Jorge Mateo 2024

Just Regular

Mateo isn’t some savior. Obviously. But we see what speed and the threat of SB does. Maybe we don’t need to pray for Mayo, and just play Mateo more over Urias. Defensively Mateo 2B + Westburg 3B > Urias 3B + Westburg 2B. Mateo’s range. 

Mateo is hot right now and I hope he gets more playing time until he cools down.  This is probably his "month" of 2024.  I've come around to Mateo being a good utility player.  I would like to see him get more time in the OF.  I would much rather see Mateo in RF than O'Hearn. 

Great sequence in the 10th where Mateo singled, driving in Westburg, stole 2nd and went to 3rd on the overthrow.  Then Mateo scored on a wild pitch.  I've joined the Mateo fan club, at least as a utility player.  Having Mateo on base has to drive pitchers crazy.

• Upvote 1

As mentioned, he is in the perfect role. He has average splits vs. lefties and when he gets on he's almost always finding a way to score. Having his glove at second base probably makes him the best in the league there. Speed kills and doesn't slump.

Jorge might not be an everyday player but he is the type of person you want on your team in October.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I believe Mateo had a hip injury around this time last year. Hope it’s not the same one. 

That is correct. I think that was the major downfall for his season last year. He tried to play through it because players like Westburg were knocking on the door. He needs to get more opportunities vs RHP.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I believe Mateo had a hip injury around this time last year. Hope it’s not the same one. 

I thought he said after the game that he just lost his wind? I'm hoping he's not injured beyond that because he's been pretty decent in a limited role this season.

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This was probably really fun to see in person. 

What was the time from 1st to home on that play? How fast was he running?

(I don't know where to look that up)

• 2 weeks later...

Jorge is playing 2b excellently, hitting the ball well enough, and doing what he's supposed to do with the legs once he gets on base. I'm excited to see Holliday back later this summer, but Mateo is filling the role very well so far. 

29 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Jorge is playing 2b excellently, hitting the ball well enough, and doing what he's supposed to do with the legs once he gets on base. I'm excited to see Holliday back later this summer, but Mateo is filling the role very well so far. 

He will probably continue to fill the role when Holliday comes up. As the short side of the platoon while we hide Jackson from lefties, and given spot rest to Gunnar / westburg / Mullins. Plus late game pinch runner. 

36 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Mateo's playing great, you can really tell he's getting comfortable at 2nd. If he keeps it up I could see Hyde sticking with him longer than some would expect.

3 minutes ago, The B&G said:

Mateo's playing great, you can really tell he's getting comfortable at 2nd. If he keeps it up I could see Hyde sticking with him longer than some would expect.

I mean if he "keeps it up" he's an above average starting 2B in MLB so yeah Hyde will ride with that. 

I really like watching Mateo play. That back to back triple with Gunnar was a special see. When Mateo is just average, he can light up a game. I hope he shows he can do all year this year. With him and Gunnar up the middle you don't need much more. I know, Mullins says Hi! Talk about strong up the middle!!!!