Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

I guarantee you, that every guy on the 26-man roster is ecstatic over this acquisition, well 25 now, Hall is probably not thrilled.

DL Hall has a lot of friends in that clubhouse. I'm sure it's very bittersweet for them because they don't want to see their friend going to another team. Grayson is one of his absolute his best friends. Grayson, Gunnar, Adley, etc... They're going to miss having the person who is DL Hall around them every day.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yes, especially playing for a team like the Brewers I’ll be rooting for Ortiz to be an all-star SS and Hall to be a lights out reliever.  Not sure I can root for Hall to be the next Sandy Koufax.  Lol

Hammonds was an all star for the Brewers after he left us. It was kind of cool to root for him in a different league. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

This is exactly the type of move they make when they're trying to win a WS in the next 2 - 3 years while the core is intact. Take your shot with a proven stud who can lead the staff and show the way. Cease is still learning on the job and may never become what Burnes is now. I like it. If it doesn't work out take the pick and try again next year. The time to start going for it is now. 

3 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

It's going to be bittersweet for a few. Their friends are off to another team.

Pretty sure Joey Ortiz is mostly elated and his buddies are pretty happy for the opportunity he’s probably going to get.   Same but to a lesser degree for Hall who would have had an important role here too.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hammonds was an all star for the Brewers after he left us. It was kind of cool to root for him in a different league. 

I think he was an all-star for the Rockies in 2000.   His only time.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No.

A pick next draft is more valuable than a pick the draft after.

Also the 2024 pick is a lock, the 2025 pick is just a strong probability.

Of course the idea that the O's are a lock to get six years of ML service time out that pick is pretty amusing in its own right.

I just don’t like it for one year of control. Pitcher is the riskiest position.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I just don’t like it for one year of control. Pitcher is the riskiest position.

If you don't like this trade you aren't ever going to like a trade. We could have paid 2x for a pitcher with more control, but how does that make the trade any less risky?