S Rutchsman C
L Henderson SS
S Santander RF
R Mountcastle 1B
L Kjerstad DH
R Hays LF
L Mullins CF
R Westburg 3B

Sheeesh. The top 3 being the 3 straight #1 prospects is just ridiculous. And then incredible balance throughout the rest of the linup. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm looking forward to this eventual lineup (pre-Mayo):

L Holliday 2B
S Rutchsman C
L Henderson SS
S Santander RF
R Mountcastle 1B
L Kjerstad DH
R Hays LF
L Mullins CF
R Westburg 3B

Sheeesh. The top 3 being the 3 straight #1 prospects is just ridiculous. And then incredible balance throughout the rest of the linup. 

Gets even more fun when you start plugging in Basallo, Mayo, Bradfield…

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

That only computes if you believe Holliday is one of our best 26 players as of Opening Day.  He may be.  I’m not assuming anything at this point.  

This is still the right point.  And Burnes being here doesn't hinder the fact that the best 26 on Opening Day does not have the be the same best 26 at the start of playoffs and still maintain rookie status for '25.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's not exactly rare for someone under the age of 21 to be on a ML team when they make the playoffs.

Manny for instance.

The last three years, there were a total of 7 players who debuted before age 21.  Four of them (Wander Franco, Francisco Alvarez, Junior Caminiero, AJ Smith-Sawver) played in the postseason in their debut year.

Marc Topkin on the Tampa beat doesn't have any (freshly extended) GM Erik Neander quotes on Caminero specifically in this recent report, but he did have some straight from Neander content elsewhere in the story.

Its also so Shane McClanahan Raysian classic to use a guy in the postseason and send him to AAA again next spring.    It wouldn't automatically take Caminero out of the Evan Carter Chase, but same as with us it means they wouldn't get the bonus pick if Caminero could pull an Adley.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2024/02/10/spring-training-jose-caballero-junior-caminero-pepiot-taj-bradley-harold-ramirez/

Caminero, based on consensus of prospect experts, is one of the game’s top three-five young players, with the potential for superstardom. But, at least to start the season, it seems unlikely he will be among the 13 Rays position players in the big leagues.

It’s not so much that Caminero is only 20, as the Rays felt comfortable enough (albeit in desperate straits given a slew of injuries) to call him up from Double A in late September and put him on the playoff roster.

More so that he has played only 223 minor-league games and just 81 as high as Double A. His defense around the infield needs work, as does his explosive approach at the plate. He’ll have six weeks to show his readiness.

I think Holliday can be a 280 hitter right away. It's tempting to delay the service time, but our window is now and he may give us an extra couple wins in that 6-8 weeks just being an everyday player from the jump. In the AL East that's too valuable to lose.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, G54377 said:

I think Holliday can be a 280 hitter right away. It's tempting to delay the service time, but our window is now and he may give us an extra couple wins in that 6-8 weeks just being an everyday player from the jump. In the AL East that's too valuable to lose.

The schedule is soft early on, too, so you might as well use that time to break him in. 

2 hours ago, G54377 said:

It’s nice that you think Holliday can be a .280 hitter right away, but what do Elias and Hyde think?

2 hours ago, G54377 said:

Are the service time rules still 172 days out of 185ish MLB calendar?  So would really just be keeping Holliday down in minors through mid-April to bring 7th year into play (provided he is not among top rookie of year votes)?