Jorge Mateo 2024

Just Regular

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

He has as much value in those situations as Cano?  Kimbrel?

Did you know that one metric had an Oriole player as the most valuable baserunner in MLB last year?

It wasn't Mateo...

COC chooses "Keep Crying"

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He has as much value in those situations as Cano?  Kimbrel?

Did you know that one metric had an Oriole player as the most valuable baserunner in MLB last year?

It wasn't Mateo...

Yeah, but don't you know that that guy was supposed to be sent to AAA when he was struggling early last year??  

15 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Jorge Mateo is part of this team. He has a role to fill. He adds as much value to the team in late inning, close game situations as anybody else on the roster. If he performs well at the plate, and earns starts, it is just a bonus.

Deal with it, haters.

Or keep crying.

Your choice.

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

You compared him to pitchers.

Keep crying

Are pitchers not on the roster?

I don't expect you to actually read what other posters say but I did think you might read what you say.

1 minute ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Yeah, but don't you know that that guy was supposed to be sent to AAA when he was struggling early last year??  

I know if I had one position player to rely on in a late inning close game situation that I would not pick Mateo.   I don't even think I'd pick him for a key stolen base, I'd be too worried he'd get himself picked off.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are pitchers not on the roster?

I don't expect you to actually read what other posters say but I did think you might read what you say.

They have no impact on Mateo being on the team or not.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know if I had one position player to rely on in a late inning close game situation that I would not pick Mateo.   I don't even think I'd pick him for a key stolen base, I'd be too worried he'd get himself picked off.

That's just bitter hating.

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Look I get it, but you wouldn't pick him over McKenna? Not many teams have a guy even as good as Mateo on the bench for the hypothetical situation you describe. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Look I get it, but you wouldn't pick him over McKenna? Not many teams have a guy even as good as Mateo on the bench for the hypothetical situation you describe. 

I'd rather not pick either him or McKenna. 

I want as many of the guys in Norfolk, that have been putting up numbers, in the majors as possible.

I don't think there is enough value in a late inning stolen base threat to warrant a roster spot in today's game.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd rather not pick either him or McKenna. 

I want as many of the guys in Norfolk, that have been putting up numbers, in the majors as possible.

I don't think there is enough value in a late inning stolen base threat to warrant a roster spot in today's game.

I can't really argue with your last point. I think mostly they just think he's more valuable than McKenna and will thus replace McKenna's role on the roster. Whether or not that role is needed, like you say, is another story. But it is what it is, he's on the team barring a last second trade. The Orioles clearly value keeping as much depth as possible, even when it kind of absurdly limits their ability to run out a championship caliber pitching staff, because they just don't want to trade anybody. We could have and should have beaten the Cease offer, but here we are. 

• Upvote 1