Robinson Canó Signs With The Diablos Rojos of the Mexican League

RZNJ

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

What don't you get?

Why a guy who’s set for life wants to keep playing baseball in a “minor league” for relative peanuts.   

1.  He’s Dominican and a U.S citizen.  Odds are that he’s away from home playing in Mexico.

2. Family, friends, etc. are probably not in Mexico

3. I don’t get why he’d rather hang on playing rather than 

a) retire and enjoy his money

b) be close to family and friends (apparently he has a kid in the Dominican who lives with his ex wife)

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Why a guy who’s set for life wants to keep playing baseball in a “minor league” for relative peanuts.   

1.  He’s Dominican and a U.S citizen.  Odds are that he’s away from home playing in Mexico.

b) be close to family and friends (apparently he has a kid in the Dominican who lives with his ex wife)

Maybe he doesn't want to be near his ex wife 🤣

Just now, RZNJ said:

How about his kid?   

It was a joke.  But he can probably afford to fly his kid anywhere.

I dunno, I think you're looking a little too far into it.  Probably a combination of loving to play baseball and not knowing what to do with himself when he retires.  I think for you and me, we'd have no problem kicking up our feet and doing precisely *nothing* if we had that amount of money.  I know I would.  I mean, I'd do stuff that I enjoy but I certainly wouldn't do anything related to work.

I think guys that play pro sports at a high level really have a hard time figuring out what to do after.  I mean, Tom Brady shouldn't have to do anything at all, but he's gearing up to do color commentary for this upcoming football season.  

So...yeah, go play in the Mexican league.  Probably a really easy pace of life compared to the MLB lifestyle, gets to rap out a few more hits, experiment with whatever PEDs he couldn't use while playing in the States, make a few bucks and have a good time doing it.  Doesn't seem all that bad to me.  

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Why don't they just retire at 32 or so?

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wonder if Taylor Swift is having sensitive conversations with her boyfriend about the wisdom of that kind of move if he's really committed to this thing long-term.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's 41.  Played at the highest level.  Made hundreds of millions.   Now he's in the Mexican league.    Maybe a picture would help you?

9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He's 41.  Played at the highest level.  Made hundreds of millions.   Now he's in the Mexican league.    Maybe a picture would help you?

Love of the game.  It’s addicting.  We are all kids at heart & baseball is a kids game. 

15 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Love of the game.  It’s addicting.  We are all kids at heart & baseball is a kids game. 

Guess so.  You don’t see many if any American players with his type of career and earnings who would play AAA or independent ball because “they love the game”.   In fact, players like Votto or Donaldson would rather retire if they can’t get a ML gig for a certain minimum of millions of dollars.

10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Guess so.  You don’t see many if any American players with his type of career and earnings who would play AAA or independent ball because “they love the game”.   In fact, players like Votto or Donaldson would rather retire if they can’t get a ML gig for a certain minimum of millions of dollars.

Jones went to Japan.

• Upvote 1