?  What about their union/owner negotiators?  

Cot's initial display of Teoscar's CBT AAV is 20.5.

It also seems like Teoscar is taking money, not years, hoping the Dodgers offense can do some good stuff for him.     He'll be out there again with Santander next winter.

I am not sure if for present QO number calculations of the Top 125 salaries if Shohei gets counted as a 2, a 47 or a 70, or Teoscar will be a 20 or a 23 for feeding into Elias' eventual decision on '25 Santander.

12 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Cot's initial display of Teoscar's CBT AAV is 20.5.

It also seems like Teoscar is taking money, not years, hoping the Dodgers offense can do some good stuff for him.     He'll be out there again with Santander next winter.

I am not sure if for present QO number calculations of the Top 125 salaries if Shohei gets counted as a 2, a 47 or a 70, or Teoscar will be a 20 or a 23 for feeding into Elias' eventual decision on '25 Santander.

Word is his market was soft and he wasn't offered anything long term.

The cap hit for this is a smidge under 20M.

His deal is pretty close to the QO, bigger number but lower actual value.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

They are clearly trying to buy it. I can think of a lot of examples where that has been a disaster. I hope it is in this case as well. What  I’m not happy about is the game playing with the numbers to allow them to spend more without the luxury tax implications. Othani is the biggest example. His number toward the cap is 40 or 50 million when he’s being paid $70 million per. I don’t care how they cut the pay or even if 99% is deferred. It’s still $700million to play baseball for 10 years. I would have no beef if it was graduated like 60,60, 60, 60, 70, 70, 70, 80, 80, 80, 80. But, the money he’s earning for the playing period should count during his service period. I’m guessing they have pushed against the tax money out years after he’s gone. 

He is NOT being paid $70m his AAV is around $45m and THAT is what he is making based on the year that he is working/playing.

You do understand that the Dodgers pay a third party the $45m in the year generated that then accrues to $70m?

By your logic if you defer salary through your 401k do you then count your annual salary at the appreciated level?  I don't know anyone who does.

And it's NOT to get around the CBT which is based on AAV (average annual value).  The $70m is something his agent dreamed up so he can claim victory...it's not a real 2024 number.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think Teoscar is pretty good, but I don't know if he's 23.5 million good.  Even if it's for one year, that seems a bit absurd.

I think it’s fine on a one-year deal.  No long-term risk. But I hope everything the Dodgers have done blows up in their face.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, TommyPickles said:

Teoscar turned down multi-year deals from the Red Sox and Angels.

From what I read it was two year deals.

I can see the logic of going for the larger AAV one year deal with a stacked team over a two year deal.

The Red Sox offered 2/28.  Not hard to see why he didn't pick that.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don’t mind them trying. 

I don’t care if teams try. What the Dodgers are doing doesn’t even remotely bother me. It just doesn’t work.(at least in terms of titles..you can win games and win your division by doing it)

The Yankees have been trying to do it since Mussina…1 title since.

The Dodgers have been doing it for years and the only title they have to show for it isn’t a real title imo.  At least the Dodgers continue to produce good players but they are going away from that more and more.

The Mets have failed. 

The Rangers did it..sort of. DeGrom didn’t help them at all. Scherzer didn’t help them. Seager and Semien did.  I don’t consider signing Eovaldi to a 2 year deal as anything in terms of trying to buy a title. But they got major contributions from their in house guys and guys they traded for like an Adolis Garcia and Jordan Montgomery.

It’s just not a recipe for success.  Winning the offseason rarely, if ever, means you win the postseason.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I don’t care if teams try. What the Dodgers are doing doesn’t even remotely bother me. It just doesn’t work.

The Yankees have been trying to do it since Mussina…1 title since.

The Dodgers have been doing it for years and the only title they have to show for it isn’t a real title imo.  At least the Dodgers continue to produce good players but they are going away from that more and more.

The Mets have failed. 

The Rangers did it..sort of. DeGrom didn’t help them at all. Scherzer didn’t help them. Seager and Semien did.  I don’t consider signing Eovaldi to a 2 year deal as anything in terms of trying to buy a title. But they got major contributions from their in house guys and guys they traded for like an Adolis Garcia and Jordan Montgomery.

It’s just not a recipe for success.  Winning the offseason rarely, if ever, means you win the postseason.

The Rangers don't make the playoffs without the six starts from DeGrom this year.