Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And Brooke Lierman said he definitely lied but that it doesn’t really matter because they knew there was a good chance the Angelos family would sell at some point soon no matter what John said, and negotiated the deal accordingly.  

And honestly, if they did it any different, that would have been dumb on their part. The family owns it. They have a right to sell it anytime they damn well please.

10 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

MLBtraderumors says it will take months for MLB to do background checks on the various new owners. So it doesn't sound like this will be quick ajnd easy like some hope.

MLBTR is just repeating what Rosenthal and Ghiroli said.  Ourand is the one who broke the story and he’s the one who said “weeks, not months.”

And this is what Olney said:

Though the MLB approval of the Orioles sale is not on the docket for the sport's owners meetings next week, there have been numerous examples in baseball's history when an outgoing ownership has gotten winks and nods from the incoming owners to make deals, even before formal approval is given.

So, it seems universally agreed formal approval will not be at next week’s meeting. But, Ourand thinks it will move quickly, and will be a matter of weeks and not months like Rosenthal/Ghiroli reported. And maybe next week’s owner meeting, where the deal will be discussed even if not formally approved, provides enough assurance that it will go through that the Orioles will start operating as though Rubenstein is in control, as has been the case for team sales in the past. 

And this so happens to align with the last few weeks before Spring Training when the final player movement of the offseason gets resolved and Boras may need to cave. Perhaps not coincidental that the sale reached agreement right now - basically last minute for it to be able to meaningfully impact this offseason.

That’s my fanfiction anyway. 

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And Brooke Lierman said he definitely lied but that it doesn’t really matter because they knew there was a good chance the Angelos family would sell at some point soon no matter what John said, and negotiated the deal accordingly.  

I don’t mean this in any political way but I actually appreciated getting to know who she was during this process. She was refreshingly blunt about a few things. 

5 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

MLBTR is just repeating what Rosenthal and Ghiroli said.  Ourand is the one who broke the story and he’s the one who said “weeks, not months.”

Though the MLB approval of the Orioles sale is not on the docket for the sport's owners meetings next week, there have been numerous examples in baseball's history when an outgoing ownership has gotten winks and nods from the incoming owners to make deals, even before formal approval is given.

So, it seems universally agreed formal approval will not be at next week’s meeting. But, Ourand thinks it will move quickly, and will be a matter of weeks and not months like Rosenthal/Ghiroli reported. And maybe next week’s owner meeting, where the deal will be discussed even if not formally approved, provides enough assurance that it will go through that the Orioles will start operating as though Rubenstein is in control, as has been the case for team sales in the past. 

And this so happens to align with the last few weeks before Spring Training when the final player movement of the offseason gets resolved and Boras may need to cave. Perhaps not coincidental that the sale reached agreement right now - basically last minute for it to be able to meaningfully impact this offseason.

I’ve been entertaining the same narrative but repeatedly keep telling myself it’s not realistic. Who knows, and it’s fun to dream, isn’t it? We’d never even begin to consider this with Angelos running things. 

13 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

OR WE JUST TRADE FOR CORBIN BURNES

11 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I don't think it is fiction at all-I think they have the tacit approval of MLB.  Players start getting paid when the season starts so the have a couple months to sort it out but I don't think JA is absorbing Burnes first few months of salary out of the kindness of his heart. 

Doesn't matter if it's weeks or months.  It's going to happen and the Orioles can operate now as if it's done.  Elias is free to speak with Ruby any time he wants to.  He's free to make financial commitments now that will be paid out in the future so long as Dave agrees.  The new ownership group can work with design firms on OP@CY improvements and anything else they want to do.  JA is still around if an official signature is needed in the short term.  The only thing that will really change from here on out is who collects what monies from team operations and I'm sure they will work that out.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/2024/02/02/mlbs-approval-process-for-orioles-sale-to-david-rubenstein-is-moving-rapidly/?utm_medium=browser_notifications&utm_source=pushly&utm_campaign=4166582

Didn't see this posted anywhere; here is an article from earlier today. Two passages stand out to me:

Rubenstein’s agreement to become controlling owner is expected to move more rapidly than most, partly because the Baltimore native, philanthropist and co-chairman of The Carlyle Group is particularly well-known, said the sources...

Estimates of the Rubenstein timeline are as short as less than six weeks, but the sources cautioned that it could take longer.

We have heard "weeks, not months" for a few days but this is the first time I've seen a real time estimate.

But a path had long been in place. Twenty months before word of the sale became public Tuesday, legal documents — in a since-settled family lawsuit over Peter Angelos’ assets — revealed that his plan was for his family to sell the club after he was gone.

I remember a while ago a rumor going around that the family would either choose to or be "forced to" sell the team once Peter died, but I don't recall anyone reputable confirming it and it seemed as much wishful thinking as reality. But I guess it was 100% true.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HandsomeQuack said:

I remember a while ago a rumor going around that the family would either choose to or be "forced to" sell the team once Peter died, but I don't recall anyone reputable confirming it and it seemed as much wishful thinking as reality. But I guess it was 100% true.

It would have been very difficult for the Angelos to have paid the estate taxes and kept the Orioles in their family even if they wanted to.  Add the fact that Baseball would still have had to approve the transfer from his estate to one of the family members which I don’t think they would have any stomach to do and the fact none of them have any other significant outside source of income other than the Orioles it seemed highly unlikely to ever stayed in their family.  To say the least this looks like a real happy ending.  

On 1/31/2024 at 11:32 AM, Keygans said:

This is an incredibly accurate point.    However, I am making an educated guess based on something I heard that Rubenstein and Elias have had conversations and both appear to be on the same page at least out of the gate . 

Interesting.  I figured that Elias & Rubenstein have probably spoken by this point, since it’s now public knowledge that the team is being sold to DR.  I would think that Mike Elias probably impresses most people he speaks with, as he’s incredibly smart, articulate and personable, and being a Yale grad is probably a big selling point for DR right off the bat, in addition to the fact that Elias is from the DMV region, just as DR is.

On 2/1/2024 at 8:01 PM, Sports Guy said:

And honestly, if they did it any different, that would have been dumb on their part. The family owns it. They have a right to sell it anytime they damn well please.

They have a right to sell it.  Baldly lying to a business counterparty about their intentions to sell was very poor conduct.  

16 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I know DR will be the point man when the sale is approved,will John Angelos still be the head of MASN ? 

I can’t imagine that will be true.  Haven’t seen it discussed in the media, though.