Orioles acquire Nick Maton

eddie83

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

That might be true this spring, but I'm not sure that's his reputation as a player in the minors and majors. I've seen him described as "bat first". He's versatile, but not a guy you want out there at SS regularly. 

Castillo has started at SS 386 times in the minors.  No one considers him a future ML SS but he's sound enough there to be a AAA SS.    Robinson might be better but his bat has always been weak and I think they'll just go with the better overall player.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

That might be true this spring, but I'm not sure that's his reputation as a player in the minors and majors. I've seen him described as "bat first". He's versatile, but not a guy you want out there at SS regularly. 

SSS for me, obviously.   I saw him make two really nice catches on pop flies into no man’s land in medium LCF, plus a couple of strong throws from SS. 

On the other hand, I saw Maton make a really weak throw from about five feet to the left of 2B that Nevin had to pick.  I also saw a play where Castillo fielded a grounder with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th and turned to flip it to Maton for the game-ending force play, but Maton hadn’t covered the bag in time, so Castillo had to pivot and throw to 1B but the runner was safe by an eyelash.  The next ball was hit to Castillo again and he didn’t even look Maton’s way, making the throw to 1B instead.  So, let’s just say I was more impressed by Castillo than Maton.