What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?

Frobby

What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?

• Couldn’t be happier - great pitcher, would have been willing to give up more if needed
    • Love it - great pitcher, price is fair and reasonable
    • Like it a lot -great pitcher, but the price was a bit steep
    • Okay with it but nervous - putting a lot of eggs in one-year basket for two good cost-controlled players and a pick
    • Don’t really like it

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/10/24 at 09:23

Said Elias would be my barometer after sale was announced. Well, this trade says alot and no words have yet been spoken! 

1. As others have said, not sure it would have been made/approved by JA alone.

2. Tells me even though they may or may not extend Burns, they are going to be players going forward. So even though we had to give to get, we have just witnessed the changing of "the guard." 

3. Trade is fair all around and I wish Ortis and Hall the best. 

4. You talk about a 180 in 48 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was the type of move the Orioles needed to start making. I love Hall, but he is still all potential at this point. Ortiz is blocked, barring injuries and whatnot, so him languishing in the minors doesn't help him or the Orioles he always seemed to be the most likely trade piece to me. 

6 years of Hall vs 1 year of Burnes - yeah I get that, but sometimes i think you do the short-term move if it genuinely moves the needle and a guy like Burnes does that. The Orioles are in the thick of it now and sometimes you need to trade the potential for the right now. 

• Upvote 1

Losing Hall hurts. It’s a big arm to give up and we needed him this year. That’s not really debatable. 

But you aren’t getting a guy like this without it hurting somewhat. 

Hall is also an injury concern and obviously we know about the command and control issues.  Maybe he never becomes anything.  Maybe he becomes Hader. Who knows. For me, I don’t really care. You have to make this trade.  If Burnes blows out his arm in ST, that will suck and you will have gotten nothing…and it’s still a trade they had to make.

• Upvote 1

I voted a little nervous.  I think he’s been a great pitcher and he was in the 2nd half last year.   Overall, he was good.   I was happy with the value we gave up but would have been better with Cowser or Norby, or  Povich, instead of Hall.   None of the former likely was playing a significant role on this team.  Hall looked like he was going to be a really good high leverage reliever.  Maybe dominant.  My nervousness relates more to the void his departure leaves in the bullpen not the service time we gave up for a rental.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I voted a little nervous.  I think he’s been a great pitcher and he was in the 2nd half last year.   Overall, he was good.   I was happy with the value we gave up but would have been better with Cowser or Norby, or  Povich, instead of Hall.   None of the former likely was playing a significant role on this team.  Hall looked like he was going to be a really good high leverage reliever.  Maybe dominant.  My nervousness relates more to the void his departure leaves in the bullpen not the service time we gave up for a rental.

I'm guessing there is another move (at least) to be made.  I honestly don't feel comfortable with where the bullpen is at this time.

I’m through the roof.  He was my dream going into off-season but didn’t think they’d do it.  I feel like we robbed them.  I’m a huge fan of both Hall & Ortiz and think they have a legit shot to be big performers, but they carry risk as well.  At the end of the day it’s like the Miller trade.  We gave up legit talent and got a high end player at a position of need.  I hope both Hall and Ortiz go off and have great careers.  Of Burns gives us a legit shot at a WA it will have been worth it regardless of an extension and great careers from Hall & Ortiz.  The FO doesn’t again.  What are the haters gonna complain about now?  

31 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Their forte seems to be finding and developing BP pieces.  I have all the confidence in the world they will find high performers and continue to develop the in house guys.  We havnt Had a Legit ace since Bedard.  The impact will be felt through the rotation and the bullpen. 

I voted like it alot but the price was steep. Hall is possibly going to be dominant out of the bullpen this year and then you add Ortiz and the 34th pick. Thats alot of years of control for a one year rental, even if it is an ace. The WS board pointed out the O's will have to find another SP next offseason when Burnes leaves. So yeah steep price.

Absolutely thrilled because more than anything it’s Elias and the Orioles finally making a big boy move. It’s telling the rest of MLB we’re all in. Liftoff, if you will. 

Definitely hurts to lose Hall and Ortiz, but you’ve got to pay to play. I’m happy Ortiz will get a real shot to play and I hope he thrives. But even with the trade the Birds still have the best farm system in baseball, and now a legit ace to boot. 

22 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Their forte seems to be finding and developing BP pieces.  I have all the confidence in the world they will find high performers and continue to develop the in house guys.  We havnt Had a Legit ace since Bedard.  The impact will be felt through the rotation and the bullpen. 

We had a dominant reliever in Bautista.  Kimbrel used to be.  Hall promised to be.  I doubt they can claim or trade for someone who can be dominant this season UNLESS they want to try McDermott or Johnson there but I doubt they take them off of their starter routines in the minors.

I just want to make sure my position on this is clear.

I want Elias to get his Verlander. Burnes could be that guy. The price is totally fine with me. I'd have even paid more. The reason I hesitate is because it's for 1 year, which means he's not our Verlander unless/until we extend him.

Let's say we lose him this year. Do we trade Tavera and McDermott for next year's Burnes? Even with our system, it's not a sustainable method of talent acquisition.

The good news is I believe Elias thinks Burnes is his Verlander. I think he thinks Rubenstein will try to re-sign him. I believe there's a good chance we do. If that happens, I'm also over the moon. It's just that, right now, all we have to go on with Burnes is his comments last year. 

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I just want to make sure my position on this is clear.

I want Elias to get his Verlander. Burnes could be that guy. The price is totally fine with me. I'd have even paid more. The reason I hesitate is because it's for 1 year, which means he's not our Verlander unless/until we extend him.

Let's say we lose him this year. Do we trade Tavera and McDermott for next year's Burnes? Even with our system, it's not a sustainable method of talent acquisition.

The news is I believe Elias thinks Burnes is his Verlander. I think he thinks Rubenstein will try to re-sign him. I believe there's a chance we do. If that happens, I'm also over the moon. It's just that, right now, all we have to go on with Burnes is his comments last year. 

I dont see Burnes resigning if he has a typical year for him. You see what Boras is doing with Snell, holding out for 270M? Boras likes to reset the market every year upward.

8 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

The reason I hesitate is because it's for 1 year, which means he's not our Verlander unless/until we extend him.

We have a real owner now who, y'know, can just sign a big arm.

This is the type of move you just have to if you're serious about winning a WS. You need this type of arm in the playoffs.

Now having said that, you're giving up a lot of years of control for one year. Also, Burnes was diminished last year whether we want to admit it or not. Velocity down, strikeouts down. Did make changes and course correct in the second half. This is a Houston in their prime type of acquire slightly diminished Ace and get them back to peak form. Also better stadium, defense, Adley handling.