Bauer interested in O's

Bigbie03

10 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Ah.  So he’s not a cancer, just a bad tutor.  Noted.  

I thought due to my “views” we were on longer discussing the matter.  

My point was the screen shots you posted didn't exactly paint a picture of Bauer being a baseball savant. And yes that's relelvant to the discussion because some folks have noted his potential ability to provide guidance and tutelage to our younger players as a selling point for taking a chance on him. 

10 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Precisely.  It’s a baseball team and nothing more.  And I trust Elias to make the right decision.  I could care less if they sign him or not.  I see him as a potential candidate to help the team.  He’s an impressive example of making yourself out of nothing. It’s just crazy to me to observe the mob mentality that has followed the human condition since the beginning on man.  Oh to be so righteous and, all the while,  make yourself feel just a little bit better while doing so. 

From nothing? 

He was born in N Hollywood, grew up in Santa Clarita-his family was very well off.

He had a professional pitching coach at age 11-12.... "His father introduced Trevor to L.A. long-toss guru Alan Jaeger, who tutored one of the most durable pitchers in the big leagues, the Angels' Dan Haren. When Trevor was 12, Jaeger put him on an arm-care program similar to what physical therapists prescribe for pitchers rehabilitating from rotator-cuff surgery."

He had advantages very,very few have.

Edited by SemperFi
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Oh, that wasn't you who was arguing that Elias had to be the adult in the room?  My mistake.

C'mon man, you know damn well that I was was speaking in hyberbole. My point was that someone who's more experienced and qualified (i.e., Elias) should be making the decision (not the players) and in this case that person happens to be older. 

If you're upset about the Moose, Jr post then I apologize. That was 100% meant as a joke. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

C'mon man, you know damn well that I was was speaking in hyberbole. My point was that someone who's more experienced and qualified (i.e., Elias) should be making the decision (not the players) and in this case that person happens to be older. 

If you're upset about the Moose, Jr post then I apologize. That was 100% meant as a joke. 

No, you weren't speaking in hyperbole, at least how that's not how it came across.  

Look at it this way:  Say Elias goes out and gets Bauer without consulting with the leaders on the team and then finds out they're pissed AF about it.  Then he's got a bit of a problem on his hands.  

I never said the players should be the ones to make the decision, I believe I said that the leaders on the team AND Elias should make that decision together.  

I don't get  REALLY upset/personally offended on here, unless the Orioles do something stupid or awful...and not until JTrea comes back, at least.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No, you weren't speaking in hyperbole, at least how that's not how it came across.  

Look at it this way:  Say Elias goes out and gets Bauer without consulting with the leaders on the team and then finds out they're pissed AF about it.  Then he's got a bit of a problem on his hands.  

I never said the players should be the ones to make the decision, I believe I said that the leaders on the team AND Elias should make that decision together.  

I don't get  REALLY upset/personally offended on here, unless the Orioles do something stupid or awful...and not until JTrea comes back, at least.

That's not how I read your - if they player's are good with it I'm good with it - comment. If that's what you really meant  then I think we're on the same page. If Elias is considering signing Bauer then consulting the players is something he absolutely should do as he weighs the pros and cons. My point about the adults making the decisions was that even with their imput Elias (i.e., the adult) should ultimately be the one to make the call. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

That's not how I read your - if they player's are good with it I'm good with it - comment. If that's what you really meant  then I think we're on the same page. If Elias is considering signing Bauer then consulting the players is something he absolutely should do as he weighs the pros and cons. My point about the adults making the decisions was that even with their imput Elias (i.e., the adult) should ultimately be the one to make the call. 

Yep.  

I really don't need to see the Orioles field a team of choirboys to feel good about winning.  Throw out a team of convicts if they can win a World Series, I really don't care anymore.

Bauer isn’t a fly under the radar type player. He talks a lot of crap on the mound. Then tweets and blogs about it. He’s incapable of keeping a low profile. That’s without his rape/assault allegations

He would never just fly under the radar here. We would be the Trevor Bauer show. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yep.  

I really don't need to see the Orioles field a team of choirboys to feel good about winning.  Throw out a team of convicts if they can win a World Series, I really don't care anymore.

Is there any limit? Should we be exploring the trade cost for Wander Franco? 

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Honestly, not for me, no.  

Listen, I really don't care.  I really don't.  I've long, long stopped looking at athletes as role models and people that should be emulated, that's all gone out the window.  Just because they're highly visible and just because they make a lot of money doesn't mean they're without issues...or should be without issues.  People -no matter how physically gifted or intellectually gifted- can't hide from who they are.

I'm under no illusion that the Orioles haven't employed a Wander Franco or two over the years and we've cheered that player on...we just weren't aware of it.

Mind you, I'm not stumping for us to go out and actively seek players with past issues, but if they were to acquire one, I don't care.   

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Honestly, not for me, no.  

Listen, I really don't care.  I really don't.  I've long, long stopped looking at athletes as role models and people that should be emulated, that's all gone out the window.  Just because they're highly visible and just because they make a lot of money doesn't mean they're without issues...or should be without issues.  People -no matter how physically gifted or intellectually gifted- can't hide from who they are.

I'm under no illusion that the Orioles haven't employed a Wander Franco or two over the years and we've cheered that player on...we just weren't aware of it.

Mind you, I'm not stumping for us to go out and actively seek players with past issues, but if they were to acquire one, I don't care.   

OK, I'm gonna strongly disagree and leave it at that.

29 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

On another note, anyone else think Wander Franco is regretting that MLB tattoo on his neck?

images_GettyImages_mmsport_21_01h3jv1e1506sbmrx52e.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SemperFi said:

From nothing? 

He was born in N Hollywood, grew up in Santa Clarita-his family was very well off.

He had a professional pitching coach at age 11-12.... "His father introduced Trevor to L.A. long-toss guru Alan Jaeger, who tutored one of the most durable pitchers in the big leagues, the Angels' Dan Haren. When Trevor was 12, Jaeger put him on an arm-care program similar to what physical therapists prescribe for pitchers rehabilitating from rotator-cuff surgery."

He had advantages very,very few have.

Huh?  Pedro Martinez had a professional pitching coach at 8, was he well off?  Maybe his family sacrificed for his dream?  Bauer grew up in a working class cookie cutter neighborhood in Santa Clarita.  His dad busted his ass so his son could chase a dream.  His dad was obsessed with baseball and got him lessons (first with a Dominican player) but more important he held him accountable to the workouts and practice regimes or he wouldn’t continue buying lessons.  

But that’s not even what I was talking about.  He had no vertical, no broad jump, was slow as hell, wasn’t strong and powerful, and was 6’ 165 as a freshman in college.  He wasn’t a natural athlete by any definition of the word.  He made him self from nothing.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1