Bauer interested in O's

Bigbie03

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Serious question, why do you think Gunnar is "absolutely our leader" and not Adley?

I think the whole concept that a sports team has one “leader” is mistaken.  Most good teams have multiple leaders and there isn’t necessarily a hierarchy among them.  

13 hours ago, Malike said:

It was from a training I was at. When I am back to work next week I can see if I can post the actual study. They also found that almost 3/4 of restraining orders issued were either trivial or false. It's a problem and not just for men, but for everyone.

I’d be curious to hear how police generally go about investigating a domestic assault/abuse accusation.  I’d imagine many cases are he said/she said, so how do you determine who’s version of events is the truth?   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the whole concept that a sports team has one “leader” is mistaken.  Most good teams have multiple leaders and there isn’t necessarily a hierarchy among them.  

Agreed, although I think there is definitely a general proclivity in baseball for the younger players to look towards/defer to the older players. So debating whether or not Rutschman or Henderson is the leader is probably silly, but discussing the potential implications of adding an older player with baggage to that dynamic seems justifiable. 

18 hours ago, Malike said:

False allegations rarely happen? I can tell you that isn't true. I've been to more calls than I can ever remember over the past 22 years when a girl or guy even, makes something up because they were cheated on, or had an argument, or just wanted them out of the house.  

While I'm not a first responder or cop, I am an attorney who deals with title and estate/family issues.  The amount of lies, deceit and false allegations would stun the average person.   I have no clue about the Bauer situation or the truth behind it.   But folks in this thread who claim false accusations rarely happen are completely wrong, especially in domestic relationship disputes.

• Upvote 1

Didn’t we sign a similar checkered past in Michael Givens last year? Don’t Orioles fans who are Ravens fans still love Ray Lewis? There are some extremely vocal voices on X who would absolutely freak out if we signed Bauer. It kind of makes me want to see it happen, tbh.

Look, the guy was cleared of wrong doing and all one has to do is watch the interview of the “victim” to understand what type of insanity Bauer has dealt with as a result.

moral of the story: don’t dip your dick in crazy.

36 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm all for a comeback/redemption story, but comparing Bauer to Hamilton seems like apples to oranges. Hamilton showed a considerable amount of remorse and regret for his struggle with drugs and when he made his comeback he was the epitome of humility. I'm not even sure Trevor Bauer knows how to spell the word humility. Therein lies the problem. It has nothing to do with legal or illegal actions. It's that every indication (videos, vlogs, interviews, etc.) suggest that Trevor Bauer is the exact same person he was before his suspension. And even before the sexual assault allegations there were clubhouse issues. Upstaging a very well-respected manager by throwing the ball into the stands like a petulant child, the drone incident, Dodgers and Reds players growing tired his constant vlogging/camera use around the team, etc. I agree that it's ultimately Elias' decision to make, but bringing someone with that much baggage into a clubhouse and team that you've just spent the last six years rebuilding and molding into your vision of an annual contender seems like it would be a complete act of desperation. And even with last week's flurry of injury news I really don't think this is a team in desperation mode. 

Did you watch the interview someone posted.  Maybe it’s all an act to get back in MLB but Bauer showed humility and said he acted inappropriately in his MLB career (nothing to do with the allegations).   Personally, I think his agent and he orchestrated his new demeanor but it was a good act.

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

While I'm not a first responder or cop, I am an attorney who deals with title and estate/family issues.  The amount of lies, deceit and false allegations would stun the average person.   I have no clue about the Bauer situation or the truth behind it.   But folks in this thread who claim false accusations rarely happen are completely wrong, especially in domestic relationship disputes.

What I would want a police officer to do is to not prejudge either way whether the complainant or other party is telling the truth.   Just investigate and see what the facts show.   

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Did you watch the interview someone posted.  Maybe it’s all an act to get back in MLB but Bauer showed humility and said he acted inappropriately in his MLB career (nothing to do with the allegations).   Personally, I think his agent and he orchestrated his new demeanor but it was a good act.

I did, but it's a bit hard to give it much credence when he's still having incidents as recent as last season. Based on his actions it's pretty clear to me that wherever Trevor Bauer goes he's still going to need to be the center of attention, which is the exact opposite of humility.  

https://nypost.com/2023/07/02/trevor-bauer-throws-tantrum-on-teammates-in-japanese-league/

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/jan/17/trevor-bauer-japan-ridge-alkonis-tweet

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/trevor-bauer-called-out-japan-disrespectful-celebration-sword/614663

• Upvote 1

For those who haven't watched the interviews/links that are on page 8 here, especially those who have pre-judged Bauer as a monster, I think that these basically paint something much different.  And goes to what @Malike says about lies and setups to meet a goal.  This seems to prove that he got a raw deal from a predator who was trying to extort his money.  If you haven't watched, and want to know what this was all about, this stuff is pretty powerful in his favor.

It still doesn't answer the questions about clubhouse presence and positive leadership though.  That's a different, and also important concern.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

For those who haven't watched the interviews/links that are on page 8 here, especially those who have pre-judged Bauer as a monster, I think that these basically paint something much different.  And goes to what @Malike says about lies and setups to meet a goal.  This seems to prove that he got a raw deal from a predator who was trying to extort his money.  If you haven't watched, and want to know what this was all about, this stuff is pretty powerful in his favor.

It still doesn't answer the questions about clubhouse presence and positive leadership though.  That's a different, and also important concern.

FWIW, one of the most respected players in MLB, Mookie Betts, called Bauer an “awesome guy”.