Matt Blood on Jackson Holliday

wildcard

From the WBAL Hot Stove Show on Thursday:

Question:   What is left for Holliday to do at AAA?

Jackson has really only played one year in the professional baseball.  He was 19.  Just turned 20.  He still has physical development.   He has a lot of at bats to be seen and just develop his game.  As with any left-handed hitter we want him to see more left-handed pitching.

And to just get reps at the speed of the games at which he is now competing.  It's a very difficult proposition to play AAA baseball at the age of 19 and 20.  And even more so  in Major League Baseball.  So just getting him comfortable with those things.  I'm pretty bullish that he will do just fine, in time.

We'll see when he gets called up and is ready.  He is still very much developing and is exciting.

https://www.wbal.com/podcast/orioles-insider/

_____

Doesn't sound like Matt thinks he is ready.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

From the WBAL Hot Stove Show on Thursday:

Question:   What is left for Holliday to do at AAA?

Jackson has really only played one year in the professional baseball.  He was 19.  Just turned 20.  He still has physical development.   He has a lot of at bats to be seen and just develop his game.  As with any left-handed hitter we want him to see more left-handed pitching.

And to just get reps at the speed of the games at which he is now competing.  It's a very difficult proposition to play AAA baseball at the age of 19 and 20.  And even more so  in Major League Baseball.  So just getting him comfortable with those things.  I'm pretty bullish that he will do just fine, in time.

We'll see when he gets called up and is ready.  He is still very much developing and is exciting.

https://www.wbal.com/podcast/orioles-insider/

_____

Doesn't sound like Matt thinks he is ready.

Did you expect him to say he has no reason to stay in AAA?  He said exactly what you would expect and it doesn’t mean much of anything.

I think the one thing that he needs to do is work on his power/bat speed/exit velocity.  I was a little surprised by the numbers he was measured at in the Holliday Homerun Video that was posted.  They were a little lower than I would have thought using a metal bat.  His numbers are elite for his age, but he is likely to see a major increase over the next two years as he ages from 20-22 as outlined in the chart in this article.

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I think the one thing that he needs to do is work on his power/bat speed/exit velocity.  I was a little surprised by the numbers he was measured at in the Holliday Homerun Video that was posted.  They were a little lower than I would have thought using a metal bat.  His numbers are elite for his age, but he is likely to see a major increase over the next two years as he ages from 20-22 as outlined in the chart in this article.

I think he can do that in the majors.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wasn't trying to argue, just stating my view.

I agree that he has a unique skill set where, yes, it would be beneficial for him to get those last couple years of growth/gains while playing in the MLB.  A lot of players would struggle.  Someone who didn't have his bat to ball skills and didn't have those extra 5mph of EV would constantly be flying out to the warning track.  Holliday seems to be able to hit the ball wherever he wants and doesn't sell out for pull power like a good majority of players are doing now.  

8 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

Under no circumstance would I start him in the big's. I makes no sense from an organizational perspective. Hold him down until May, get the extra year.

Are we trying to win the division?  If so, best player plays.  Service time games are for teams where winning is secondary.   

Now, does Holliday have the burden of proof to show he’s clearly the best player?  Yes.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Are we trying to win the division?  If so, best player plays.  Service time games are for teams where winning is secondary.   

Now, does Holliday have the burden of proof to show he’s clearly the best player?  Yes.  

He just has to show he's a better choice than the other options.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How can he prove he is the best player over a short sample of exhibition games? If he makes it l, it will because they have already determined he is the best option.