Jorge Mateo 2024

Just Regular

1 hour ago, Too Tall said:

I really like watching Mateo play. That back to back triple with Gunnar was a special see. When Mateo is just average, he can light up a game. I hope he shows he can do all year this year. With him and Gunnar up the middle you don't need much more. I know, Mullins says Hi! Talk about strong up the middle!!!! 

Jorge looks good when he takes the outside fastball to RF.  I almost don’t want to see him pull any home runs.   He’s playing high level defense at 2B right now too.  He’s never been able to maintain a good approach at the plate.  Will this be the year?

• Upvote 1

There was one AB later in the game when he swung at a couple low and aways. You could see him admonish himself, but he did lay off of the next one. I don't care if he hits honers or not, just getting on base is a huge bonus.

He’s been an interesting case where he seems to get scorching hot for a month and then ice cold the rest of the season. He’s been a little less scorching and a little more steady thus far. I still expect him to go ice cold because that’s his career MO. But he’s filled in quite  nicely. 

Really impressive how Mateo has gone from an afterthought to back into the starting lineup and he is really grabbing the opportunity. Just has to keep that center/right field stroke going this time. 

1 hour ago, Dunk35 said:

If Mateo could ever close the low and away breaking ball hole in his swing from a RHP, he'd be a full time starter. 

Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but Mateo seems to be learning what he should be trying to do at the plate. I'd like to see him add drag bunting to his repertoire.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Mateo has a 299 OBP.

Why the confused emoji on my defense comment? You disagree? I was specifically not mentioning Mateo's offensive abilities. Just in a vacuum, defensively, they pair well and make a lot of plays. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Why the confused emoji on my defense comment? You disagree? I was specifically not mentioning Mateo's offensive abilities. Just in a vacuum, defensively, they pair well and make a lot of plays. 

Because saying it’s been pretty incredible is way over the top. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Mullins has a .249 OBP. Santander has a .290 OBP. I'm not sure what the point is here. 

Mateo has a 119 OPS+. 

The point is a 299 OBP blows.

I appreciate that he’s doing a good job hitting the baseball right now but I think people are, yet again, overreacting to SSS and making over the top comments about things.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Because saying it’s been pretty incredible is way over the top. 

I'm just saying they have the ability to make well-above-average plays. Like that barehanded play yesterday. Mateo has had a few rangey plays that featured his arm cannon lately as well. I don't really see "pretty incredible" being a huge exaggeration here. They are fun to watch together. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The point is a 299 OBP blows.

I appreciate that he’s doing a good job hitting the baseball right now but I think people are, yet again, overreacting to SSS and making over the top comments about things.

I don't expect Mateo to continue to be this good but I'm going to enjoy him while he is. I can't really bring myself to complain about his offensive game when some of our regular hitters have yet to eclipse Mateo's OBP mark. I'll reserve my Mateo complaints for when he is no longer playing like one of our better position players. 

I find much more to complain about with Mullins, Santander, Hays, McCann, and Urias. 

Edited by interloper