JD Martinez

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

And if he signs with us he’s very likely in the post season again.

Huh?

You mentioned his stat line from last season and I showed how his HR total would be lower with the change in home park.

I just mentioned the playoffs since Statcast was working off a HR total of 34 instead of 33.

49 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

After thinking about it and Hyde saying the team was “banged up” at the end of last year, we really need to rotate the OF the way we have done the IF. Hays and Santa avoided the IL, but they need some rest.  

Mullins too.    I think Hyde ventilating that early is code to the outfield veterans not to expect many Consecutive Games Played streaks longer than 5-10 games.

Consecutive Games streaks are for young infielders, like maybe a ridiculous 14 games in a row if you are an MVP candidate.

22 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If you drop the Covid season he’s done that 4 out of 5 seasons. I mean the lowest of the 4 is 99 RBI. He had an off year in 2022….so when you say very little you’re wildly exaggerating. Homers 28, 33, 36, and 43

I don't quite understand why you're dismissing the fact that he was bad in the COVID season? it still counts! He was bad in 2020 and mediocre in 2022. So two of the last four seasons he's been mediocre or below average. And he regressed considerably in OBP last season, which was really one of the only things that separated Martinez from all the other generic power hitters. And he's about to turn 37 this summer. That's A LOT of red flags. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Mullins too.    I think Hyde ventilating that early is code to the outfield veterans not to expect many Consecutive Games Played streaks longer than 5-10 games.

Consecutive Games streaks are for young infielders, like maybe a ridiculous 14 games in a row if you are an MVP candidate.

That’s what has made me turn on this. Hyde wouldn’t have said that if it weren’t true. Burnes and Kimbrel are vets. Burnes seems like he’s going to be one of our leaders. Do we really need another veteran just because they are a hitter?

We know what O’Hearn is. I’d rather not a true DH and rotate Cowser in from OD. Cowser over Kjerstad because he is a better defender and we could DH Hays and Santa more.

We have so many bats. Why not try and develop Cowser and Kjerstad at the MLB level. If we do beed a bat then we could get one at the deadline and not have the burden of keeping Martinez healthy and performing. Heck, maybe by July 31, Basallo is in the DH discussion.

I wouldn’t be mad if we signed Martinez, but after weighing the pros/cons it makes more sense see what we have first then make a move if need be. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

11 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I don't quite understand why you're dismissing the fact that he was bad in the COVID season? it still counts! He was bad in 2020 and mediocre in 2022. So two of the last four seasons he's been mediocre or below average. And he regressed considerably in OBP last season, which was really one of the only things that separated Martinez from all the other generic power hitters. And he's about to turn 37 this summer. That's A LOT of red flags. 

It wasn’t a full season ….so it seems to reason he couldn’t  have hit 30 homeruns and 100+RBI in 52 games. Many guys did poorly due to the interruptions caused by Covid.

@Can_of_corn I saw your reply. His production this year was in 113 games. If he’s heathy he should hit in 140ish games. So it seems to reason that even with the stadium adjustments he should still hit 30-35 and drive in more than 103?

Edited by Roll Tide

No.   We do not need a position less player on the roster clogging up the DH spot every night.   We've plenty of guys who can easily DH for us and put up good numbers though maybe not quite to JD level.  But that's not worth the tradeoff in lack of flexibility he brings to the lineup construction.   Pass. 

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

According to Statcast he would have had 29 last season.  (Statcast includes post season numbers which is where the 34 comes from)

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/j-d-martinez-502110?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

One day, he will fall off a cliff.  Maybe he’ll be like Cruz and fend it off until he’s in his 40’s, but that’s a dangerous bet.  We’ve seen the consequence of relying on older players a few too many times for me to want to gamble on Martinez having another good year left in him.  Plus, I want the young guys to develop so we’re not having this same conversation next year. 

There are several things that teams do I cannot understand.

1. Signing DH only players

2. Draft and develop exclusively relief pitchers

3. Spending a high draft pick on 1B

Obviously, there are some exceptions but these limit team's roster options. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I’d be shocked if he constructed a statement with such a motive in mind so far in advance. 

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One day, he will fall off a cliff.  Maybe he’ll be like Cruz and fend it off until he’s in his 40’s, but that’s a dangerous bet.  We’ve seen the consequence of relying on older players a few too many times for me to want to gamble on Martinez having another good year left in him.  Plus, I want the young guys to develop so we’re not having this same conversation next year. 

Well he’s a money bat …. If he produces like last year over150-160 games and Hyde isnt stupid enough to try to hide him in the outfield hopefully he’s healthy and doesn’t fall off the cliff. I think it would be nice to have a hitter of his caliber. We have a lot of guys that could be that good down the road. But, I’d be shocked if we got that kind of production this year.

Edited by Roll Tide

I'm still of the mind that 1.) our young guys are still in the evaluation phase and that Elias and Co. are going to give them the opportunity to prove what they are - for good or bad, and 2.) they are not in a true "spending" phase until #1 is teased out, where they can use funds to either plug those holes OR accentuate an area that would put us over the top, so to speak.

I think the trade deadline is where things could get interesting.

1 hour ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

I'm still of the mind that 1.) our young guys are still in the evaluation phase and that Elias and Co. are going to give them the opportunity to prove what they are - for good or bad, and 2.) they are not in a true "spending" phase until #1 is teased out, where they can use funds to either plug those holes OR accentuate an area that would put us over the top, so to speak.

I think the trade deadline is where things could get interesting.

****** Martinez made $10 million last year. Even if it’s solely Angelos that’s in the price range on a 1 year deal.

Edited by Roll Tide