Bauer interested in O's

Bigbie03

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I hear you, but the fact that he wants to play for the league minimum has to be enticing to our ownership group. I think we’d have to tell him to tone down his mound antics and social media stuff. Just fly under the radar with boring post game answers. Not the “I told you so” crusade that seems inevitable. 

League minimum is enticing to every team.  Even if you guarantee he’s going to be a saint no one thinks he’s worth the public relations blowback.   If it was simply clubhouse stuff he’d be signed somewhere already.  Either he’s being collectively blackballed by the league or there isn’t one team that’s willing to alienate a segment of their fans.   Whether that’s protests outside their stadium or just some angry fans threatening to never come to another game.  

20 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

At this point it's either going to happen or not. Continuing the Bauer debate without any new information seems like it's just two sides continuing the same arguments.

Yet, the beat goes on ..........................................................................................................................................................................................!

18 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Yet, the beat goes on ..........................................................................................................................................................................................!

Some can't help themselves. 

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

League minimum is enticing to every team.  Even if you guarantee he’s going to be a saint no one thinks he’s worth the public relations blowback.   If it was simply clubhouse stuff he’d be signed somewhere already.  Either he’s being collectively blackballed by the league or there isn’t one team that’s willing to alienate a segment of their fans.   Whether that’s protests outside their stadium or just some angry fans threatening to never come to another game.  

The Ravens potential Zay Flowers situation might a good distraction if Bauer signed here. 

I don’t think the average person cares enough about the Bauer stuff. The Terps are having a hard time finding NIL money for men’s and women’s NCAAB. The Ravens just lost in the playoffs. The Commanders just hired a new coach and Kliff Klingsbury. The Capitals and Wizards are homeless. The Presidential election is coming up. Hogan vs Trone senate race.

There’s plenty of hot button sports/non sports in this area for this to be a huge story. We could sign him on a Friday afternoon and all will be forgotten by Monday.

We may want to negotiate some sort of staying off social media clause.

I don’t care one way or the other. I just want to win. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

I won't further the Bauer debate, but will say that I actually like the guy and his intensity, although I don't approve of losing his cool on the field.  That would need to change.

And, while I'd love to hang out and have a beer with him, I probably wouldn't want my sister to date him, if I had a sister. 🤓

Come onnnnnnnn.....page 16........

Mine are based on what he does on the field when things aren't going his way. He has embarrassed his team, his coach(es), himself. He's a loose cannon IMO, and I believe that the chemistry on the O's is very very high. Not worth the risk.

PASS!

If we were to sign Bauer, it would probably make sense to do it a few games into ST for several reasons. It wouldn’t mess with the initial excitement. The desperation for us to make a move starts to hit home more. As in, “ok this is really happening. Irvin is our #5.”  Then I would only let Bauer start home games in front of what should be more “friendly” crowds. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If we were to sign Bauer, it would probably make sense to do it a few games into ST for several reasons. It wouldn’t mess with the initial excitement. The desperation for us to make a move starts to hit home more. As in, “ok this is really happening. Irvin is our #5.”  Then I would only let Bauer start home games in front of what should be more “friendly” crowds. 

I'm not in favor of signing Bauer, but he's not someone who would care whether a crowd was friendly or not.

22 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

If the Orioles were interested, this would be done and over with by now.

I agree. Regardless of whether any of us would consider him or not (I would be fine with it). I don’t think this is something that hasn’t already been considered and given the lack of action…discarded.