Jorge Mateo 2024

Just Regular

19 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

I also like what Mateo brings but me thinks the less said the better. May is almost here. And, last year is still fresh in my memory!😄  Rooting for him to do a WHOLE year as a super sub!

It’s gonna be Mayteo this year. It would be huge if we could get him to a good defender at the OF spots.  His hitting is a bonus.  We need to try and develop him for late game OF defense too. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Sure.   IF he can maintain his .721 OPS he adds some real value to the team.   History shows he can't do it.   Here's to hoping he proves history wrong this time. 

Eh. He was statistically the worst hitter in baseball after April last year, and he was still a .750 ops vs lefties. This year his splits are even more pronounced (tho he’s been barely exposed to righties). He and Urias are actually a pretty solid platoon given their splits (and Urias reverse splits). If we use him properly (defensive replacement, pinch runner and only start va lefties), then he can absolutely add tons of value for the team.  

ironically, I say this on a day he’s starting against a righty…

11 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Mateo has outplayed Urias decisively enough this month it won't shock me if he starts the next 5 games.     I think Sigbot thinks Mateo's skills keep better against the best competition than Urias'.    

Maybe it would have been different if they'd held the game Friday night, but I'd had today circled mentally as a possible Gunnar off day.    I guess that will have to wait until at least Cincinnati, or maybe Sigbot actually is going to let a path to 162 games played open up a little bit.

36 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Eh. He was statistically the worst hitter in baseball after April last year, and he was still a .750 ops vs lefties. This year his splits are even more pronounced (tho he’s been barely exposed to righties). He and Urias are actually a pretty solid platoon given their splits (and Urias reverse splits). If we use him properly (defensive replacement, pinch runner and only start va lefties), then he can absolutely add tons of value for the team.  

But we don't platoon them and obviously our analytics department doesn't believe in reverse splits

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

But we don't platoon them and obviously our analytics department doesn't believe in reverse splits

We didn’t platoon them before because we had holiday or kemp up. Now that we have a true backup cf option and Mateo doesn’t have to be available as emergency cf (and one of them HAS to start every day with westburg and Gunnar the only other infielders), I fully expect to see a platoon anytime westburg and Gunnar are playing. 

edit: agreed we tend to not utilize Urias for reverse splits, but that is partly because we have soooooooo many left handed options and no righties. Given the current roster makeup, they kind of have to platoon unless you just close your eyes and pick one each day. This is the first time I’m aware they’ve started Mateo against a righty, so I expect the platoon as long as holida is down (assuming no other infielders are called up or claimed)

Edited by OsFanInOhio

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Mateo has outplayed Urias decisively enough this month it won't shock me if he starts the next 5 games.     I think Sigbot thinks Mateo's skills keep better against the best competition than Urias'.    

Maybe it would have been different if they'd held the game Friday night, but I'd had today circled mentally as a possible Gunnar off day.    I guess that will have to wait until at least Cincinnati, or maybe Sigbot actually is going to let a path to 162 games played open up a little bit.

Mateo has exactly 7 at bats all season against righties. Which might be why he has potentially seemed to outplay Urias decisively. 

Urias also has very little value as a bench player due to being slow and reverse splits when we have so many better left handed hitting options on the bench (kjerstad). So if you don’t start him vs righties now (where Mateo is a huge liability), then he doesn’t belong on the roster other than as a defensive replacement and nothing else. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Mateo has exactly 7 at bats all season against righties. Which might be why he has potentially seemed to outplay Urias decisively. 

Urias also has very little value as a bench player due to being slow and reverse splits when we have so many better left handed hitting options on the bench (kjerstad). So if you don’t start him vs righties now (where Mateo is a huge liability), then he doesn’t belong on the roster other than as a defensive replacement and nothing else. 

Agreed on the tiny amount of play v. RHP - even Tony Kemp, never mind Jackson Holliday, was tried before getting this far down the preference list.

We'll see how they come at Clarke Schmidt and Luis Gil next series....seems sure he'll be in against Nestor and Rodon.

I don't know that I've seen Ryan Mountcastle start many double plays with his Arm, but Mateo helping one occur last night may have been the first 3-6-4 double play I've ever seen.

He should get Carlos Rodon tomorrow afternoon, but will he also get Luis Gil tonight?

Jackson Holliday did the usual Norfolk stuff with a bunch of hits and helping the team back to 10+ runs as the first full week of his reset began.

Mateo will play tomorrow versus Rodon, but it has to be tempting to ride with him tonight.  His OPS is at .736.  I think a lot of his big struggles last year is that he had a leg injury in May and that threw a wrench in whatever he had working.  I see no harm in starting him tonight and tomorrow.  Gotta ride the hot hand.  

He's just such a force on the bases and in front of Gunnar.  Urias plays up better on the road.  

Another big game for Mateo.  The play where he ran down the throw that got past Mountcastle, whirled and threw a one hop strike to Gunnar to cut down Jonathan India was unbelievable.  In fact, it was quite clear that India couldn’t believe it.  And, of course, the homer, and another hit.  He’s been a real asset this year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Another big game for Mateo.  The play where he ran down the throw that got past Mountcastle, whirled and threw a one hop strike to Gunnar to cut down Jonathan India was unbelievable.  In fact, it was quite clear that India couldn’t believe it.  And, of course, the homer, and another hit.  He’s been a real asset this year.

It’s a good role for him.  He has taken to second well and he’s not playing vs righties. A smaller part time role is a better use of him.

He hadn’t proved in the past that he could play other positions but he’s showing it this year.

• Upvote 1